The BIG Star wars question

Anakin had mother issues (murdered by Sandpeople) and arguably daddy issues as well (he didn't have one!). I'm sure there's a lot of Freudian material here.

Also Sideous manipulated him and Obi-Wan chopped him up. So lots of problems.
This makes a pretty good case for his fall to the darkside being more about the hypocracy of the jedi. How Anakin was out of step with them and that the Sith were not as evil as the Jedi make them out to be

Last edited by a moderator:
Since we're talking about Vader....I was wondering. The official cannon of how he becomes Vader was the fear of losing Padme, which was quite different than most would have expected. So what were most of you hoping the reason other than it ended up being for his turn to the dark side.
They did show he had some anger issues, but that seemed more like a side thing when compared to saving her.

Expand on the meadow scene in AOTC. Where he's frustrated at being handicapped by the political b.s. and says someone should force them all to agree. Padme says it sounds like a dictatorship. He says "if it works...", realizes what he said, laughs it off as a joke. But I like it as a glimpse into what's really going on in his head.

--Jonah

Expand on the meadow scene in AOTC. Where he's frustrated at being handicapped by the political b.s. and says someone should force them all to agree. Padme says it sounds like a dictatorship. He says "if it works...", realizes what he said, laughs it off as a joke. But I like it as a glimpse into what's really going on in his head.

--Jonah
The clone wars goes into much more detail a out this.

Frankly, I would argue that Ashoka had far more to do with his mistrust of the Jedi than padme

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This makes a pretty good case for his fall to the darkside being more about the hypocracy of the jedi. How Anakin was out of step with them and that the Sith were not as evil as the Jedi make them out to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSbwAJT8RE&t=8s

c0400a861b4487c7d2620b2d1c2ec717.jpg

J

Hey halliwax, is that Prowse documentary still streaming on Netflix? Google says it's called, "I Am Your Father", but I did a search for that on Netflix and nothing came up.

The Wook

sorry for the late reply wook, Xcelsior has it right!

its a excellent documentary, when they are interviewing some of the staff at the end, they really get snappy about defending Lucas' decision on banning Prowse from everything star wars related

sorry for the late reply wook, Xcelsior has it right!

its a excellent documentary, when they are interviewing some of the staff at the end, they really get snappy about defending Lucas' decision on banning Prowse from everything star wars related

No worries, halliwax, I knew you'd get around to it. I'm stoked to watch it tonight!

The Wook

Hey halliwax, is that Prowse documentary still streaming on Netflix? Google says it's called, "I Am Your Father", but I did a search for that on Netflix and nothing came up.

The Wook

No worries, halliwax, I knew you'd get around to it. I'm stoked to watch it tonight!

The Wook

again, i thought it was amazing! report back on what u think :thumbsup

I saw it as well. Great little documentary. I wish Disney would start to treat him better, bring him back into the fold so to speak, before
he becomes one with the force. No one has even come close to his portrayal of Vader. Prowse is Vader, period.
I think he got unfairly blacklisted by Lucas and it just keeps right on going. Love to see the re-shot ROTJ ending they did, with
Mr. Prowse back in black.

I thought the reasoning for Anakin's fall made sense, but it was too condensed to seem realistic to a lot of people. I think they almost needed an entire movie to show all the things hinted at in the movie and novel to get people to where they thought it made sense. In AOTC he says they are holding him back, then in ROTS he doesn't trust the Jedi for some reason, we see Palpatine planting that in his head, the Jedi not making him a master, and then asking him to spy on Palpatine. It's all there, but it should have played out over a longer period.

I thought the reasoning for Anakin's fall made sense, but it was too condensed to seem realistic to a lot of people. I think they almost needed an entire movie to show all the things hinted at in the movie and novel to get people to where they thought it made sense. In AOTC he says they are holding him back, then in ROTS he doesn't trust the Jedi for some reason, we see Palpatine planting that in his head, the Jedi not making him a master, and then asking him to spy on Palpatine. It's all there, but it should have played out over a longer period.
Have you watched the clone wars?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've posted this a dozen times on this forum, but I'm posting it again.
THIS is how you do a believable fall to the dark side with characters that people actually care about:

In "Dr Horrible" I actually CARE about Billy Buddy, and I care about Penny.
THIS little mini-masterpiece chokes me up at the end.
The prequels... sorry, guys - I couldn't be moved to give a damn.
I wanted to jump through the screen and kill Little Orphan Annie myself.
And Padme?... Yah, she's nice to look at, but there's nothing there to fall in love with.
She's a one-night-stand at best. And IRL, unless she took an interest in me, I wouldn't want anything to do with her.
Plus, Annie is such an overt FREAKY PERVERT, and downright whiney SCUMBAG, I don't believe for a MOMENT that a QUEEN would have anything to do with him.
Apparently, in George Lucas's world, all you have to do is tell a girl you love her and she'll love you right back.
Does that guy even live on the same planet as me?
And please don't tell me I "need to watch the Clone Wars cartoon", because I'm not going to.
I'm a grown-up with a job and better things to do than watch cartoons. (no offense, astro)
If a movie (3 movies!) needs 6 seasons of a frakking cartoon to start to make sense, then maybe the movie (3 movies!) weren't very good to start with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've posted this a dozen times on this forum, but I'm posting it again.
THIS is how you do a believable fall to the dark side with characters that people actually care about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw5vZjRfAno

In "Dr Horrible" I actually CARE about Billy Buddy, and I care about Penny.
THIS little mini-masterpiece chokes me up at the end.
The prequels... sorry, guys - I couldn't be moved to give a damn.
I wanted to jump through the screen and kill Little Orphan Annie myself.
And Padme?... Yah, she's nice to look at, but there's nothing there to fall in love with.
She's a one-night-stand at best. And IRL, unless she took an interest in me, I wouldn't want anything to do with her.
Plus, Annie is such an overt FREAKY PERVERT, and downright whiney SCUMBAG, I don't believe for a MOMENT that a QUEEN would have anything to do with him.
Apparently, in George Lucas's world, all you have to do is tell a girl you love her and she'll love you right back.
Does that guy even live on the same planet as me?
And please don't tell me I "need to watch the Clone Wars cartoon", because I'm not going to.
I'm a grown-up with a job and better things to do than watch cartoons. (no offense, astro)

If a movie (3 movies!) needs 6 seasons of a frakking cartoon to start to make sense, then maybe the movie (3 movies!) weren't very good to start with.

Uh, I'm pretty sure that no one who hangs out on this forum can ever tell any other person here to grow up and do adult things.

We're debating star wars online

anyone with an amazon FireTV, do a voice search for: I am your father.

I thought it might be on amazon prime video (it is but not free)

The dev team made that statement an easter egg. The alexa response is funny.

so you have to actually type it in to find it.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back