Question Regarding "Stamping" Plastic

Fettbat

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stamp plastic (I think that's the right term). I'm trying to add serial numbers to a couple of my props and I'm not sure where to start with it.

Thanks

- AR

You can try branding it.
You can get custom brands on Etsy.

Or you can find metal stamping tools that you could heat.

Something like this.

Last edited:
If you use metal stamping tools, you probably won't need heat. If it's a sturdy enough prop, a few taps with a hammer should imprint a number fairly well. I was able to "stamp" a plastic airsoft gun with just hand pressure.

I'd be careful cold stamping. Some plastics are brittle (like acrylic, for instance) and will crack or shatter if you try to stamp them.
The hot stamp/branding should work better on those. And it doesn't have to be glowing red hot either, just warm enough for the plastic to soften
when you press it into the surface.

Thanks for the info, Duncantor and GrenadeKing. I imagine if it was too hot the plastic would goo up on the stamp yea? It's the cheapo airsoft ABS plastic I'm thinking of stamping.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back