Info on urethane rubber for costumes?

Amanita

I'm designing a costume inspired by a skyscraper that I like- 450 Park Avenue of New York City, and I've got a rough idea for the outfit.
I want to have a long sleeveless vest with four panels decorated with raised elements made to look like the building's distinct windows:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5494/10999681234_cb33afa61e_b.jpg

I would have two panels with these rubber pieces in front, and two in back, you can see the front ones in this little character sketch:

15977376_10210268204276041_6974960719999894490_n.jpg

After seeing some superhero costumes incorporating similar pieces (Superman's chest symbol, Spiderman's chest and back spiders and raised web patterns), I'm sure that urethane rubber would be a good choice. But I know nothing about working with the stuff. Does it come in different hardnesses? I don't want it too stiff, probably on par with what you would use for a Superman applique, or a sturdy Halloween mask. I'd also want it in solid black, perhaps with the areas meant to look like the windows being shiny, while the surrounding frame is a little more matte. Could that be done? Can I get it in black or tint it the exact color I want?
Also, how durable is it? Can I safely sit when wearing that long coat, since the pieces on the back panels are liable to be sat on?

Also, how hard is it to obtain, and how toxic is it to work with? Do I need any specialized equipment or safety gear at all?

Hi Amanita,

personally I think Latex 60 would be suitable for your situation:

Fast forward to 04:43

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back