Looking for an air compressor for airbrushing

ERen89

My uncle gave me his set of airbrushes of three different kinds and I'm finally taking the step I should have long ago and purchasing an air compressor. However I have no idea what to look for. I want to ask you guys for some tips on how to find one. Obviously budget is important I'm looking probably no more than 200. I'll be using it for literally almost everything I do that requires painting so not just limited to models.

Personally I prefer a medium sized compressor mounted to an air tank, the kind used for small pneumatic tools and such. Can be found under $200

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got the Expo kit. It's pretty decent and reliable so far. Not sure how big a job it could do though. When you say jobs other than models, what do you mean?

Last edited:
I got the Expo kit that's £100-£120 in the UK. It's pretty decent and reliable so far. Not sure how big a job it could do though. When you say jobs other than models, what do you mean?
Nail guns, pneumatic tools. That's what I originally bought my compressor for but decided it worked great for an airbrush too. Fill up tank, airbrush noise free for several sessions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anyone has experience with this one please let me know how it has been. I'm getting it tomorrow thanks to one day shipping

I tried using my air tool 43L air compressor that I got for $180 for airbrushing, but it's just too loud and when I'm airbrushing at night, it kicks in and holy monkey it's 10x loud!.

If you just want to airbrush I would recommend one of these in size. They purr like a kitten and are extremely quiet. They have a small air reservoir and they kick in often, but because they are so quiet, it's hardly noticeable. $90 with Free shipping

s-l500.jpg

I have a small compressor made for modeling - but I find it a Pain to use... I've switched to the compressor I use to run air tools for working on cars - nail guns etc. You just need a decent regulator to bring the pressure down to a reasonable (for airbrushing) level. and the hose piping to bring it down to airbrush size. I think I found the right adapter at lowes for around $5 The compressor I bought on sale at Home Depot (33 Gallon) for $200. There are a LOT smaller ones that would work as well... but as someone mentioned above you want one that has an air tank. The airtank gives an even pressure, and the compressor is not running all the time. With mine I usually just let it pump all the way up then turn the regulator down and paint... the compressor rarely ever comes back on. of course you need the space for stuff like that.

Jedi Dade

Anyone has experience with this one please let me know how it has been. I'm getting it tomorrow thanks to one day shipping

I bought one that same brand very similar to that one. That might be the newer version of the one that I bought. It works well, I've had no issues with it. I would recommend getting quick releases for your airbrushes.

Having used an airbrush commercially for 30 yrs as a commercial artist,..

I recommended tanked air (Co2 really). Same thing restaurants use to run pop fountains, Coke, Pepsi etc.

Or use a compressor that has a air tank attached.

I tried using my air tool 43L air compressor that I got for $180 for airbrushing, but it's just too loud and when I'm airbrushing at night, it kicks in and holy monkey it's 10x loud!.

If you just want to airbrush I would recommend one of these in size. They purr like a kitten and are extremely quiet. They have a small air reservoir and they kick in often, but because they are so quiet, it's hardly noticeable. $90 with Free shipping

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/a/T2eC16dHJIQE9qUHuF!wBP7SNT215Q~~/s-l500.jpg

Hey Yaris, What is the brand/model on this?

I like those silent models from California Air Tools, I intend to get one soon. Right now I use a Harbor Freight with a 9 gallon tank. Loud as hell, but I have two extra tanks connected so it's 30 gallons of air all together. I let it fill up then turn it off, I can spray a long time without interruption.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back