Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Im sure someone will come out and give me **** for it like someone did in another thread, but whatever :lol

welcome to the club. part of the fun of being a punching bag, I guess ;o).

although when i say stuff like that, rather than being sarcastic, apparently i'm playing the victim ;o).

:facepalm So apparently someone at Lucasfilm said "You know how in the old EU the Mon Cal ships were converted cruise liners that had weapons, armor, and shields added? Well I've got a better idea. They're actually parts of buildings, shot into space! Briliant!" So was the B team working on that book? Oh and Death Troopers are zombies? C'mon! WTH is going on over there?

I stopped reading it. No way was it going to ruin my head canon of the Starlog Tech Manuals:lol

:wacko

But seriously, that was horrible of them to come up with.

Last edited:
where the heck has this thread gone?! :wacko anyone see that new star wars movie rogue one?! yeah it was pretty good!

whats a SJW?
Social Justice Warrior.

"Social justice warrior" (commonly abbreviated SJW) is a pejorative term for an individual promoting socially progressive views, including feminism, civil rights, multiculturalism, and identity politics. The accusation of being an SJW carries implications of pursuing personal validation rather than any deep-seated conviction, and being engaged in disingenuous social justice arguments or activism to raise personal reputation, also known as virtue signalling.

Last edited by a moderator:
where the heck has this thread gone?! :wacko anyone see that new star wars movie rogue one?! yeah it was pretty good!
This is the "The movie has been out for a while, we've all said pretty much everything we wanted to say about it, so now we're going after the peripheral minutia that's only semi-related to the movie" part of the thread.

What!?!?

people liked this movie!?

jk.

i can honestly say I do get why people like this movie, it's just not for me... the problems I have are generally dismissed by most.

which is fine.... I mean I recently learned people love Space Jam... which is CRAZY...

Now that I think about it, Space Jam is actually a lot like Rogue One! Heh. Referencing a bunch of characters and world from 40 years earlier, and not being consistent with the tone of the world it came from

- - - Updated - - -

This is the "The movie has been out for a while, we've all said pretty much everything we wanted to say about it, so now we're going after the peripheral minutia that's only semi-related to the movie" part of the thread.

Also known as the "crap I have to kill 2 hours on the forum while I wait for my wife to finish work so let's argue about dumb stuff!" part of the thread

In a nutshell:

If you hated R1 you're a racist/sexist/bigot.

If you liked R1 you're a PC SJW.

Now you're all caught up.

I'll leave it alone after this, but just wanted to clarify..

not saying that either. just saying that some websites are hailing the diversity of the cast as the end all be all of this movie.
like here.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/...sity-makes-rogue-one-a-better-star-wars-movie

And don't insult your audience by saying male star wars fans don't matter as much anymore.

not much more to it than that. you can like this movie anyway you want. i just didn't like those aspects of it. it comes off as SJW material to me.
especially considering people have accepted diversity and women in power roles in star wars for a LONG time before these two movies came out.
hell, look at how much of a fan base aurra sing has and she only had a 5 second on screen presence (and her role in clone wars was awesome just like bobba fett before her.)

I found finn and rey far more likeable than most of the bland characters we got in R1.and they acted far better than Krennic did, who to me just came off like..'I'm evil...(Insert half felt 'yay' here!)'. Part of that may be due to the fact that this thing was reshot at least once, and may have lost some of it's narrative focus if so many things where changed from start to finish. Supposedly each scene was re written multiple times.

A quote from the article kind of sums it up... '
How does one put in some variety, some human variety? The same way you put in your barrage of allusions to other films, i.e., you just do it and don't make it a big thing.'
It is 2016 after all.

oh well...didn't mean to get people so excited. and putting it bluntly probably doesn't help either.

Dude. When someone says, "the male audience doesn't matter", they mean that the old model was to ONLY focus on the male audience.

They have now clued in that everyone is their audience.

(I realize that this is starting to sound like an "all lives matter conversation)

As for this being a conversation that isn't relevant, I say bollocks. Since star wars first came out, there has been a conversation about a lack of diversity. Racism in star wars was a conversation at the time of the prequels.

And now, they are consciously reacting to those years of criticism. Although is isn't a fun "in-world" topic, it's incredibly relevant

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As a 48 year old college educated white male I find it laughable when my peers and contemporaries complain they are suddenly being under represented in pop culture after ruling the roost for decades. When I see Felicity Jones as the hero, Donnie Yen, Diego Luna front and center in a SW film my reaction is good on 'ya. I don't feel threatened as some clearly do.

As a 48 year old college educated white male I find it laughable when my peers and contemporaries complain they are suddenly being under represented in pop culture after ruling the roost for decades. When I see Felicity Jones as the hero, Donnie Yen, Diego Luna front and center in a SW film my reaction is good on 'ya. I don't feel threatened as some clearly do.
Totally. But I think people are still giving credit where it isn't quite due.

She's still a smurfette in a world of dudes.

We need more women in films.

And we also need....Less attractive people. O want films where people look like real people. I was so thrilled that they let han and Leia look like old people. It was refreshing.

Dude. When someone says, "the male audience doesn't matter", they mean that the old model was to ONLY focus on the male audience.

They have now clued in that everyone is their audience.

yep,

I get that.

i thought it could have been said in a better way.

to me it just came off as a bit combative. probably a fallout after following feigbusters for so long.

And we also need....Less attractive people. O want films where people look like real people. I was so thrilled that they let han and Leia look like old people. It was refreshing.

While I agree that less attractive people would be nice...I don't mind seeing them on screen :).

However, I'm fat. I want more john candy's and Rosannes(from what I remember of the show) and less mellisa mcarthy's and Chris Farley's ;o).

While I agree that less attractive people would be nice...I don't mind seeing them on screen :).

However, I'm fat. I want more john candy's and Rosannes(from what I remember of the show) and less mellisa mcarthy's and Chris Farley's ;o).
Completely!

I'm not fat, but I remember when Roseanne came on when I was a kid. That show was such a revelation. Actors were allowed to look like people. It was fantastic.

We need so much more of it.

I don't love Space Jam. it's nothing but an ad for the NBA.

But if you ignore that, the Looney Tunes Portions of that are good. Plus it gave us lola as a fun new character :).

And Murray had a great ending part in it as well.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back