Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I haven't seen R1 yet, but this looks like a Skyrim NPC to me. They shouldn't have done this.

They should have done it; the narrative flow into ANH is fantastic. They just should have spent more time refining the CGI as much as they did for Tarkin.

One thing I wondered is why they didn't go to Lola VFX again and just de-age Carrie Fisher like they did in Ant-Man. What they did with Michael Douglas was absolutely fantastic. If they could have achieved equal results with Fisher, I am sure Disney could have made it worth her while to participate.

They probably figured for such a short scene, it wasn't as necessary compared to the amount of time Tarkin was on screen. I am curious now "what could have been", if they had de-aged Carrie though, just for curiosity's sake. I like it just the way it is now though.

I'm a firm believer that: 1. it won't matter on Blu Ray and; 2. the biggest problem was that we KNOW they weren't the real actors and it messes with our heads.

I think there is a definite difference in quality between Tarkin and Leia. To be fair, though, Tarkin's face has a lot more texture - wrinkles, blemishes, angles, etc. - and he's always shot in somewhat dim lighting, which I am guessing is all far more forgiving of the process than a smooth young face like Leia has on the brightly-lit bridge of the Tantive IV.

That having been said, given that Leia had only one single shot to make a huge punch as the (almost) last shot of the film, the effect could have stood a few more weeks of refinement.

Last edited:
My theory:

They wanted to show Princess Leia in the film and the handoff of the plans to her. They knew they couldn't drag the film out through what would probably be another 10 minutes of epilogue. So, instead of showing a ship escaping, meeting the Tantive IV, beaming the plans to the Tantive IV, and then Vader showing up to chase the Tantive IV, they just...compressed everything and had it be a disc that was handed.

It just ends up making the dialogue from the first film not make any sense because (A) the plans weren't beamed to that ship, and (B) Leia looks like an idiot when she says "Uh....what plans? We're a diplomatic ship! LOL"

In other words, this was done for the narrative punch of this film, rather than for the consistency of the story as a whole.

It's dumb, and in my opinion, if it couldn't be done right, it shouldn't have been done at all (or be left as a Blu-Ray add-on or something for an "extended edition now with 10 more min of footage!"), but there it is.
Perhaps, the could have shown the "big battle" referred to in the crawl as a diversion. Maybe the theft of the info could have been a smaller, tighter part of this and it could have been more of a sleuth story (that everyone assumed) that got the info to Leia.

Or maybe, the big battle where everyone dies could have been the end of act 2. Then the third act could have been with just Jin, getting the plans through the imperials and to leia

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

One thing that bugs me about this film (and TFA, as well) is the almost complete absence of OT and Prequel aliens.

I recognize that 1.) it's a big galaxy with a lot of sentient species; 2.) the filmmakers want to keep things fresh (and sell more toys); and 3.) they want to avoid the "Where's Waldo?" distraction of audiences constantly looking for alien callbacks instead of paying attention to the narrative.

However, for films that both try so very hard to tie back into OT, why are the Mon Cal, the Ponda Baba cameo and (maybe?) a Jawa in the Ring of Kafrene crowd all we see? It's like Rodians, Ithorians, Hutts, Twi'leks (no, Hera's paging in R1 doesn't count), Duros, Chevins, Bith, etc. never existed.

Again, I'm not saying they have to find a way to shove every OT/Prequel alien into the film, but a Rodian couldn't have been one of the Rebel pilots? We couldn't have seen a Duros or Twi'lek among the populace of Jedha?

A prime example, this guy:

rogue-one_10.jpg

Moroff, a Gigoran, one of Saw's Partisans. If you wanted a big, strong, white hairy alien - why couldn't he have just been a Talz?

One thing that bugs me about this film (and TFA, as well) is the almost complete absence of OT and Prequel aliens.

I recognize that 1.) it's a big galaxy with a lot of sentient species; 2.) the filmmakers want to keep things fresh (and sell more toys); and 3.) they want to avoid the "Where's Waldo?" distraction of audiences constantly looking for alien callbacks instead of paying attention to the narrative.

However, for films that both try so very hard to tie back into OT, why are the Mon Cal, the Ponda Baba cameo and (maybe?) a Jawa in the Ring of Kafrene crowd all we see? It's like Rodians, Ithorians, Hutts, Twi'leks (no, Hera's paging in R1 doesn't count), Duros, Chevins, Bith, etc. never existed.

Again, I'm not saying they have to find a way to shove every OT/Prequel alien into the film, but a Rodian couldn't have been one of the Rebel pilots? We couldn't have seen a Duros or Twi'lek among the populace of Jedha?

View attachment 695625

Moroff, a Gigoran, one of Saw's Partisans. If you wanted a big, strong, white hairy alien - why couldn't he have just been a Talz?

yep. it felt more like a middle east market place than a star wars market place because of that. also an extreme lack of droids walkinga round to boot. terrible.

View attachment 695625

If they would have done too much of that, other fans would complain they were not being origional enough....can't please everyone.

I thought they struck the right balance.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If they would have done too much of that, other fans would complain they were not being origional enough....can't please everyone.

I thought they struck the right balance.

I agree there's room for both, and you're right. As I said above, you don't want to overdo it. But the balance was just off-kilter for me.

Lucas and his team found ways to pepper Bith, Rodians, Aqualish, Arconans, Hutts, Twi'leks and other OT aliens into the background of the Prequels while still introducing Toydarians, Dugs, Neimoidians, Kel Dor, Geonosians, Zabraks, Gungans, etc. as front-and-center new aliens. I think he struck a better middle ground between old and new.

I'm very confused with Vader now. He was very physical, flashy, and badass when he killed those Rebel troopers...Then some 2-3 days later against Obi-Wan, just basic left and right lightsaber swings. Almost lazy.

Why is this?

Yes Rogue One and A New Hope are made different times but they could have at least made Vader in Rogue One similar to Ep 4 version. It's like two different characters.

I'm very confused with Vader now. He was very physical, flashy, and badass when he killed those Rebel troopers...Then some 2-3 days later against Obi-Wan, just basic left and right lightsaber swings. Almost lazy.

Why is this?

Yes Rogue One and A New Hope are made different times but they could have at least made Vader in Rogue One similar to Ep 4 version. It's like two different characters.

Carving up Rebel troopers is probably child's play for him. He would have to be far more cautious facing his old master.

- - - Updated - - -

For those up at arms about the diversity of this cast, I'd like you all to read this story and do your best to put yourself in this guy's shoes... because THIS is why diversity is, and should be, a thing.

http://huff.to/2hQaC1k

...but....but, pandering! ;)

Why is this?

Been covered on this forum already. Vader is facing his former master who sliced and diced him than left him for dead last time they met. I imagine Vaders a little aprehensive. Obi-Wan isn't the spring chicken he once was either.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Diversity is all well and fine. but FORCED diversity is the issue I have.

for instance, Kathleen Kennedy searching for a woman director JUST TO HAVE A WOMAN DIRECTOR, even if she's not right for the role.
Saying 'Like this movie BECAUSE of how diverse it is, not cause it's good or anything!' is just weird.....using diversity as a selling point rather than the characters as PEOPLE is also weird.

and then saying males don't matter as much anymore, that's also sitting wrong with me. because of statements like that, it's made me less excited for new star wars if these are the kind of people in charge.

and it's a shame. I love seeing people from different parts of the world on screen (I ESPECIALLY hate it when tv shows use forced subtitles for people from england and Ireland and Scotland,... perfectly understandable, you idiots!). but forcing the issue on it, and saying white people are basically evil isn't the way to go. The Comments from the R1 writers where especially bizarre...

but, again, not to delve too far into banned site topics like this..mods, feel free to edit.

feel free to tear apart in typical internet fashion :) if the mods allow it to stay up :)

Diversity is all well and fine. but FORCED diversity is the issue I have.

for instance, Kathleen Kennedy searching for a woman director JUST TO HAVE A WOMAN DIRECTOR, even if she's not right for the role.
Saying 'Like this movie BECAUSE of how diverse it is, not cause it's good or anything!' is just weird.....using diversity as a selling point rather than the characters as PEOPLE is also weird. and then saying males don't matter as much anymore, that's also sitting wrong with me. because of statements like that, it's made me less excited for new star wars if these are the kind of people in charge.

Kathleen Kennedy, LucasFilm, or Disney have ever said anything of the sort. That is a complete fiction. She never said she would hire a woman director even if she is not right for the role nor is there any anti-male bias you small feeble minded troll.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back