"2001: A Space Odyssey" Discovery Build

In theory the airbrush will produce a finer finish because the droplet size of airbrush spray is usually smaller than the droplet size from a spray can. Fine detail is better preserved by an airbrush coat.

In real terms I'll happily use spray cans for larger models and where the loss of detail is not an issue. You've got "the look" with your Discovery and given its likely display position and viewing distance, compatible spray can finish coat should be fine.

Well done on achieving your goal, the world needs more "2001".

I'm sorry, i'm the foul type, so i didn't read everything. What do you do to get the print lines of? Can you sandpaper it?

Epoxy coat it, sand and fill, or use pretty noxious chemicals to slightly melt the plastic to smooth it.

All methods lose fine detail regardless of how careful you are. This model has none of that done.

I got it hung up, temporarily, in my hobby room just to get it off of my desk. Hanging it's at less risk of damage from cats, or myself being clumsy.

CC5211F1-9BC2-4B3E-B530-DD077A09E540_zpsmoukccxd.jpg

1B002DD3-EE3B-448E-AA25-3824B1F9E211_zpsg3bri4qx.jpg

70058F60-C866-4F1F-A072-4BF68D498460_zpsqo1iktyg.jpg

21797B78-83E9-414F-B851-6410CF3BB6F0_zpsrbtwssxi.jpg

I think it looks really good hanging. It kind of makes me wonder if I should build a display case for it, or just build a backdrop of some type and hang it from the ceiling. I'll give that some though. My dad has offered to help me build a display case/box for it, so that is definitely an option. I've had a plan for something like that all along, but I'm wondering if the display case would limit some of the viewing angles and have it end up seeming like it's just a side view inside a box. If I were to just build a backdrop, I could have something behind it to make it so it's not just hanging in front of a wall, then build something that mounts to the ceiling to go above it. I could still have lights mounted in that portion above it, but it might let it be a bit more "open" for display.

Any thoughts guys?

Many options: if you hang it from the ceiling, you should use only one wire (one near the command module and the other near the engine module; as you have done already).
If you want a wall mount with a black background (with/without stars) you can try the dowel method: 2 black dowels attached to the background and the model resting on them.
But I would go with your Father's suggestion: under glass/plexi to protect it; dust is your enemy as you know I'm sure.

I think this is a hang it up model for sure. Looks GREAT up there! I think it was born for that kind of display. I mean you walk in the room and BAM!
You want to start working on that AE35 unit before it fails! Or maybe not. ;)
Only thing as said, one line on each side, there is very strong fishing line these days, I have many 1/18 aircraft hanging from the ceiling for years on them.

Still going back and forth on some display ideas.

It's no big deal, my dad has been dealing with a lot of stuff with my grandfather who fell and broke his hip a couple of weeks ago, so my dad has been with him pretty much non-stop. I want to wait until he has some time to spend working on it with me, as I feel it will help him get his mind off of my grandpa and let him just relax a bit.

He thinks we should create an entire enclosed display, and put glass along the front with a light inside of it. I'm thinking of a few different options that I'll need to run by him when I get together with him to actually go buy the supplies.

Either way, I'm planning on having a vinyl print of Jupiter made up that will go in the back of the display, to make it appear as if the ship is actually orbiting the planet. I think that will be really cool.

I do like the way it looks hanging from the ceiling...it allows you to be able to look at the entire thing. An enclosed case would make that difficult unless we put glass on both sides and somehow mounted it in the center of a room. What I'm kind of thinking is basically making a nice almost "upside down L" where the top of it would mount along the ceiling, the back along the wall. It would have a lip around the part touching the ceiling that would house the lights, and then the ship itself would hang down from the ceiling. Along the part of the "L" that is against the wall I would put the vinyl print of Jupiter. This would allow much more easy viewing of the ship from different angles.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back