Knight Rider reboot..2017

http://comicbook.com/2016/10/25/knight-rider-series-coming-to-machinima-from-fast-furiouss-justi/

I have no hope for this.

the last one was all wrong and totally boring.

if it's the fast and the furious guy, what's this one going to be, all explosions and chicks in bikini's?

sigh.

He made 1 fast and furious movie, also a few horror films, making the new aquaman movie and made the lastest star trek. Id say the resume is fine. and besides the original was explosions and chick in bikinis. it worked then, whats wrong with that now?

He made 1 fast and furious movie, also a few horror films, making the new aquaman movie and made the lastest star trek. Id say the resume is fine. and besides the original was explosions and chick in bikinis. it worked then, whats wrong with that now?

Now they'd leave out the substance and heart.

Star Trek was terrible. Never saw FF or horror. No faith in DC movies. so to me resume is objective ;o)

kitt will become a transformer. a car that talks... and transform's during turbo boost.... think about it.... :sick

They already did in the failed 2008 series.
That 2008 series was a continuation/soft reboot which seemed to ignore Knight Rider 2000.
The problem with it was that it was filmed in ****ty HD camcorders, looked like a home video by a college student, and the green screen was atrocious.

It did have all the Transformer Ford cars in there however, so that's already been done.
I found some episodes good but most were terrible and just didn't work.

They should have let the Hoff be part of it, he was only in the pilot and then tossed out like a jerk chicken for some strange reason.

They already did in the failed 2008 series.
That 2008 series was a continuation/soft reboot which seemed to ignore Knight Rider 2000.
The problem with it was that it was filmed in ****ty HD camcorders, looked like a home video by a college student, and the green screen was atrocious.

It did have all the Transformer Ford cars in there however, so that's already been done.
I found some episodes good but most were terrible and just didn't work.

They should have let the Hoff be part of it, he was only in the pilot and then tossed out like a jerk chicken for some strange reason.

Either he was asking too much money, or NBC didn't want to be that d irectly connected to the old series.

Either he was asking too much money, or NBC didn't want to be that d irectly connected to the old series.

He was in the pilot as I recall. I don't think he wanted to be on more than that though. By choice, not money. I think he was open to other appearances, but they wanted to set out on their own first.

As for this...pfft...nothing to get worked up over, it's the equivalent of a youtube series from the sound of it. The article has a point though of how to make it relevant in today's world. Granted, your car can't talk to you in normal speech still - but you've got Shield with full on human acting robots/androids, and a flying '50s vette.

And please, don't make another mistake of the 2008 version and ***** yourselves out for money by getting car companies to bid over what car will be kitt. Just pick one and go with it. The fact they played it out got get ford to fork over money to make it a mustang (IIRC) and then nearly ever car in the damn series being a ford was just eye-rollingly nauseating.

KITT should be a hypercar, and pushing the envelope not just of the possible but the plausible. They should also, however, do their best to stick to practical and not turn it into a CG-fest. Allowances for possible-but-cheaper-in-CG stuff like the '08 pilot's chameleon effect -- changing the color and trim package. But since KITT is supposed to stand out, just changing colors wouldn't be a good disguise -- it would be of more practical application as a camouflage mechanism (blending into darkness or terrain better).

May be hard to remember now, but the show premiered right at the same time as the Third Gen Firebird. It was a complete redesign, done in consultation with Learjet. Most aerodynamic car GM ever produced. First with fuel injection, first with a four-speed automatic gearbox. Take all of that and cram in the turbine engine and all the gadgets and you had something that was damn close to an American hypercar, before the term really existed (and certainly before America was making any hypercars).

I don't know what car I'd currently recommend for a new version of KITT (or whatever designation). Maybe one of the new Porsche 918 Spyders. Maybe a Nissan GT-R. Something rare and exotic and beautiful and sleek and dangerous and already full of cool innovations while still having room for more to be crammed in. Not a Mustang. I have a warm spot in my soul for Mustangs (except for the 2nd and 3rd generations -- and don't know yet how I feel about the 6th-gens)... But not for KITT.

More important, though, are these two points: 1) The Mission -- The original concept was a little Batman-y. The lone vigilante (albeit with surreptitious support) taking down villains who used the letter of the law to defeat the spirit of the law, helpign those who could not help themselves; 2) The Rapport -- The byplay between The Hoff and KITT was a lot of what made the show, like any buddy-cop story with the straight-laced long-suffering partner and the laid-back rule-breaker. The world and technology have changed a lot since 1982. That's part of why the 2008 sequel fell flat -- they couldn't redo the same thing as the original as it didn't fit any more, but their take went too big. There can be a larger organization doing big global things, but the show needs to be intimate -- about the lone vigilante and his partner/steed, mostly unsupported, out there in the wilderness (a wilderness that needs to be defined). A techno-Western. Yojimbo.

I think that's the biggest challenge facing any reboot/continuation. Where is the hero operating? Who is he acting against? How does he evade detection by the legitimate law-enforcement agencies? It needs to be something relatable to the audience. Maybe even casting a more favorable light on Hollywood's favorite whipping-demographic, the impoverished non-city-dweller. The farmer who's had his land ruined by fracking, or seized by Monsanto. The dead miner's family trying to get the mine owners' chokehold on the community off. Look at Leverage. They did this very well. Now try to find a way to do Leverage mashed up with Knight Rider without being derivative. If they can pull that off, I'll laud them from the rooftops. Difficult, but not impossible -- if the creative team give a damn about the property beyond hoping for a cash-out.

--Jonah

My thoughts:

-- Justin Lin did four Fast & Furious movies. His latter two will probably end up being the high point of the franchise. I say give him some credit. The F&F movies are steaming piles of crap in the same way that the old Rocky and Rambo movies are - they are "bad" but they sure look good compared to every other studio's attempts at ripping off the formula.

Comments above that I agree with:

-- The original Knight Rider succeeded on the Hoff & KITT's buddy-cop relationship. The Hoff playing Michael Knight was like Christopher Reeve playing Superman or Shatner playing Captain Kirk. It's a cheesy role but that doesn't mean just anyone could have pulled it off so well.

-- The biggest difficulty adapting the old premise is that KITT's gadgets aren't special anymore. Anything too special is implausible to modern viewers, and anything we totally believe is mundane now. We just live in a very techy world. I hope the show's producers realize that when your biggest fans are techies you need to put extra effort into making the tech seem plausible.

-- Fast & Furious has kept their product-placement urges under control and it pays off for them. Learn from that. They could probably name their price to put Vin Diesel into something other than a 1970 Dodge Charger, but they don't.

I'd even like to see a Custom from scratch car for KITT. BUT IT HAS TO HAVE A DESIGN AND SPECIAL FEATURES!

No crap CGI Turbo boost effect. do it all in camera.

No Crap eyeball for voice modulator and that's ALL THE design the car has, due to ford wanting the dash recognizable. It's got to have a REAL Dash and REAL design and LOOK like darth vaders bathroom.

It's GOT to have special features. KITT 08 really had NOTHING. Minus a goofy non mentioned super pursuit change/attack mode and changing into various ford cars. that's all i really remember it doing. it's like they didn't bother giving them a list of features the car could do.

NO SPREADING OUT AMONG EPISODES. do it the 80s wy. give us everyhing at once and if it's good, we'll always come back for more. AFter all,these days you arn't even garunteed 5 episodes, much less a season.

Oh, and Kitts voice needs to be british.

That is all :)

Why British? Willian Daniels is from Chicago and tends to speak with a "mid-Atlantic" East Coast accent. I say raid the talent in the expansive voice-actor pool. Maybe Michael Bell, who has done many, but who I know best as G1 Prowl. He has a bright, clear voice, and can convey a whole lot of complexity with it alone.

Of course, my dream voice is no longer possible -- Eartha Kitt. Change up the car's "gender", she had one of the most amazing voices ever, and the pun would have me giggling for ages.

As for revealing everything... They didn't in the original. Aside from KITT's voice display changing for the much better between S1 and S2, Super Pursuit Mode didn't even get invented by the creators until the second season, plus all the other gadgets that got added on the fly as episode necessity dictated. What I think is most important is that the creators sit down and say "what do we want it to be able to do, and what are the limits?" -- you know, what's too far. M.A.S.K. transforming vehicles might or might not be too much, depending on if it was done right. I don't want stuff coming out of nowhere, a la the '89 Batmobile armor. But I don't mind it being built in a way that it can intentionally alter its configuration, subtly or drastically, depending on what we're talking about. I definitely don't want Bayformers-level "if you break something down into small enough pieces, you can turn anything into anything else" philosophy of Mystique-style scales/miniplates/whatever flipping and rippling and such. It was innovative (even if not right for the character) in 2000. Now it's a trope, and I want those downplayed so as not to come off as cheesy.

If there's an "attack mode" or "off-road mode" or "severe damage scary backup personality" or stuff like that, I want it held back until a relevant episode, rather than have it all shoehorned into contrived circumstances in the first episode.

--Jonah

I always thought he sounded kind of british for some reason ;o).

maybe it was just the haughty taughtiness of how he kind of seemed like a computer version of devon miles.

But what i mean by revealing everything at once..

Take Thundercats for example. Just about everything that was series basic was set up in the first four episodes. From the Thundertank, to Cats Lair. With the new Reboot of that same series, it was ALL spread out. We barely got to see Cheetara's speed, for example. THe Sword of Omens had no real defined powers. The Thundercats eyes never eally glowed the few times the sword was used to summon them.

stuff like that. unless it's something new thought up later down the line, give kitt some confirmed cool abilities from the start. don't wait till episode 9 to introduce turbo boost, for instance.

BTW - "Super Pursuit Mode" didn't originally show up until the 4th (and last) season. It happened because Transformers were popular and KR's ratings were sliding. SPM is not very popular with a lot of KR fans in hindsight. The show did its thing in the best years without it.

I agree that the the Bayformers "shattered vase" transforming style isn't better than the old stuff. When things come apart into a zillion pieces it stops feeling like a plausible transformation anymore. It becomes one step removed from a cheesy 1990s "morphing" CGI effect.

Truth is, the original SPM was fairly logical, at least in theory.

Everyone see it and says "Oh, like all that crap is gonna somehow make KITT go faster? Ha!" And they are right - it won't make KITT's raw speed capabilities any higher, on the Bonneville salt flats. But in an urban or semi-urban setting it won't be the horsepower that limits his speed, it will be the cornering grip & handling. All those wings/spoilers will help glue him to the ground on corners and stabilize his forward aim on the straightaways. The SPM design was overdone but the principle was valid.

SPM actually did have some big flaps that hydraulically popped open when the driver hit the brakes hard. That detail was entirely good science. The faster you are going the more the aero resistance ramps up. It won't do much coming down from 60-0 mph, but it would do a whole lot during the trip down from about 200-100 mph. It would really help preserve the brakes (reduced heat buildup) for the lower speeds where the tires are doing all the stopping.

SPM was brought in that late? Huh. I need to watch the series again. I've had my own hypercar-design thoughts for my own dream build. Lowering ride hight at higher speeds, computer-controlled front splitter, variable-airflow control (along the sides being redirected to underneath, for instance), etc. That stuff would be de rigeur (and better designed) now, I'd say.

I just had a thought. Too bad this is a reboot and not a follow-up. Wouldn't it be fun if the Hoff were actually the bad guy -- Garthe Knight, not dead after all?

--Jonah

It needs to be original Kitt in a new car that uses real theory of what's possible as someone mentioned and the Hoff. That's what made it work in the first place. Get the original writers back if you can or someone who can write good tv.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back