New Zvezda Star Destroyer Model kit

I think he's just pointing out the location of the snap together kit...not indicating the box for the snap kit.

I think he's just pointing out the location of the snap together kit...not indicating the box for the snap kit.
Yes, I see. The placement of the text and start of the line was a little confusing since it is on the other SD box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It just ARRIVED!! After a month and a half (and 40 years), it's HERE!!! Mine was VERY well protected in a sealed heavy-duty plastic shipping sleeve and layers of bubble wrap. Alas, no Russian pillow case...:lol

I hope mine shows up someday!

Awesome! I'm Jealous! Mine spent just 2 days in US Customs, moved a whopping 3.7 miles to Metro, NY for one day, an finally shows "In transit to destination" on the USPS site. Should be here sometime next week:)

PS: The Russian Post tracking still shows that it's sitting at US Customs lol

Robert

I got mine, complete with Russian pillow case. The box was battered pretty badly, but all the parts are in good shape. I made it through the waiting period by never checking on it, never thinking about it, and then one day there it was!

I see so many people apparently drilling into unpainted parts and inserting fiber optics and testing. Obviously one isn't going to mask hundreds of bitty FO portholes. The lighting elements themselves aren't all that daunting - guard against light leaks, paint the inside, etc. But I conjure up a process of painting, then drilling, then assembling, then inserting the light guides - and repeating - painstakingly. I'm sure there's more than one way - but since I'm a noob at this, and my ZSD will be on it's way sometime in the next few days, I figure I oughta learn how to properly plan this build. How does one mix lighting with FO, assembling and external painting for the most straightforward results?

Talk about unexpected: My kit left Metro, NY at 10:16am yesterday, and just arrived at Oklahoma City at 1:24am, 100 miles from my house. It should arrive in town about 7:00am this morning, to be delivered TODAY. Can't wait:)

Robert

I see so many people apparently drilling into unpainted parts and inserting fiber optics and testing. Obviously one isn't going to mask hundreds of bitty FO portholes. The lighting elements themselves aren't all that daunting - guard against light leaks, paint the inside, etc. But I conjure up a process of painting, then drilling, then assembling, then inserting the light guides - and repeating - painstakingly. I'm sure there's more than one way - but since I'm a noob at this, and my ZSD will be on it's way sometime in the next few days, I figure I oughta learn how to properly plan this build. How does one mix lighting with FO, assembling and external painting for the most straightforward results?

If you paint first the work will be ruined by all the handling the model requires with the process of drilling, designing and deciding where you will run the fibers, etc....Its not as simple as you think! Ive been taking care of probable light leaks as part of the assembly process. I plan on painting the inside flat black before completing the lighting system also. With fiber optics light leaks in the usual way is greatly reduced due to the way the system works. If done with care the only visible light will be at the ends of the fiber optic itself. Painting comes after all the lighting is put into place and in this case, at least IMO, after the model is completely assembled with all the lighting setup in its final place and working. A final inspection for any light leaks could be done here and corrected if needed. Robiwon would surely get back to your questions and has more experience with fiber optic lighting.

Got my shipping confirmation this morning. Now the wait begins. I have no need of being bored while waiting - plenty of models I could be building and no shortage of flight sim projects to otherwise occupy my hobby time. But after giving up an Anigrand, I'm really stoked to see a Star Destroyer styrene kit of nearly the same size come to market.

Thanks for the initial input, Joe. Makes sense, and would be a lot easier than some of my wilder imaginings when it comes to process. I've seen some tutorials online, and various topics on this over at SSM, but still find myself a bit ignorant. I need to search here too, having just joined. I don't want to drive this thread OT, by the way. If a ZSD build thread gets going somewhere, I will be sure to ask lots of questions there.

Got my shipping confirmation this morning. Now the wait begins. I have no need of being bored while waiting - plenty of models I could be building and no shortage of flight sim projects to otherwise occupy my hobby time. But after giving up an Anigrand, I'm really stoked to see a Star Destroyer styrene kit of nearly the same size come to market.

Thanks for the initial input, Joe. Makes sense, and would be a lot easier than some of my wilder imaginings when it comes to process. I've seen some tutorials online, and various topics on this over at SSM, but still find myself a bit ignorant. I need to search here too, having just joined. I don't want to drive this thread OT, by the way. If a ZSD build thread gets going somewhere, I will be sure to ask lots of questions there.

Zvezda Star Destroyer build thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=271362

Thanks Jkirkon! Yes, there is a build thread! And yes, it is much easier to fiber, build, then paint. Leave the fibers sticking out until after painting. When done clip the extra length off. The fibers will not hamper painting at all.
If you paint, drill, then assemble you have to worry also about glue messing up your paint.

Just got mine:) No pillow case, but a nice and sturdy cardboard box with plenty of bubble wrap protecting the parts. After building two Tamiya 1/32 scale aircraft and six 1/100 scale master grade gundams, Bandai 1/72 scale Y-Wing and the 1/144 scale falcon, it's nice to relax with a nicely detailed simple to build kit. Thanks Zvezda!

Robert

got mine too ....YEEHAAA....approx 4 weeks shipping including a shutdown of service over christmas so i heard...not to bad..
the box survived ok for just being wrapped in brown paper and a cardboard sheet over the front side just minor corner damage.:)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back