Nike Mag 2016 Lottery

Once the shoes are in the hands of the winners, they can do with them as they please. Hopefully there are some fans amongst the winners, but you bet there will also be some scalpers to.

Once the shoes are in the hands of the winners, they can do with them as they please. Hopefully there are some fans amongst the winners, but you bet there will also be some scalpers to.

I am a real BTTF fan, but to be honest: I would sell them, too. There's no reason to keep them and probably lose thousands of Dollars, if I can have V3s for $500-600. Original Nikes themselves are just replicas of the screen used sneakers.

Last edited:
I am a real BTTF fan, but to be honest: I would sell them, too. There's no reason to keep them and probably lose thousands of Dollars, if I can have V3s for $500-600. Original Nikes themselves are just replicas of the screen used sneakers.

How do you "lose thousands" if you won these? They are a collectable and worth thousands, but would you really sell them if you won them? I wouldn't.

How do you "lose thousands" if you won these? They are a collectable and worth thousands, but would you really sell them if you won them? I wouldn't.

If I keep something that I don't need actually and that is worth thousands, it's the same as losing thousands, no matter if I just won it or not. It would be different if there wasn't good replicas out there. But I really like the V3s. Good enough for my collection. ;)

If I keep something that I don't need actually and that is worth thousands, it's the same as losing thousands, no matter if I won it. It would be different if there wasn't good replicas out there. But I really like the V3s. Good enough for my collection. ;)

But it never cost you anything. It could be worth millions, but if the outlay was not very much, you didn't lose much, just what it cost you to acquire it. Of course you stand to gain a heap from a sale, but you only loose if you sell for less than what the item might be worth.

And I agree with V3 being a great display piece. I also think they will make a great 'neck breaker" (anyone hear anymore from the dude and his bottle?) when you wear these out.

Roland already answered it.... but another point is.... why not strike while the iron is hot and walk away with thousands of dollars? You could hold on to them and then in 20 years, we find the market for replica props has died out and they are not worth the cost of the materials. Don't think that can happen? I know die hard fans will argue that their precious franchise collectibles will never go out of style, but... Look at the Beanie Baby boom. Look at the 1990's Comic Book Boom. Look at the Animation Art Boom. People invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in collectibles that went belly up. So I would think about unloading them now while they are at their hottest with market value, and keep version 3's for myself.

To be honest the winner should better keep the shoes for few years, completly protected from the light and kept into a dry place, charge them once a month to keep the batteries alive.
The value of the shoes will increase with time. But to be honest when sneakerheads will figure out that the electronics are fragile (talking about the PL engine) i doubt that they spend 100K$ on a pair.

To be honest the winner should better keep the shoes for few years, completly protected from the light and kept into a dry place, charge them once a month to keep the batteries alive.
The value of the shoes will increase with time. But to be honest when sneakerheads will figure out that the electronics are fragile (talking about the PL engine) i doubt that they spend 100K$ on a pair.

And then one day Nike and Sony decide to surprise everyone with a mass produced version that is unlimited and sold for $1000 a pair. And suddenly the pair you have been holding on to is not worth that much. We saw that with the Mattel PKE meter which everyone who bought extras tried selling for a couple hundred more than retail, only to see it get released again and they were only worth $70 again. Will Nike mass produce these? Unlikely. But if they ever do, the "investment value" could be gone. Could it only increase in 10 or 20 years? Of course, but that is the gamble. If you are only looking at the investment, then be aware that it is like playing the stock market and it is not guaranteed. That is why with ANY COLLECTION, you need to keep it because you love it and not worry about future value as it may lose value in time. If you love it, then hold on to it for that emotional attachment. If you are not in love with it... unload it while the value is there.

Should I wait for the V4's with power lace functionality or
should I buy the v3's ? :D

There will probably be someone who mod's their V3's
with the power laces of the Nike Hyperadapt. :p

Roland already answered it.... but another point is.... why not strike while the iron is hot and walk away with thousands of dollars? You could hold on to them and then in 20 years, we find the market for replica props has died out and they are not worth the cost of the materials. Don't think that can happen? I know die hard fans will argue that their precious franchise collectibles will never go out of style, but... Look at the Beanie Baby boom. Look at the 1990's Comic Book Boom. Look at the Animation Art Boom. People invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in collectibles that went belly up. So I would think about unloading them now while they are at their hottest with market value, and keep version 3's for myself.

We live in a material world and the desire to own the stuff (we like) we see in TV and films is only going to increase.
Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Hype certainly helps as we have seen with the V2s selling on eBay. Yes, sure some things drop in value. Other things just keep going up in value. Look at Vintage STAR WARS toys. These little action figures (my original 12 will be 40 years old next year) cost less than $4.00 each when i was a kid, and now can cost up into four figures for A graded. I paid an average of just $7 each for mine (not complete), but as a set on a display, they are worth so much more to the right person. I'd never sell them and if time travel was possible, I'd go back and stop that 14YO me from giving away that huge yellow bin full of figures, ships and playsets.

We live in a material world and the desire to own the stuff (we like) we see in TV and films is only going to increase.
Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Hype certainly helps as we have seen with the V2s selling on eBay. Yes, sure some things drop in value. Other things just keep going up in value. Look at Vintage STAR WARS toys. These little action figures (my original 12 will be 40 years old next year) cost less than $4.00 each when i was a kid, and now can cost up into four figures for A graded. I paid an average of just $7 each for mine (not complete), but as a set on a display, they are worth so much more to the right person. I'd never sell them and if time travel was possible, I'd go back and stop that 14YO me from giving away that huge yellow bin full of figures, ships and playsets.

That is the thing about old toys and collectibles... people didn't know to save things in mint condition, so finding those in mint or high grade condition is rare and thus the high price tag. But every collector today buys in bulk to keep multiple "in the box" items and they are a dime a dozen and worthless. So if Nike floods the market with more in the future, supply vs demand will go down. But as I said, if you love them and you don't have a worry about the investment value then keep them. No one would blame you. I could live with the version 3 and I would sell these in a heartbeat and capitalize on the current market. :lol

That is the thing about old toys and collectibles... people didn't know to save things in mint condition, so finding those in mint or high grade condition is rare and thus the high price tag. But every collector today buys in bulk to keep multiple "in the box" items and they are a dime a dozen and worthless. So if Nike floods the market with more in the future, supply vs demand will go down. But as I said, if you love them and you don't have a worry about the investment value then keep them. No one would blame you. I could live with the version 3 and I would sell these in a heartbeat and capitalize on the current market. :lol

If I could be sent back to 1977 with a few hundred bucks and I'd buy everything new off the shelf and keep it mint. Knowing my luck, the time travel gear would be just like in the Terminator, so nothing dead would go. I'd have to bury it in 1977 and hope it stays safe for next 39 years :facepalm.

If I could be sent back to 1977 with a few hundred bucks and I'd buy everything new off the shelf and keep it mint. Knowing my luck, the time travel gear would be just like in the Terminator, so nothing dead would go. I'd have to bury it in 1977 and hope it stays safe for next 39 years :facepalm.

I would be right behind you in line with full carts putting stuff away for my future. Then I would tell my dad to invest what money I might have had from birthdays that I put in the bank, into stock at those new companies Apple and Microsoft.

I would be right behind you in line with full carts putting stuff away for my future. Then I would tell my dad to invest what money I might have had from birthdays that I put in the bank, into stock at those new companies Apple and Microsoft.

Hmm, good call. I'd do the property thing as well.

I wonder how far you could go before you created an alternate present reality?

Hmm, good call. I'd do the property thing as well.

I wonder how far you could go before you created an alternate present reality?

You wouldn't have to go far to create it. Did you hear about the butterfly effect? ;) Even the fact alone that you are there (in the past) could massively change the future. Example: You're travelling to Braunau, Austria, 1889. You're kicking a small stone. Hitler's pregnant mother is coming along, falling over that stone, that wasn't there originally, and having a miscarriage. Hitler had never been born. Imagine how much it would change everything in the future!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back