Red Jammer Parts Maps

It definitely looks the part. I'd say you nailed it. Nice job!

Edit.

Maybe not. Looking closer, the barrels on the piece you posted have some separation to them that the model doesn't show. Hard to say.

Don't forget that the model is a casting. Those little barrels would have been a PITA to get every time. It's possible that the rubber between tore out or that the model makers filled in the gap on the original part to make the casting easier. Nobody was pressure casting back then.

Don't forget that the model is a casting. Those little barrels would have been a PITA to get every time. It's possible that the rubber between tore out or that the model makers filled in the gap on the original part to make the casting easier. Nobody was pressure casting back then.
I was under the impression that Red Jammer was a one off from which the others were cast. I figured everything glued to it was original. I could be wrong so you make a good point.

I have this kit but it is for the B/C/E variants so it doesn't have the same part.

McDonnell F-4B Phantom II
1/72 scale.
Available from 1965 to 1971.
Omitted from Third Edition (1965) catalogue and Price List.
Retooling and new parts added in 1971 for McDonnell F-4B/C/E/J Phantom (493).
View attachment 660314

493/04013-8/9 04013/04013
McDonnell F-4B/C/E/J Phantom
1/72 scale.
Reissue of McDonnell F-4B Phantom II (388) with extra sprues to produce other marks.
Available as 493 from 1971 to 1972, not listed in 8th Edition (1971) catalogue.
Issued as 04013-8 from 1973 to 1982.
Not listed on 1979 2nd supplement or in 1981 catalogue.
Issued as 9 04013 from 1983 to 1985.
Issued as 04013 from 1986 to 2001.
Listed as All In One Gift Set (94013) from 1995 to 1996 but not issued.
Included in 90 Years of Fighters (08655) in 2004.
View attachment 660315

I would assume the latter is the proper kit given its history.
Hammer,
Do you know which Phantom kit will also yield the correct landing gear strut for the back wall of the forward fuselage? Or will both?

I just received my Phantom kit, and part #60 (the right afterburner in Hammer's image) comparing mine to his you can tell there is damage to the tooling of that piece. Part #61 is in good shape but there are some weak lines and a bumpy rim on #60. Not that it completely matters since the piece is sliced in half it seems for the neck's underside. Just a fun observation. I'm going to try to find some more top side pieces around the lunar module. There's another turret up there I'd like to ID. It cannot be seen in the images of the upper fuselage but it may just be from an already mentioned 1/700 ship and I haven't noticed it.

Yeah, my afterburners are like that too. One ok, and the other blobby.

If you can find the pieces around the lunar module, I'd be eternally grateful. I've got a feeling the ship pieces either side of the sealab cylinder are rare. I don't even know where to start looking for them.

Are you guys talking about these?
22.jpg
If so, they definitely look like landing gear struts don't they? (photo of Niecen paint master)

I don't believe those landing gears are present on the Red Jammer. And I think Scott was referring to these unknown ship tower halves in the image below. They're right by the Nakajima piece to the left of the Sealab cylinder. The boxed parts here are the visible ones that I'm not sure of. I know there is another tiny turret that belongs between the bandai and lunar lander pieces but don't have an original image to prove it. There are plenty of pieces in the tiny cracks up there I think.
top_pieces.jpg

I was under the impression that the piece you put a rectangle around next to the lunar module may be the same piece I hi-lighted and the other side was covered by the pipe. But I've been wrong OFTEN!

Edit:
Looking at the Niecen instructions for Red Jammer, I can now see it is not the same. Sorry.

Last edited:
No need for apologies! I was going to direct you to those instructions as my most full-proof thought on why they're not the same. In those same instructions you can find the tiny turret that is still not ID'd laying on either side of the cylinder behind the lunar module. There are many small details happening on that fuselage in the cracks around the hurricane parts!

I don't believe those landing gears are present on the Red Jammer. And I think Scott was referring to these unknown ship tower halves in the image below. They're right by the Nakajima piece to the left of the Sealab cylinder. The boxed parts here are the visible ones that I'm not sure of. I know there is another tiny turret that belongs between the bandai and lunar lander pieces but don't have an original image to prove it. There are plenty of pieces in the tiny cracks up there I think.
View attachment 664246

The part left to the lunar lander looks a lot like a rocket from the airfix Mosquito

Thank you Alonzo! I do remember reading that in an old thread here, but just haven't been able to find a scan of that kit. I should probably just buy one at this point to see for myself.

Thanks for that stonky! When I read about a rocket in this kit those are definitely not the pieces I was thinking of haha. I had been imagining it was referring to the missile between the unknown ship tower halves. This mosquito rocket is very close but I think the rods are spaced too far from each other. Time to start looking at other similar kits to this now that I know what I'm supposed to be looking for haha.

I have updated the first post with a new image of the starboard wing topside. I also used this post to do some of the ID's. I would appreciate anyone being able to confirm them. I was unable to recognize the potential Enterprise piece from the scan. Maybe my brain is just tired this evening. But the Doveshire piece does look pretty spot on. I think the circle at the end of the hook just might be the pour circle left on that isn't present in the scan I have? Any help is greatly appreciated!

I can see what they're getting at with the Enterprise/Hornet piece - it looks like at least three parts, cut and reassembled. It looks like they used part of this assembly:

enterprise.jpg

The raised elliptical part looks like a separate piece, and might be from the same kit.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back