Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Subscribe
    From
    Orlando, FL
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 6, 2017, 6:52 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #76

Here's an album of the pictures I got from DHS at the Launch Bay (hope this works)

http://imgur.com/a/YlxMT
  2. RPF Premium Member Sundowner's Avatar
    From
    Shadow
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 6, 2017, 7:11 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #77

harrisonp said: View Post
    Here's an album of the pictures I got from DHS at the Launch Bay (hope this works)

Great photos! Thanks for posting!
    From
    Orlando, FL
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 6, 2017, 7:33 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #78

no problem, happy to help in gathering as much reference as possible! The paint on this blaster really is an enigma for me, and photographs differently ever time
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 2:25 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #79

harrisonp said: View Post

Close ups and from different angles! Excellent! Thanks!
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 4:36 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #80

Thanks to Harrisonp's photos, I found the flashlight used for the Rifle.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...353024889.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HorBIRi.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	696288

Name:	Blaster_Light.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	696291
    Last edited by Faroth; 2 Weeks Ago at 4:49 AM.
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    2 Weeks Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 4:45 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #81

Also, looks like someone broke off part of the plastic tabs at the back of the gun. Probably because these were glued in place, unlike an actual M4 where this would pull back.

Name:	RPF_Blaster_Broke.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	745.3 KB 
ID:	696290
    From
    Orlando, FL
    1 Week Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 9:16 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #82

Oh yeah, the charging handle was definitely broken off on that side, I remember remarking to myself when I saw it. I'm also fairly positive this is a resin casting, I thought I had noticed a seam line in person.
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 11:38 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #83

Unfortunately this may not be as important of a link as I had hoped, but I'll post it anyway.

http://www.sharpimport.com/m4a1-carb...ult-rifle.aspx

I purchased this M4A1 airsoft rifle from Sharper Import. It has all the correct major detail and a slide on stock (see my blaster build for details)
    After I purchased it however, they are now out of stock and these were "on sale for low stock" so I am not sure if they will restock them.

They make a great base for the hand blaster of the blaster rifle so hopefully someone can find this airsoft gun but at a different seller.
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 7, 2017, 11:48 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #84

Now that we have Hrrisonp's more detailed pictures, I realized that the pluming pieces I purchased are not accurate.

Name:	CB_Side_Pieces_Compare.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	513.9 KB 
ID:	696353

(Movie prop on left, my parts on the right)

Mine are slightly larger and the detail on the tip looks more like a stack of cones with sharp edges (which is what I thought they were form previous pictures.)
    Although I am convinced they still used the same type of part, theirs has 4 rings that bump out on the shaft along with an extra nut detail.
    Back to the hardware store for more comparing.
  10. RPF Premium Member wondersquid's Avatar
    From
    valencia, CA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 2:26 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #85

I was asked to work on this blaster too, as Legendary Costume works (my leather people) want to make holsters for Cassian as well as Jyn. Comments and Critiques please, I'm trying to get it as accurate as I can.

20170109_221523 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 10, 2017, 9:46 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #86

wondersquid said: View Post
    I was asked to work on this blaster too, as Legendary Costume works (my leather people) want to make holsters for Cassian as well as Jyn. Comments and Critiques please, I'm trying to get it as accurate as I can.

https://c6.staticflickr.com/1/356/32...74fb8313_z.jpg20170109_221523 by Mal Keller, on Flickr
    Looks great Wondersquid. Is that a resin cast off of a custom sculpt for the barrel? Or what material did you use?
    The vents on the tip are well defined. That seemed like the hardest part to me.
  12. RPF Premium Member wondersquid's Avatar
    From
    valencia, CA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 12:44 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #87

Faroth said: View Post
    Looks great Wondersquid. Is that a resin cast off of a custom sculpt for the barrel? Or what material did you use?
    The vents on the tip are well defined. That seemed like the hardest part to me.
    Thanks Faroth, I cast resin pieces, then machined them to make the tip. It's in 3 parts, the main barrel is lathed, the very tip cnced, and the vent detail was actually cut flat, then cast and rolled to create the shape. Tricky, but worth it to get something I feel is accurate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 2:26 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #88

Thanks Faroth, I cast resin pieces, then machined them to make the tip. It's in 3 parts, the main barrel is lathed, the very tip cnced, and the vent detail was actually cut flat, then cast and rolled to create the shape. Tricky, but worth it to get something I feel is accurate.

Nice. I did a low tech version of what you did. I 3D printed the tip with a 10 sided flat surface and the vents. Then bolted it to a drill and sanded it down to a smooth cylinder.

Speaking of which, is that the number you came up with for how many side vents to use? 10?
  14. RPF Premium Member wondersquid's Avatar
    From
    valencia, CA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 11, 2017, 2:30 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #89

Nice. I did a low tech version of what you did. I 3D printed the tip with a 10 sided flat surface and the vents. Then bolted it to a drill and sanded it down to a smooth cylinder.

Speaking of which, is that the number you came up with for how many side vents to use? 10?
    I did, but when I wrapped it, the diameter was off, so I have 9 vents, it's weird, but it looks like it might be right.

From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 11:33 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #90

I finished mine!
    Now to figure out what the heck they used to make rest of the full blaster rifle.

Name:	CB_Final_01A.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	228.0 KB 
ID:	697857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB_Final_01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	180.5 KB 
ID:	697856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB_Final_02.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	697858Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB_FInal_02A.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	697859Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB_Final_02B.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	697860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CB_Final_02C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	697861
  16. RPF Premium Member wondersquid's Avatar
    From
    valencia, CA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 11:38 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #91

Looks great! What did you use for the screw looking detail?

From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 11:47 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #92

What did you use for the screw looking detail?
    Do you mean the four pieces laying on the side? I ended up making a 3D model of them and printing them.

Name:	CB_Side_Greeble_Temp.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	697869

They are some sort of PEX air hose adapter. like this.

Name:	Pex_Adapter.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	697870

However I can not find the exact right type or size. Ones I have found only go down to about 1/2 inch. This is more like 1/8 inch. Also, maybe this is something metric only found in London.
  18. RPF Premium Member wondersquid's Avatar
    From
    valencia, CA
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 11:49 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #93

Do you mean the four pieces laying on the side? I ended up making a 3D model of them and printing them.

Views:	16 
ID:	697869

They are some sort of PEX air hose adapter. like this.

Name:	Pex_Adapter.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	697870

However I can not find the exact right type or size. Ones I have found only go down to about 1/2 inch. This is more like 1/8 inch. Also, maybe this is something metric only found in London.
    I did the same thing, lol.

From
    Green Bay, WI
    1 Week Ago  Jan 12, 2017, 11:53 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #94

I did the same thing, lol.
    Yeah, I know those parts are easily accessible out there somewhere, but finding the exact right pieces will be hard. They use the same type of pieces for some costume bits and kind of bullets on a belt. I also saw them in the movie painted silver, on the console that they have to pull the main switch on. Some prop guy must have had a bunch of these things lying around and wanted to work them into props.
    From
    South Carolina
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 8:10 AM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #95

It looks very well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2017
    1 Week Ago  Jan 13, 2017, 1:40 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #96

Its ridiculous how simple the prop makers make these blasters. Just take the base of existing firearms and modify them to look rather "spacey".

Funny story, keep in mind this was before the release of Rogue One; I build and customize airsoft guns. When I took apart my Airsoft m4, all I had left was the body of the gun with no barrel or buffer tube left, only the pistol grip. I had it laying around the house when one day my brother picked it up and started pretending he was Han Solo. He then told me this would totally work as a star wars blaster but I looked at him weird. Then the next day I was the one playing with the body of the m4 pretending to be some smuggler shooting up a cantina haha. Seeing this blaster in Rogue One made this situation all that much more funnier and ironic. In a silly way, our idea came true on screen. It put a huge smile on my face.
    From
    Green Bay, WI
    4 Days Ago  Jan 16, 2017, 3:58 PM - Re: Rogue One: Diego Luna/Cassian Andor Blaster #97

I am now convinced that the side detail parts are some sort of High Pressure Air Adapter for airsoft guns. It would be something they had easy access to with all the airsoft guns they were using. If you look at the 3D drawing below, the left part with the four bumps is the part the hose would get crimped onto. Then there is a slide part to incert the tip on teh right, and a nut to tighten it once the airhose adapter is connected.

I still have not found the exact right part though.

Name:	31K5HPY3+-L.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	698714Click image for larger version. 

ID:	698715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPA_Adapter.jpg 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	698716