Painting a Star Wars X-Wing Class - JerseyFest 2016

moonlightdrive2

Hey guys:

Registrations are now open for the new "Painting a Star Wars X-Wing" all-day class with Michael Salzo at JerseyFest 2016. See details and more pictures at http://jerseyfestfair.com/?page_id=6018%. The pictures below show the X-Wing that will be used for the class painted by Salzo.

img_2819.jpg

img_2835.jpg

img_2826.jpg

Looks pretty cool... I think I will be attending this fair! Maybe sign up for the class. It's just a couple hours from me, so that wouldn't be bad at all.

Just signed up... money paypal'd

I think I'm a decent painter already - but spending the day painting and BS'ing with others AND taking home a kickass T-70 in the end - no brainer for me... AND I might learn a trick or two - or get better at ones I already "think" I know ;)

Jedi Dade

I had a blast! I was so jazzed up after meeting everyone I was up all damn night though :) It was great meeting everyone, and I'm already looking forward to next years classes
:cool:thumbsup:cheers

Plus my T-70 looks pretty good - as did just about everyone's really! Mike had the class laid out pretty step by step and eve though the lines for the airbrush were a bit much - everyone's came out pretty well I thought.

And I did learn a new trick. Using the airbrush to push around the wash to get that mottled effect was a new one for me... and one I'll be definitely using again.

Kudos to Mike for a lot of hard work prepping the x-wings and managing the chaos :).

Jedi Dade

I wished I could have attended this class but I had some commitments !

Post the results of your x-wings !

Pcoz

Very nice guys.....I hate to sound all inspirational, but life is about the experiences that make you better !

I understand the theory of blowing the wash around with the airbrush but what exactly is the effect and how does it look ?

Thanks for sharing your pic's....

Very nice guys.....I hate to sound all inspirational, but life is about the experiences that make you better !

I understand the theory of blowing the wash around with the airbrush but what exactly is the effect and how does it look ?

Thanks for sharing your pic's....

The effect is much more 'random' than wiping down with a cloth. It's actually a very cool look. Give it a whirl!

The effect of the airbrush blowing the wash around is a very uneven distribution of the wash on the "flat" panels it leaves a sort of faint "mottled" effect on the flats that tricks the eye. Its subtle, but gives a depth to the paint that removes this is a chunk of plastic look.

About the model/toy - this started out as the Hasbro Poe Dameron black and orange T-70. when we had gotten to the class Mike had replaced the laser cannons and nose with resin (and brass) as well as cut off the rear landing pegs that come with the toy. Masked the windows and then primed it in self etching primer and given a base coat of off white.

So when we started the class we were ready to start detailing and weathering... Mike did this for 20+ x-wings just so the class could start.

I'll take pics of mine wen I get a chance and post them here. Its not 100% faithful to any TFA t-70... that was not the point of this class. The point was to learn/practice detailing finishing and weathering techniques... and when your done it does not look like a Hasbro toy anymore. That being said if you were going to do this as a real T-70 replica you'd probably take the time to fill in the screw holes with putty sand off the logos, and study reference photos... stuff like that... things we did not do in this class.

So with the goal of applying weathering and finishing to the model - all of the X-wings were successful. Sure some looked better than others but there was also a WIDE variety of experience amongst the participants. going form a blank base coat to something pretty darn displayable - everyone did well... That is a credit to the participants and especially A CREDIT TO MIKE SALZO!

Jedi Dade

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike put on a good class, well organized, and a wealth of information. I learned a LOT!!

Well worth going, and I will attend any class he teaches in the future.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back