Hasbro Falcon Force Awakens sidewalls?

Yes, there are a couple options.

Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits?section=Falcon+HSBRO&s=0

Or a resin cast of the shapeways sidewall parts (they're a little cheaper): http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=236356

The Shapeways parts (TonyRR) are based on the 32"......the sidewalls in TFA are sort of based on the 5 footer....theres the same basic greeblies,....but some are moved slightly or are shorter......but theres loads of new pipework over the top of it all

But the Hasbro Falcon is also based on the 32"....minus a couple of 5 foot additions......I'd say she's 95% 32"......so not really a good representation of the TFA Falcon to start off with

J

Yea, neither of you answered the question.

Frak it, I'll just buy a Bandai Falcon and do it myself

Do you mean copying the details from the Bandai to the Hasbro?

Don't do that 'cause the port is a copy of the starboard, but mirrored......you'd need stills from the movie or promo pics

Thats likely why no-one has made anything yet,....because theres limited info

J

OK having frame by framed every shot that has the Falcon in it from TFA... I can definitively say that the side walls are NOT even close to the 5 footer. they are their own thing entirely. I am also a bit disappointed in the accuracy of the Bandai side walls now that I've been able to see them and look at them in the film. The Bandai sidewalls are very detailed and look the part but only have the larger details correct. I guess at 1/144 that is what you need to live with. Its still a great kit but not as accurate as I thought when I first built it.

As for a TFA conversion of the Hasbro- definitely doable... The cruddy plastic its made from makes actually changing the hull curvature something to think about, the side walls (except the mandibles) are much further recessed than any version of the Falcon prior, the details are very different and there is a TON more "piping" throughout the side walls that was minimally there in other versions. Recessing the walls is a bit more surgery than most people do on a sidewall upgrade - but its definitely doable.

Jedi Dade

Heres the best comparisons of the mandible sidewalls I can find or make up......Its of the Launchbay Falcon.....which seems to be pretty accurate to the digital asset ( bar the thick hull plates & over the top blast marks)

Starboard merge comparison.jpgPort Merge comparison.jpg

J

Attachments

• Starboard Mandible Merge.jpg
    Starboard Mandible Merge.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 115
Heres the best comparisons of the mandible sidewalls I can find or make up......Its of the Launchbay Falcon.....which seems to be pretty accurate to the digital asset ( bar the thick hull plates & over the top blast marks)

View attachment 612676View attachment 612674

J

Has anyone done a comparison of the Launch-bay falcon to the digital? I mean as close a partmatch kinda of analysis as we can. I have some descent screen grabs from the movie but even with those I don't think I could do a part for part match up... but it would be neat to see if some "fuzzed" pics of the launchbay matched up to the Movie caps :)... just to get a warm fuzzy feeling if they were supposed to be same or if they are just kitbashed to look the part. I know it would make me feel a LOT better about copying the launch bay pics if we could establish that the artists used the digital model as a reference in building it.

With the Diagostini kit in work, my Hasbro Falcon has become somewhat redundant. I've been on the fence about what to do with it. I'm leaning towards doing it up as the Stellar Envoy from Episode III (as an upscale of what I have already done with a 1/144 FineMolds), but more and more I am leaning towards an Episode 7 version as well based on what I see here. Given how pipped up the sidewalls are, I might just try and get close without matching things exactly. That way the only thing I would need to purchase would be the an E7 rectenna dish to replace the round one.

With the Diagostini kit in work, my Hasbro Falcon has become somewhat redundant. I've been on the fence about what to do with it. I'm leaning towards doing it up as the Stellar Envoy from Episode III (as an upscale of what I have already done with a 1/144 FineMolds), but more and more I am leaning towards an Episode 7 version as well based on what I see here. Given how pipped up the sidewalls are, I might just try and get close without matching things exactly. That way the only thing I would need to purchase would be the an E7 rectenna dish to replace the round one.

Ditto. I collected a bunch of parts from members here to make it more accurate. Now it sits 90% as I collect my Deago parts. No harm though, Im practicing painting techniques and when finished, it will find a home somewhere in the house....

Ditto. I collected a bunch of parts from members here to make it more accurate. Now it sits 90% as I collect my Deago parts. No harm though, Im practicing painting techniques and when finished, it will find a home somewhere in the house....

Great minds think alike as that is my plan as well. Quite a few of the paint techniques I plan to use I already did on my FineMolds 1/72 kit. But, there are some others I plan to try, such as the ink splater techniques and practice some weather streaking with my airbrush (had to use pastels instead on the FMMF as it was too small for airbrush streaks). So it will become a paint mule first, followed by some other use.

Great minds think alike as that is my plan as well. Quite a few of the paint techniques I plan to use I already did on my FineMolds 1/72 kit. But, there are some others I plan to try, such as the ink splater techniques and practice some weather streaking with my airbrush (had to use pastels instead on the FMMF as it was too small for airbrush streaks). So it will become a paint mule first, followed by some other use.

The great thing is that the Hasbro is so awesomely proportioned out of the box. It only needs a good re paint and some sidewalls. I did an quick and dirty paint job just to see what you can do with a $80 toy and a day of labor. That was a year ago.....now I see the paint flaws, and will correct now that I have more reference material and tutorials from Steve Dysmo. Its such a great kit for the price. There has never been a near studio scale Falcon at this price point.

Yea, painting her isn't hard if you study the simple techniques they used to finish her up. Are there any more pics out there of the Bay model (which you can see in the bts features on the DVD)
e0fd45e2bd9a051d043011c9c5ea3eb0.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back