Well, it looks like they made an updated version of Luke's ROTJ saber for TFA...

OnFire5210

Who bought the Target Blu-Ray with the extra 20 minutes of bonus features? I didn't (because I thought the packaging looked cheap/flimsy), but here's a screenshot I found from it showing off a few saber props including a Luke ROTJ with an interesting OWK/Luke hybrid looking emitter.

VXS5XfM.jpg

I bought the Target Exclusive and I can't say how disappointed I am in it, but let me explain why...

First, the packaging is $#!TTY.

Second, all 3 of the discs were covered (on the data side) with a weird blotchy film that must have come from the ink leaching off of the paperboard "folder".

Third, the DVD had some weird crusty smear on it. I should have just taken a little clear hand soap and water to it, but I used my Oakley bag to wipe it off. In the right light I can see a bazillion little microscopic scratches on it now. I did just clear soap and water wash the Blu-rays and they came out perfect.

Finally, THE EXTRA FOOTAGE IS NOT A DOWNLOAD!!!!!!! I never even saw the photo you posted because the video paused, stuttered, and stopped so many times I couldn't stand to sit there any longer watching the loading wheel.

I feel totally gypped! Luckily I had an old multi-disc DVD holder and I snapped all 3 discs safely inside and made a slip-cover for the case.

The interview with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega was more of a fluff piece (what I was able to see of it anyway). I hope that Disney is smart enough in to have allowed future disc sets to have this bonus footage included ON THE DISCS and that it isn't a Target Exclusive on Disney Movies Anywhere forever. Or at least until they don't want to host the information anymore <---- the gist of their disclaimer concerning your ability to 'have' this content.

I'll try to watch the footage again in a few days when the traffic is lower on the DMA site. Until then, I remain ardently aggrieved!

My initial reaction was: "Huh..?" but the more I look at it the more I actually don't mind the change. I mean, I'm not crazy about it but I'm not offended by it either. If anything it takes away that 'just came off the lathe' plain simple appearance of the original. Gives it a little character, and is an obvious nod to Obi-Wan's emitter. Certainly not a necessary change, but you have to figure after 30 years Luke was bound to fiddle with it a little bit. If this is what they end up using in Ep. 8 I'll be happy. Happy they care enough to make an attempt to match the OT props.

What's most interesting is simply learning that they actually did make a Luke saber for TFA, even though they obviously didn't have to. They probably considered it a necessary piece of his attire.

Bummer about the emitter though. They've got enough original Luke sabers in the archives to know this is a glaring departure from any of them. And they did so good with the Graflex! Ah well. I was hoping we'd see Luke carry a saber based on the V2 in Ep VIII, but it'll probably be this one.

Wow, that's weird. Ive been seeing lots of new photos of Luke and yeah, not a single one has anything on his belt, not even a belt clip, just a buckle and a pouch.

Here it is blown up and lightened a bit. Activation box looks slightly different? Like its tapered on the sides instead of being square. Having no hole in the emitter center looks really odd.

VXS5XfM - Imgur.jpg

Wow, that's weird. Ive been seeing lots of new photos of Luke and yeah, not a single one has anything on his belt, not even a belt clip, just a buckle and a pouch.

Here it is blown up and lightened a bit. Activation box looks slightly different? Having no hole in the emitter center looks really odd.

That's interesting, I didn't know that about his belt.

And I think you're right. That box looks similar, but it's not gonna be identical to the hero we know. I wonder what the activation plate looks like.

Here it is blown up and lightened a bit. Activation box looks slightly different? Like its tapered on the sides instead of being square. Having no hole in the emitter center looks really odd.

View attachment 612322

The weird thing is that he has a couple of rivets on his belt where a hook might have been (or will later be added).

old-luke_0f902e2f.jpeg

The lightsaber itself is fine. Although it is not an exact replica of his Return of the Jedi hilt, I would be happy with a combined design that implements various elements of the hilts used in that movie. If we can deal with the visual difference in hilt design it one movie alone, surely we can handle a idealized design. Additionally it is 30 years later. Plenty of opportunity to modify, repair, rebuild, or even replaced with an almost similar design.

Last edited:
Those arrows on the activation box look a lot larger than normal too. Well if anything, this settles that he doesnt have the V2 style saber. Though it does look to have some wear or scorching near the box.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back