Resin Bonding Question

Chris Shirrell

Can a fresh resin pour bond to a cured resin surface? I am specifically talking about Allumilites resins. I ask because I was pouring a mold of a guitar shape and one of the cutaways did not fill up with resin so I need to find a way to wither finish the cast or do a complete recast. Here is a picture of what I am talking about.
Picture 3.jpg
The black version is the original carved from balsa wood and spay painted.

Their site doesn't have any info on it, closest thing I found was gluing to their resins which they say should be done soon after de-molding or while it's curing. I'd say sand the mating surface a bit and try it. Either way, that cast is a no go and you'll probably have to recast it anyway. Have you thought of contacting their customer support dept? If anyone knows 100%, it's them.

You may also want to put in a relief vent in that area so the air gets pushed out as you pour the resin.

Don't know if this helps but.....Polyurethane resin bonds very well to existing resin pours. The thermal heat reactivates the already poured resin to a certain degree. I often pour 40mm x 200mm tubes, get half way, run out and go back later and pour again. Always seems as strong as a complete straight pour.

If I've got a smaller surface area, I'll drill and insert wire (like when you pour concrete) for additional strength.

Alright thanks for the response folks. I tried it and it seems to have worked.I will probably have to smooth out the transition from the old part to the new part with some putty but otherwise looks alright. :thumbsup

I was just thinking about this the other day. I can confirm polyester resin like bondo brand sticks well to cured layers. chris is what you used a urethane resin like smoothcast?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back