Lifesize ED-209 Project - UK

Awesome. I look forward to it. I have a weird part that I need to do this for but not game to experiment just yet. Would like to see more "pros" do it first.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine is Chinese. They can make some good stuff.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=637762&d=1466774860

LOL i am not a pro, I'm just not afraid to give it a go and fail lol

ah yours is a 2 stage, mines a single stage, thats probably it

2016-06-24 14.29.51.jpg2016-06-24 14.29.56.jpg2016-06-24 14.30.05.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

and the 2 stage is well over twice the price of mine. i'll upgrade at some point in the future, just bought this pump so cant really upgrade just yet

So do you have a time frame for completion?
I haven't set a date for completion as there are too many things that keep getting in the way like work stuff and having to move because my landlord is selling the place I am in which means I now have to build a new workshop. But I want it finish this year ideally, the sooner the better

Well good luck. And if you need anything machining I may be able to lend a hand. Really really looking forward to seeing it. May even make it to a venue when you show it off.

Oooooh hark at him.....lol. Excellent stuff. Do you have a robocop suit to fight him with? Everyone needs a nemesis.

LOL i am not a pro, I'm just not afraid to give it a go and fail lol

I am not normally afraid either. For some reason I am being over cautious on this one. If it was not for failing, we would never learn and I love learning new stuff :)

ah yours is a 2 stage, mines a single stage, thats probably it

View attachment 637763View attachment 637764View attachment 637765

- - - Updated - - -

and the 2 stage is well over twice the price of mine. i'll upgrade at some point in the future, just bought this pump so cant really upgrade just yet

So what exactly does the 2nd stage do? I watched a heap of videos claiming different things. One of the claims was it was quieter and that doesn't really happen until full vacuum is achieved. The other claim is that is pulls a deep suction. Maybe, maybe not. Look at the specs 3 x 10^-1 is 30inHg, so it is not like it pulls beyond that or anything.

Ahh, as to the price? I am still laughing to myself about this. So I look 9CFM pumps on ebay and even local suppliers on the net and the RRP seems to be about $1100AUD.

So I find a site (from Sydney, Australia) selling pumps on eBay. They have 20 in-stock 0 sold, $1100. I add it to my watch list. Every few days I check the progress. 2 sold, 18 in stock price is now $900. After more check, I see 18 sold, 2 available, price $217. I quickly check the other sites I had bookmarked which are still showing $1100 and promptly click the BUY IT NOW button. That plus 28 shipping. Should have bought both.

I am not normally afraid either. For some reason I am being over cautious on this one. If it was not for failing, we would never learn and I love learning new stuff :)

So what exactly does the 2nd stage do? I watched a heap of videos claiming different things. One of the claims was it was quieter and that doesn't really happen until full vacuum is achieved. The other claim is that is pulls a deep suction. Maybe, maybe not. Look at the specs 3 x 10^-1 is 30inHg, so it is not like it pulls beyond that or anything.

Ahh, as to the price? I am still laughing to myself about this. So I look 9CFM pumps on ebay and even local suppliers on the net and the RRP seems to be about $1100AUD.

So I find a site (from Sydney, Australia) selling pumps on eBay. They have 20 in-stock 0 sold, $1100. I add it to my watch list. Every few days I check the progress. 2 sold, 18 in stock price is now $900. After more check, I see 18 sold, 2 available, price $217. I quickly check the other sites I had bookmarked which are still showing $1100 and promptly click the BUY IT NOW button. That plus 28 shipping. Should have bought both.
I'm in the UK and the single stage cost me £100 and the 2 stage pumps are around £250 so I'm not going to upgrade just yet, 2.30 minutes is fine for silicone, just not for resin.

im not sure what the second stage does either, I think it just does it faster which is great for resin

im not sure what the second stage does either, I think it just does it faster which is great for resin

My first pump was a little 3CFM unit that I later sold off. The guy that bought it, also bought one of those little 4.5 litre chambers that sell on eBay for about $120. It is perfect match for that reaching vacuum in the same time as my 9CFM pump does on the big chamber.

So what I want to do is buy one of these little chambers and hook it up to the 1/4 side inlet on the 9 CFM pump. I have a valve on the in let hose on the main chamber, so I can isolate that. Do want to upgrade that to a big levered ball valve like the re-pressurization side has for really quick close offs. Based on how fast the little 3CFM pump pulls a vacuum, the big pump should be really fast. It should allow me to degas even fast set resins like D65.

My first pump was a little 3CFM unit that I later sold off. The guy that bought it, also bought one of those little 4.5 litre chambers that sell on eBay for about $120. It is perfect match for that reaching vacuum in the same time as my 9CFM pump does on the big chamber.

So what I want to do is buy one of these little chambers and hook it up to the 1/4 side inlet on the 9 CFM pump. I have a valve on the in let hose on the main chamber, so I can isolate that. Do want to upgrade that to a big levered ball valve like the re-pressurization side has for really quick close offs. Based on how fast the little 3CFM pump pulls a vacuum, the big pump should be really fast. It should allow me to degas even fast set resins like D65.

Thats not a bad shout actually, I could get a smaller chamber for resins ;-) good idea, I too have two inlets for my pump

Thats not a bad shout actually, I could get a smaller chamber for resins ;-) good idea, I too have two inlets for my pump

Exactly. They are 1 Gallon of roughly 4.5 litres. How many times would you mix 1 KG of resin? The biggest mixes I do at any time are 400 gram.

Yeah I normally work in smaller cup sized batches too

The two part D65 plastic has a potlife of about 3 min. As a result, I don't bother degassing this. Generally it is thin enough that any bubbles rise to the top. If however I could achieve full vacuum in 20 seconds, I would consider it for sure.

The two part D65 plastic has a potlife of about 3 min. As a result, I don't bother degassing this. Generally it is thin enough that any bubbles rise to the top. If however I could achieve full vacuum in 20 seconds, I would consider it for sure.

Yeah the stuff I have is a 3 minute working time, you can get a slower resin that's 10 minutes

Yeah the stuff I have is a 3 minute working time, you can get a slower resin that's 10 minutes

There are 2 quick set plastics I have access to here. One is the common 3min potlife and sets white. The other has a 5 min potlife and sets tan in colour. Both are D65 hardness.

Any updates on making the new mold?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

sorry its been a while since I have been on here, what new mould?

as an update I've not done much on the ED-209 project as I have been building a new workshop / office on a new site as my landlord is selling the house where my current work space is, the good news is the new space will be much better suited for prop building and I have bought some new toys to go in it so I will be much better equipped, I hope to start back on this project in the next 2 months.

in other news i'm looking for a finished ZF-1 from fifth element if anyone knows of anyone selling a ZF-1 thats not a 3d printed one I would be very much interested. it does have to be a very good replica though.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back