LUKES Severed hand found on Bespin!! WIP

judgedredd

Sr Member
Had this idea for years so i though what the heck :)
i plan on doing the graflex really rusty using the Salt weathering technique and a sandy base with the saber partly buried.
Still a fair bit to do i did think about opening the side of the saber as though it had rusted away and doing a slight reveal with glowing crystal?
ppp.jpgbbbbb.jpg

Last edited:
Re: LUKES Severed hand found on Bespin!!

That is a really cool idea! I'm looking forward to how you approach it.

Ok someone explain this to me. I'm a casual lover of Star Wars so hope I don't offend anyone with a lack of knowledge. But.... Luke gets his hand and light saber cut off in TESB. It falls away I assume to the planet below cloud city. Luke gets this Lightsaber from kenobe and is told it was his fathers. The. In the force awakens that same saber pops up... Where the heck did it come from ?

It didn't fall to the planet below. It fell into the bowels of Cloud City and was somehow recovered. Still a bit of a stretch but a little more plausible...;)

I would have sworn you see it falling to the planet just as Luke gets crapped out of that last hatch. But admittedly its been a few months since I've watched Empire.

It didn't fall to the planet below. It fell into the bowels of Cloud City and was somehow recovered. Still a bit of a stretch but a little more plausible...;)

In ESB we see it falling to the planet below when Luke first falls onto the antenna. If it didn't fall to the planet, why would they exhaust extra footage to show something falling... here's the scene:

star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-13295.jpg

BTW Judge... I love the work you've done so far... can't wait to see it complete!

I have to be honest i always assumed it was his hand falling when i watched the movie.
Thanks mate :)

In ESB we see it falling to the planet below when Luke first falls onto the antenna. If it didn't fall to the planet, why would they exhaust extra footage to show something falling... here's the scene:

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-13295.jpg

BTW Judge... I love the work you've done so far... can't wait to see it complete!

http://caps.pictures/198/0-starwars5/full/star-wars5-movie-screencaps.com-13295.jpg

Usually when a movie has a shot like that, it's to highlight extreme heights for dramatic effect. It's long been confirmed to not be his hand. Iirc, the official stance is that it's a piece of the windvane he lands on. It would be highly unlikely he would've landed in the same exact chute his hand did 5 minutes earlier. You can clearly see when he comes to a stop in the chute but before the trap door opens that there is no hand or lightsaber there.

I have to be honest i always assumed it was his hand falling when i watched the movie.
Thanks mate :)

Same here!

Usually when a movie has a shot like that, it's to highlight extreme heights for dramatic effect. It's long been confirmed to not be his hand. Iirc, the official stance is that it's a piece of the windvane he lands on. It would be highly unlikely he would've landed in the same exact chute his hand did 5 minutes earlier. You can clearly see when he comes to a stop in the chute but before the trap door opens that there is no hand or lightsaber there.

That's true... but then again, the hatch that he fell thru didn't look like the one he came out of, it could have been a double air lock kinda thing and the hand could have already been there waiting to be expelled until the chute had reached a certain capacity, and when he fell into it, it reached that capacity and it opened the bottom hatch. But that's just my 2-cents! Personally I like to think it was his hand falling!

I actually thought it was too when I was growing up, but I'm pretty sure LFL finally settled what it was we were seeing. Thinking back it didn't make a lot of sense that it'd be the hand anyways, at least in my view.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the post with a question. Dredd take a look at some shots of a complete saber. There are a few areas that look to be chrome. Chrome pits before it rusts so maybe look at using salt to weather these areas. Then a few washes of dark oil paints to pick-up the low spots and if you have one maybe some very fine airbrushing of rust browns and oranges. For the hand Tested.com did a pretty good cotton and latex demo on a plastic skull to simulate rotted flesh. check that out too

As a kid I also thought it was his hand-- but it isn't.

First-- Luke's hand is cut off and falls over the main core of Cloud City. The he has the whole "I'm your daddy" conversation with Vader which goes on for a couple minutes. By the time Luke jumps, that hand has long since landed wherever.

Luke then is sucked into a vent and slides to a stop. Then a SECOND vent opens under him and he is dumped outside. It's unlikely his hand followed the same path he did, and we didn't see it in either tube he slid through. Whatever it is that falls does so when Luke impacts on the weather vane.

I'm assuming it was some piece of gear from his belt.

But I digress/derail.

I think this is an awesome idea. The damage to the saber should highlight the changes between the ESB and TFA versions. Shred the grips, lose the inside knob...

I always thought that his was blaster that fell out of it's holster as he got caught up, and the sheer force of his sudden stop cause it to come out and fall below. Since we never see him lose the blaster anywhere after he holsters it before his duel with Vader, and then I'm pretty sure it's not in his holster as he gets back on the Falcon.

EDIT: Nevermind! I'm not correct, his blaster is still there, you can see it when he stands up to try and climb back through the little chute and it closes on him.

Hi all no worries on the discussion its interesting :)
As for the hand and saber i do plan on using the salt weathering part of the reason i made it as it a cool way of battering props :) i couldn't find the Hand weathering vid will have a longer lookk after work thanks!

Yeah the story behind Luke's saber being found it pretty crappy if you ask me. I had been wondering this months ago and ran across this image somewhere on here. A quick google search found it for me again. The image seems to be taken from one of those Star Wars experience displays either at a Disney resort or in a big city's display.

CTqe3XRUcAAOty0.jpg

Yeah the story behind Luke's saber being found it pretty crappy if you ask me. I had been wondering this months ago and ran across this image somewhere on here. A quick google search found it for me again. The image seems to be taken from one of those Star Wars experience displays either at a Disney resort or in a big city's display.

View attachment 589185

I agree... for such an important peice of SW History, to just say "someone salvaged it from the the city's industrial depths" is kinda a let down. Personally I think it probably went something like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back