Fully improved AT-AT (MPC-ERTL)

This is ridiculously fantastic. What did you use to create such fine details in the body panels, Moska? I apparently am lacking some much needed tools, lol. Really enjoy your work, very inspirational to new modeler's like myself!

Lee

This is ridiculously fantastic. What did you use to create such fine details in the body panels, Moska? I apparently am lacking some much needed tools, lol. Really enjoy your work, very inspirational to new modeler's like myself!

Lee

Hi Lee.

Tools? Well ... some cutters with blades of different shapes, sandpaper, abrasive files ... really don't remember using nothing more.
If you make a good prior planning and prepare a template guide, the rest is only cut and paste.

For example, the "dripping gutters": I used 0.25 mm styrene sheet to build a rectangular tube. To make sure the tube was uniform and has the correct size, first I cut a solid strip with the tube inner measurements. I used the strip as master to stick the four walls of the tube around it. When cutting the small dripping gutters, I did the cuts with the strip inside the tube, cutting at the same time the tube and the inside strip to prevent the tube walls collapse when cutting in such thin sections.

Want a more complicated example?
These two pieces are part of my Snowspeeder model. 22 bits of styrene glued together in each of these parts.

SN_016.jpg
Fully improved Snowspeeder: Rogue Leader

As I said before, planning, printed template, cut and paste. Easy. :angel

Thanks for your kind words. :)
Rafa

Easy! Sure, minus the whole problem of being able to see microscopic details! ;) I hope your eyesight sticks around. Again, amazing work!

Hi Lee.

Tools? Well ... some cutters with blades of different shapes, sandpaper, abrasive files ... really don't remember using nothing more.
If you make a good prior planning and prepare a template guide, the rest is only cut and paste.

For example, the "dripping gutters": I used 0.25 mm styrene sheet to build a rectangular tube. To make sure the tube was uniform and has the correct size, first I cut a solid strip with the tube inner measurements. I used the strip as master to stick the four walls of the tube around it. When cutting the small dripping gutters, I did the cuts with the strip inside the tube, cutting at the same time the tube and the inside strip to prevent the tube walls collapse when cutting in such thin sections.

Want a more complicated example?
These two pieces are part of my Snowspeeder model. 22 bits of styrene glued together in each of these parts.

View attachment 586540

As I said before, planning, printed template, cut and paste. Easy. :angel

Thanks for your kind words. :)
Rafa

Rafa, that simple instruction is one of the best pieces of advice I have gotten regarding modeling. I have been thinking "big" and running into a barrier of my own making by deciding everything's TOO big. Simply break things down into more simple steps and, as you say, "cut and paste". I feel like I just got "yoda'd" on Dagobah! Unlearn :cool

I mean it's embarrassingly obvious after someone says it... so much so I feel silly, lol.

Those Snowspeeder parts hit home. 22 separate pieces. It's brilliant. I keep seeing these intricate small pieces and wondering how in the world someone carved that and where did they get a solid styrene block to do it but feeling to newbish to ask.

Thank you for the simple advice! Is it too much trouble to ask for links to your projects?

Sincerely learning,
Lee

...Simply break things down into more simple steps…

Exactly, that's the trick :thumbsup

...Is it too much trouble to ask for links to your projects?

These are the links to my models.
Bear in mind that some of them were built many years ago and, like any other modeler, I've learned along the way.

The Millennium Falcon and Y-Wing Fighter models that you'll see these links no longer have that aspect. I had to re-paint them in the middle of 2014 because they were badly damaged and had to put them back ready to participate in an exhibition.

It was a joy to have that motivation because I took that opportunity to regain my collection in perfect condition. I also went to paint my old models X-Wing (MPC) and AT-AT (a first version that I built years ago without any improvement in the MPC kit).

That also was the cause that motivates me to make new versions of my old Snowspeeder and AT-AT models.

You can see all my refurbished models in my albums on this same site.

The links:

therpf.com
1/24 X-Wing near 100% from scratch
Tie bomber: Complete plans and parts id.

starshipmodeler.com
Millennium Falcon (MPC)
Scratchbuilt Y-Wing
A-Wing (MPC)
Slave One (MPC)

loresdelsith.net (only in spanish, sorry)
Millennuim Falcon
TIE Advanced
TIE Bomber
Y-Wing Fighter
A-Wing Fighter
Speeder Bike
Slave-1
Snowspeeder

Best regards.
Rafa

I could never tell those were the cheap MPC kits, top notch work!!! it takes a lot of work to make them look the way you did, your Slave I paintjob is AMAZING!!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back