Fully improved AT-AT (MPC-ERTL)

Moska

Sr Member
The idea of making a good model based on an MPC-ERTL kit, is often a project in which much of the work will be to make your own pieces from scratch. Still, we must recognize that parts of the kit are a good basis on which to work, although it is clear that all parts used from the original kit will need major improvements.

MAIN BODY
I used the pieces from the kit but the following improvement works were necessary:

- Panel lines: I Corrected its location when it was necessary and, above all, make them recesed or bas-relief. For this work I use templates that I made in computer pasted on the model using 3M spray adhesive. (image-001)

ATAT-001.jpg

- The two hatches located at the front and rear sections of both sides, that in the IL&M model hide their anchor points: I cut them completely to place again but a little recessed under the rest of the surface and leaving its perimeter line something thicker than the other panel lines. (image-002)

ATAT-002.jpg

- The "stairs" on both sides: Sanded completely and replaced with finer pieces made from scratch. (image-003)

ATAT-003.jpg

- The "Drip gutters": Also sanded completely and replaced with parts made from scratch. At the time of paste, I corrected a error of the kit, since these parts must be symmetrical on both sides of the model. (image-004)

ATAT-004.jpg

- Detail on the lower left corner of the front section of the right side made from scratch. (image-005)

ATAT-005.jpg

- Top center area: I removed the main details and replaced them with pieces made from scratch. (image-006)

ATAT-006.jpg

- Front side: I did a piece from scratch to correct its details and modify the neck position 5 mm lower. (image-007)

ATAT-007.jpg

- Rear side: I placed the three shields that are omitted in the kit. (image-008)

ATAT-008.jpg

BELLY CYLINDERS
- I placed inside it a home-made mechanism made with small brass tubes to articulate the legs.

- Rear Cylinder: I added the detail on both sides that are ommited in the kit, made from scratch. (image-009)

ATAT-009.jpg

HEAD

- Panel lines: corrected and made them recesed.

- Detail on the right side made from scratch. (image-010)

ATAT-010.jpg

- Rear side detailed as the original IL&M model. (image-011)

ATAT-011.jpg

SIDE BLASTERS
- Detailed extra in the main body of weapons.

- Cannons replaced by metal parts. Finer and longer than those that come in the kit to match the originals.

- Shields made from scratch by copying the original model details. (image-012)

ATAT-012.jpg

LOWER CANNONS

- The gun tubes have been replaced by metal pipes and now have the correct length.

- The front parts or ends of the cannons were made from scratch.

- Firing motion (forward and backward). (image-013)

ATAT-013.jpg

NECK

- The only improvement was to add a small styrene rings pasted in the axes of the clamps. (image-014)

ATAT-014.jpg

LEGS
As I wanted fully articulated legs and with all the moving parts as in the original model, the only option was to make them from scratch.

I needed to do a lot of pieces because the legs are hollow, and placed inside some gears mechanisms designed by me to make that pistons and central parts of the joints to move every time I turn some articulation, copying the movement of those parts as in the IL&M model. (images-015, 016 and 017)

ATAT-017.jpgATAT-015.jpgATAT-016.jpg

I detailed the soles of the feet and made the toe flaps also articulated to suit the terrain.

The only parts of the kit I used in the legs were the feet and the blocks of the "ankles".
I had to reform the pieces of the feet to reduce their height and to provide them with the panel lines and details showing the original model.
I separated the blocks of the "ankles" from the kit parts and detailed them with all the necessary elements. (image-018)

ATAT-018.jpg

PAINTING
The model is painted with an airbrush using a mixture of acrylic Tamiya XF2 Matt White (1/2) and XF19 Sky Grey (1/1). To enrich the shades I have slightly changed the proportions in different areas of the model, and I've also used some ocher and bluish hues.

Once the paint is well dry, I left the airbrush and started the aging and weathering process with washes of black oil paint dissolved in diluent to Humbrol enamels. To make the vertical daubs that are repeated in many areas of the model I used black pastel color applied with a esfuminer and finished with small dots of black oil paint that are stretched and smoothed when passing over them, with a move from top to bottom, a moistened brush with clean solvent. The effects of ocher and rust are made with pastel colors applied with esfuminers and cotton swabs. Finally, bumps and scratches are drawn directly on the model with a soft (B) pencil and then a cotton swab is passed to mess a little the contours of those spots.

Finally, all the work is protected with several thin coats of matt varnish.

Thanks for looking :)
Moska

Excellent all around! My one nitpick, and this is something 99.9% of all AT-AT modelers seem to miss, is that the walker's foot is actually two independent moving pieces. The upper drum (the one you reduced in height) should actually compress into the bigger, lower foot drum. Watch the footage as the walker takes a step. The foot compresses as it steps. It's most obvious when the foot stomps Luke's speeder. Even official cross-sections get this detail wrong and assume the foot is one molded piece.

Very nice work! Having recently studied the heck out of the studio model so I could do similar work on the larger Revell model, I can say with authority that this is a beautiful piece of work. Especially in this scale, the little details are wonderful! (and very accurate)

Marvelous AT-AT ... and I just wonder about those clean cut scratched leg parts ... are those laser cut?

Chaim

Super cool... way more patience wit that kit than I have.

Jedi Dade

Hi Jedi Dade.

If you enjoy what you're doing is not a matter of patience. :popcorn

Excellent all around! My one nitpick, and this is something 99.9% of all AT-AT modelers seem to miss, is that the walker's foot is actually two independent moving pieces. The upper drum (the one you reduced in height) should actually compress into the bigger, lower foot drum. Watch the footage as the walker takes a step. The foot compresses as it steps. It's most obvious when the foot stomps Luke's speeder. Even official cross-sections get this detail wrong and assume the foot is one molded piece.

Hi Hunk a Junk.

The truth is that I knew that the drums of the feet are two separate pieces. I've observed very carefully the images of the film. If you look at my pics, you'll see that I've marked the line between the two drums and paint the shading to get the feeling that they are two different parts. I decided that this joint wasn't important enough for my model. Perhaps this decision wasn't correct... :facepalm

Marvelous AT-AT ... and I just wonder about those clean cut scratched leg parts ... are those laser cut?

Chaim

Hi Chaim.

The pieces are not laser cut. As I explained in my post, I use templates that have previously drawn on my computer. Then I pasted them on the styrene sheets as a guide to cut the pieces accurately. It takes some time but not really difficult. :sleep

Thank you very much everyone for your kind words. I am happy to share my work with people who love this hobby.

Be happy :)

Rafa | Moska

Absolutely fantastic! I LOOOVE the AT-AT. You have done something wondeful to it; this is pure eye-candy. :)

Could you upload the templates here, please, so that others (including me ;) ) can follow your example?

The truth is that I knew that the drums of the feet are two separate pieces. I've observed very carefully the images of the film. If you look at my pics, you'll see that I've marked the line between the two drums and paint the shading to get the feeling that they are two different parts. I decided that this joint wasn't important enough for my model. Perhaps this decision wasn't correct... :facepalm

No, it looks GREAT! You just got so much of the model right I wanted to make sure you knew that detail. I missed it myself for years. I built mine (and I missed many of the details you caught) in a static pose to show how the feet compress.
HOJ Walker 1.JPGHOJ Walker 2.JPGHOJ Walker 3.JPG

Attachments

• HOJ Walker 1.JPG
    HOJ Walker 1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 173
  • HOJ Walker 2.JPG
    HOJ Walker 2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 171
  • HOJ Walker 3.JPG
    HOJ Walker 3.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 171
Absolutely fantastic! I LOOOVE the AT-AT. You have done something wondeful to it; this is pure eye-candy. :)

Could you upload the templates here, please, so that others (including me ;) ) can follow your example?

Hello Galactican.

About templates ... I had to devise my own templates. It is a delicate work, but also fun. And I consider it part of the work to create or enhance a model.
By sharing my work I only intend to serve as inspiration for other modelers, not to give things already solved.
I'm sorry. My model shows that there are many improvements that can be made. I found my own solution. I encourage you to find yours.

My best wishes.
Moska

No, it looks GREAT! You just got so much of the model right I wanted to make sure you knew that detail. I missed it myself for years. I built mine (and I missed many of the details you caught) in a static pose to show how the feet compress.
View attachment 586460View attachment 586459View attachment 586458

The truth is that your pics convince me that my decision to omit that detail was wrong.
You did very well, and although you have to know very well the model to look at this detail, I realize that visually brings more realism than I thought.
Fortunately, my model is constructed in a way that allows me to easily remove the feet. So maybe this will encourage me to correct it. (this is just a possibility, not a promise) ;)

Thanks for your interest.
Moska

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back