Bandai Y-Wing Starfighter

korben44

Master Member
WP_20160201_13_59_16_Raw_LI.jpg

I just got this kit in the mail today. It's 1/72, like most of my other kits. I will compare it to my Fine Molds kit I did, but I can tell you right away that the Bandai kit is much more detailed.

What I love about these Bandai 1/72 kits, is the character figures they provide with them. This Y-Wing kit has 2 different seated pilots you can use, as well as a standing rebel pilot and two droids, an R2 unit and an R5 unit.

This is a great kit, right up until the point where you start putting the pipes in, then its a nightmare.

Plus once they are on there are very few places you can actually touch the ship without bending them.

Yeah, I experienced that with the FineMolds kit... This one seems to have even more delicate piping.. That looks to be not so much fun, but it's about the journey, right?

WP_20160201_16_04_31_Raw_LI.jpg

Here's the cockpit with some weathering and decals. And droids, too. There were no decals for the droids so painting them is going to be fun.

Nice work on the R2, I know how small that is only too well.

The one that is done in the center is from the fine molds kit and that came with decals...lol.. The other two are going to be a challenge for sure. I'm going to do the R2 unit as an R2-Q5 droid. And I think I'm going with an R5-D2 look for the R5 one.

I do have to say that comparing the Bandai kit to my FineMolds Y-wing is almost like comparing apples to oranges. The FineMolds kit is great in detail, but the Bandai Y-Wing takes it beyond great to exceptional. The amount of detail in it is staggering, honestly. I'll post some comparison pictures when I get back home.

Here are some comparison picks of the FineMolds kit and the Bandai Y-Wings:

WP_20160203_07_40_52_Raw_LI.jpgWP_20160203_07_40_42_Raw_LI.jpgWP_20160203_07_37_06_Raw_LI.jpg

I don't know how close you can zoom in on these photos, but they are pretty high resolution, so it should show the difference in detail. Ignore the horrendously weathered Y-Wing on the right :)

I used pointed tweezers to install all of my pipes on my Bandai kit. Painting first would make building this kit a nightmare, the precision fit of all the pipes would be horrible if they had any paint on the tabs or in the mounting holes.

Yeah, the piping is delicate. What's nice about these kits is that they pretty much go together without glue. Makes test fitting real easy.

Some more observations... It seems that Bandai really went all out with the greeblies on this Y-Wing. Compared to the studio scale version, this kit is much more detailed. What they did was add tons of detail to already existing parts, like enhancing some pipes or adding additional texture to all parts of the ship. When placed next to the FineMolds kit, the engine fuselage is shorter and the two laser canons on the front of the cockpit are more in line with what you would find on the studio scale version. I like the special attention to detail that Bandai has done. The only issue I have with their kits is the coloring used for some of the molds. It makes painting the ship more tedious if you want to keep those parts in that specific color. I do like the added detail to the front of the engines located underneath the nose cones. That makes this kit that much better in terms of realism, although you can only view it when those cones are removed. Therefore, I'll be displaying this little unit with landing gear down and one nose cone removed to give it "working on it" kind of look.

So I'll be able to post some updates to this build this week. I lost a piece of my airbrush and had to order a replacement part. Having thick carpet is a drag sometimes.

Nice job!! I really like the Y-wings, and the Bandai kits are outstanding!

Watching intently....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back