Hasbro - Rey's Speeder modifications

cirrusx1

I've been reworking the Hasbro 1/12 scale toy. Some progress shots of the main body and grill. Using my imagination a bit on the underside vent and left speeder panel scribed lines. More fun that way. More to come as I finish this. Is anyone else out there doing one of these?
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Sweet! I actually bought one of these with the exact same intentions! I'm not ready to start in, though, so it'll be great to see how you go about it.

I was planing to get the Incredible Crossections book for TFA and using that for detail ideas.

Do you plan on making use of the Rey figure also? I was thinking of using it, and sculpting in the joints to make it a solid figure rather than a posable one.

--Alex

Last edited:
One tiny addition: I decided at the last minute to use the strap apparatus by removing the webbing. I was going to ditch it and start from scratch. Not sure I could do any better though. image.jpeg

I'm going to add real scale cloth webbing to this along with freestanding scrap parts. It actually modeled very close to the reference photos I found.

Working on the scratch built exhaust vents. Test fit with wax (the red center). Pleased with the shape. Currently working on the inner exhaust cones that will hold it into place. Getting rid of all the soft plastic pieces with either styrene or resin molded copies, which I poured the silicone for tonight. I'll show those tomorrow if I get around to molding some. It's looking less toy and more scale model to me.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last note for the evening. My interpretation of the rear underbelly exhaust nozzles. It looked a lot to me like the engine exhausts on the 2001 Pan Am Space Clipper. So, I sort of based it on that by looking at the attached profile image.

Exhaust nozzles molded. I took the pail/bucket off of my Mc farlane Jaws, Orca boxed set and molded it. It works great and I didn't have to make a piece which saved time.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Im thinking I might mold the parts I make up as a kit if I get enough interest. I'd add the seat which is done and the windscreen mount (not done).
any interest?

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing sexy in terms of exterior progress. Lots of prep work to wire the interior. I added a switch that will power LED lights for the engines and some fiber optic instrument dash lights. The vent cover for all of this stays on with a super magnet. Ironically, it is attracted to the metal of the battery. Not sure if this will be bad in terms of affecting the power. Anyone know?

the engines are a laborious patch, fill and sanding exercise. This is the early stages of that. Made some scratch stabilizer fins too. Rivets are created by drops of semi-dry JB Weld. I'll attach with metal rods once I finish the engines.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Some progress beauty shots of the speeder re-assembled. I think it's coming along pretty good. going to mold up a new windscreen next. Once I get the wiring in, I'll seal the body up and fill the seams and then get down to painting this. It kind of looks cool now. Sort of rat-rod in appearance. :)

cirrusx1, what size is that Hasbro toy? Is it the 3.75" tall figure size model that is about $25 at walmart? That's the only one i'm finding for sale.

Thanks. ken

I got the electronics and wiring done today. The lights in the engines really make this thing rock! also added some intake engine detail inspired from the incredible cross sections book. That was a great suggestion. Thanks Albertese! Also added detail and mounting brackets to the rear stabilizers. Next step is is to close it up and start to work on all the final details and painting.

Last edited:
Some new progress. I decided to learn a 3D software program called 123D Design. Awesome program!! I learned it in an hour building all sorts of parts. The future, we are living in the f-n future! So, I updated the speeder grill that I will print out in actual metal: here is the modeling images of it below:

Some new progress. I decided to learn a 3D software program called 123D Design. Awesome program!! I learned it in an hour building all sorts of parts. The future, we are living in the f-n future! So, I updated the speeder grill that I will print out in actual metal: here is the modeling images of it below:

Looking great. Just downloaded 123D Design to give it a try - looks very interesting!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back