Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

Hi All
got a little more done tonight. Made the blocky section and the arms that connect it to the scope mount. The arms are made from 1/8 inch thick aluminum. The block is a peice of wood. Got one arm connected tonight. Liking this more and more. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82

No bowcaster love? Well anyway got the other bracket and barrel mounted last night so ill post pics tonight.

Hi All
got a little more done tonight. Made the blocky section and the arms that connect it to the scope mount. The arms are made from 1/8 inch thick aluminum. The block is a peice of wood. Got one arm connected tonight. Liking this more and more. Let me know what you think.
That is looking awesome!

The wooden block seems a bit too wide IMHO...what reference pic are you using to scale this?

Just rpf pics of other builds. Ive just been eyeballing what i dont have measurements of. Is it width or thickness youre describing? I can allways cut it down and shave a little off. As far as width is it supposed to be wider than the bowcaster itself?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegHi all
Well was at it again today. Worked on the barrel and arms for the barrel block. Had to tweak the arms by notching them out a little so they wont hit the scope ring screw and the scope ring itself. May cut down the wood block im using with the barrel. Had an oops moment when I drilled a hole for the barrel block arm on the left side and put it in the wrong spot. As a result the screw wont fit now. May glue the screw in or use JB Weld then tap it. Heres pics.

Just rpf pics of other builds. Ive just been eyeballing what i dont have measurements of. Is it width or thickness youre describing? I can allways cut it down and shave a little off. As far as width is it supposed to be wider than the bowcaster itself?

I was referring to the width. I am no expert, since my Horton is still UNconverted with just the sideplates attached, but I think the one on the real BC/ kurtyboys build is not as big...might be wrong and just wasting your time :lol

No not wasting my time at all! I apreciate any and all input. Im not good at scaling things from pictures so i try to eyeball things. Sometimes looks good sometimes not so good. Gonna see if I can look up kurtyboys build and have a look. Anyone have any idea of the dimensions of the front barrel support? The peice in front of the bow?

Raining here again in nj so what do you do? well you work on your bowcaster of course! Madr the front barrel support and fixed my booboo with the stripped out screw. Now trying to figure out the bow length. I used my Barnett as a guide and came up wth 29 inches long. Judging by different builds ive seen here this seems too short? Can the experts tell me the length? Thanks

Hello again
got the barrel supprt and front bracket made today. Used a jugsaw to cut the 16 gauge steel for the bracket. Also cut down the wood block at the rear of the barrel. From looking at vintage pics of the bowcaster it appears to me that this bracket goes on after the bow itself is mounted. Heres pics!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 65

Heres some more pics of where im at now. Im tweaking the parts ive made and ding some test fitting. Taped on my front barrel support and am quite pleased at how it looks now. I also cut down the wood block . Oh and funny story and let this be a lesson to all....i w crusing the 'bay the other night and looking at some knobs for the bowcaster and fell asleep. Woke the next morning to find I bought them! Lol ive heard of sleep walking but never sleep buying. Oh well! Also made the bow and attached the balls. I used a strip of aluminum that is 1/8 inch thick. Cut the taper with my Shop Smith band saw. Pretty happy with the progress ive made now. Got one more part to make and thats the sight. Then its final cleanup, paint then assembly. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Hi all
worked a little more on the bowcaster tonight. There is a gap between the bow and the barrel support bracket. I cut some filler peices from aluminum and also found a large d ring in my scrap box. I cut some steel bent it around and will use that as my d-ring. I know its not screen accurate but neither is this build. Lol!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70

Hi all
Couple of pics detaling what Ive done to the bow and barrel support tonight. Since I didnt create tge groove or notch that the bow sits in there was this gap that I just didnt like. So I cut some peices of aluminum to fill the gaps. I then used these old rivits from my hardware boxes. Drilled the holes then put the rivets in then flattened them in my vice. Worked great! Then attached my d ring and the aluminum plate at the bottom. I used pop rivets here. Then so the bow wouldnt turn added a button head screw below the big allen head I used. Bow is now nice and tight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80

To be honest - i don´t like it.

If i were you i would redo this and cut the groove to put the bow in.

You did better before - please don´t start to use shortcuts now. ;)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back