Chewbaccas bowcaster build...FINISHED!

Re: Chewbaccas bowcaster build

Some more done today on my never ending bowcaster build. Finally finished with my SinglePoint scope. Painted it today after fixing bubbles and a bad metallic paintjob. Not happy with this resin copy but it will help me to move on with the build. Cant decide which cone to use on the end. Have two plastic spray bottle caps and a resin clear cone with no red filament. I used a beveld rubber washer with a ball point pen refill. I cut off the clear part of the pen refill and used a red sharpie to color it. I welcome any and all opinions. Thanks
Sorry bout the sideways pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78

I could do that but wont the hole itself be opaque or whiteish just from drilling into it. I dont think it would be clear enough to see the red wire. Thoughts?

Interesting idea, and thanks for link a few posts later. May try this - I have everything but the conical scope.. ..I have the rounded-tip scope, a couple of spray bottle tips, and a few resin cones but from memory I think those may be a bit bubbly.

Drill a hole in the clear resin tip and put a piece if red wire in it.

Yeah the one I have has some bits of debris and i had to wetsand and polish the heck out of it. Im going to try the red wire trick. Was going to take a syringe and inject red paint but i like the other way.

Ok well for me drilling into the clear cone was a fail! Gonna try to mold a new cone later. Finished my Singlepoint resin scope with the clear spray cap. Best I can do for now. I have my scope assembly back together and am pretty happy with it. Heres pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85

Today worked the knob placement and sanded the plexi sideplates. Used gorilla glue epoxy and glued the knobs in place. Used some old screws to complete the look. Waiting for glue to dry before I paint them.
The scope rings were bothering me cause I didnt get the right ones for the build. They fit on the small scopes but two of the rings had to be put on upside down in order to match the position on the real bowcaster. I decided to turn the screws around. I drilled the threads out on rings, then found matching screws in my parts boxes. I then found 4 nuts that i could thread on the bottom. So now they all look the same. Makes me feel better!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    866.2 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 78

Ok so i think the only peice i have left to make are the d rings. Is the front d ring attached by a thin peice of leather and how long does it hang down?

image.jpegOk heres where Im at now. Used a peice of vinyl and a curtain rod ring for my bowcaster sling mount. Didnt have any leather.

Hi, i will someday scratch build a bowcaster for myself ( nothing as nice as what you are building),when and if i finally finish my ( budget) Chewie, can i bother you for a photograph of your build with a ruler beside it so i can have a better idea of the general dimensions when i actually start my budget build..... thanks so much!

No problem. Allthough some of this im making up as I go along. Didnt use the correct Horton stock so my dimensions may be off. Just so your aware.

Finally getting some paint on things. Painted my sideplates and really love how they look! Heres pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

Finally! Painted the main bowcaster body and the bow tonight. Used krylon satin black. Once the paint is dry Ill post more pics. Enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 66

Ok so it looks like this is one prop that dosent want to get built. Im sorry to say I guess I rushed the paintjob. I can see a crack in the filler that I used to shape the front end of the body. Also can see the actual plastic of the body and the plastic of the filler. Im really frustrated here with this. Another spot had a big crack and I found that the filler under this crack hadnt fully cured. I cut out this area and filled it with jb weld. I will sand this area and use a little more filler if I have to. Im really thinking of putting this project away.

You did use primer to get a uniform finish before applying the paint? Wetland the primer with around 600-800 grit as well.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back