Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Looks like it in your pic, but I don't think it's a patch. I think the entire lower part from the top of the kneepad down is sewn on as a separate piece. You can see the seam there on both legs.
View attachment 639180

.... it's on the kelliwise pic above too.

In this photo you can still see the lighter/white-ish patch on the back of her leg if you look closely, but it definitely looks more like weathering than an actual sewn-on patch. The weathering looks similar to what can be seen on her left kneepad when she's climbing against the wall.

In the photo kelliwise posted it looks like the bottom half of the pants is not only sewn on as a second piece but it's also be a second, darker color. The outline of the right kneepad may also be darker than the outline of the left kneepad. Hard to confirm that from other pictures though.

Hi all, first time poster here.
This thread has been incredibly helpful, so first of I would like to thank all of you for that.
I have been working on putting together a pattern for the vest for the past few weeks, but as that seems to be done soon, I decided to start working on the pants and backpack too. So, after a lot of searching the world wide web I found this buckle, similar to the roll pin buckle as stated before, and thought it was a pretty good match. I couldn't really find it for sale anywhere though, all I found out was that it's some sort of slide bar buckle. Maybe some of you might be able to identify it properly as I have absolutely no knowledge in that area.

View attachment 638982

What you show there looks correct. I'm fairly sure it's more ejection seat hardware.
You can see it (or a very similar version of it) in this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boeing-B-52...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Fantastic thread!!! I've been lurking for a while because I wasn't sure if I was going to end up making this costume, but I'm finally committing!
I got a few swatches from Dorr Mill. Do you guys think #414 the way to go?

20160702_182417.jpg

I think you're right. I just went back out in the sun and took another shot of 616 and it looks pretty good. Thanks for the input!

20160708_161032.jpg

I usually like their sculpts... it's much harder to do a sculpt of a woman... likeness always is tougher...

But this Rey just isn't hitting the mark.

I'd still take it though!

Personally, I think the sculpt itself looks good. It looks like Rey, even the way she stands. There are some inaccuracies in the clothes and props because they are so small. But overall, it looks better than few of the sixth scales I have.

Wondering about a couple things though. There is fringe at the bottom of her jacket on the figure. Do you think this is right? I always thought it was the blanket stitch all the way around the edges. But it's hard to tell from this picture.

rey-pants.jpg

The other question was the color of the bag. It's definitely tan on the action figure, but I've always been torn between whether it is a dirty tan or a light army green. I'm working on one, and it's green, so I'm going to be bummed if it's tan. I almost made it tan. :/

Has this costume ever been on display?

my vote is for heavily weathered - worn green.

rey-resistance-bags2.jpg

I also am not convinced that the upper flap area of the bag is actually wider than the bottom of the bag, even though it appears that way in some images. The bag has a natural tendency to collapse in the center when slung, so I think that may just be the way it ends up looking having the flap on the outside of the body of the bag.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Back after giving birth to my newest youngling! I'm about to embark on my third version of the vest! I'm going to go the less expensive route this time and line it with a different fabric. How many yards have you guys been ordering? I'm short, so I'm thinking a yard and a half should do it. Also, about the bottom of the vest: I saw the fraying on the figure too, and mentally I had been wondering for a while if the bottom was stitched or frayed, but upon looking carefully at a new still, I'd say that yes, it's frayed, but only a wee bit.
Screenshot 2016-06-24 22.49.19.jpg
Also, it appears that the gauntlets are indeed knitted on the bottom...gonna have to learn have to lean how to do those stitches lol

Redwillow, that makes me feel better because your bag looks great! I didn't make mine wider at the bottom. I think that it's just flexible, like you said. One thing I did do, though I'm not sure it is actually like this, is that I doubled the fabric on the top front flap to make it stiffer. It seemed to flimsy otherwise.

Question on the shoulder strap. Is it made from the same Enfield Sling as the strap for the staff? I have one (a repro) and it is too short to use just one. Are there two used and stitched together like the staff sling?

- - - Updated - - -

Owlfeathers, welcome back! And congratulations!!

Thanks for posting the picture. Do you think the bottom of the vest is blanket stitched at the edge and then frayed, too? It looks like it has the blanket stitch to me.

On the gauntlets, it's a very tight knit if they are. I always thought they were knitted or woven then felted then the loose stitching area is where they were attached.

Yes, I think the bottom was straight stitched across the bottom then frayed. I had to REALLY zoom in to see the detail.

And yes,I would agree, just the bottom part below the "pad" is knitted and felted.

Yes, the flap definately needs to be doubled. It was apparent to me as soon as i made that part and that 's how i did mine.

for the strap i used 1 repro enfield sling in od green. It does not need to be as long as the staff sling, so for me 1 seemed right and the adjustment slider ended up around mid chest.

I think you're right about it being straight stitched then frayed. I wouldn't have guessed that.

I was also surprised about the pants. I had seen the front panel seam, but I didn't see that there were actual channels between each quilted section. Guess I'll eventually have to make a new pair.

Here's the image with a bit of sharpening on it.

New 2016-06-24 22.49.19.jpg

Redwillow, the slings straps I got are not long enough. They are 39" each, and that's not enough to double back to the slide and have it reach down my back to the bag, too. Once it's doubled for the slide, the end only reaches to just past my shoulder. How long are each of your sling straps?

About 43". But you might still be able to make a shorter one work.

you will need to extend the canvas past the ends of the sling and use those canvas areas to wrap where it connects to the buckles on each end. The enfield sling will be really thick to connect around the middle of the slider anyway. Plus you wont really be able to see the end spot where it doubles for the adjustable length.

if you decide to use 2 i think you can just hide the seam where it doubles. I used contact cement to adhere the canvas to the back of the sling.... And it will be easier if you make it wider then cut it down after you glue both parts together.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm trying to get this done in time for Comic-con, and I don't know if I have enough canvas on hand to back the strap, so that may be done later. I'll have to see if I can make the sling work, or I might use the strap that came with the messenger bag I made my bag from.

Here's my bag so far. It's more green in reality than it is in the picture. The picture looks closer to the actual. I'm not sure that the netting is right, but it will have to do for now. It was a laundry bag that I sprayed with the paint you use to revive or change color on shoes and leather. "Nu Life Color Spray". I wish I could see a good picture of how it actually looks. I have a piece of lighter brown canvas cut that could go behind the netting, but I want to see a good picture first.

MithrilsBag.jpg

Okay, for giggles and grins, I looked back at the JoAnn's site for fabric and was excited to see that they have a grey herringbone available! It's in cotton, but a great cheap alternative to wool if you cannot afford it. I'm going by there and will post photos of it in person. Here is the link on the site

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back