Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

BUT!!....is it even worth worrying about?

Because Maz says thats a story for another time, it doesn't mean we have to be privy of it

There's bits we don't see,....bits that we have to fill in ourselves

There are bits I always wondered about,...like how did the landing gear of the Falcon come down when there was no-one on board?

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums...cale Movie Set Falcon/Falcon landing gear.jpg

But is it really worth worrying about?

Perhaps the lightsaber story will never be explained,....I don't really care,....if there was a backstory of Luke giving it to young Kylo/Ben,...thats cool,...but if it was salvaged & sought after as a relic, I'd prefer not to have them shoehorn that explanation in

J

not to get all nerdy, but i believe it was in the tractor field, and once the ship is in the tractor beam/field i think the tractor beam can take control of the entire ship. we see han capture the falcon with his long haul freighter in TFA and in the cockpit rey loses all control, and somehow the landing gear comes out too.

I don't see that as comparable

Its his weapon.....how did Kylo get Vaders Helmet,...thats more comparable

There are other answers I need,....R2's inactiviy,....Rey's parentage & why the Force is SO strong in her

J

R2 is my favorite star wars character, i felt so ripped off with him in TFA. and i felt so ripped off when he just wakes up with nothing explained why... JJ explained a couple of weeks later but who the hell would realize he was in deep sleep data compiling all his data trying to calculate where luke is.... then conveniently wake up when rey shows up... totally ripped off....

not to get all nerdy, but i believe it was in the tractor field, and once the ship is in the tractor beam/field i think the tractor beam can take control of the entire ship. we see han capture the falcon with his long haul freighter in TFA and in the cockpit rey loses all control, and somehow the landing gear comes out too.

Yes of course,....she gets captured again,...& the same thing happens

Thanks Halliwax,.....another thing for me to worry over:facepalm:D

J

A lot of the dialogue served a larger purpose on a film level. But not on a story level. One of elements is that incredibly clumsy bit about artoo.

They wanted this movie to feature rey and bb8. Therefore they couldn't introduce artoo and luke into the film. ..yet they still needed to be important.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I've said it probably the day after I saw the film,...R2 is in Rey's vision,....Luke placing his hand on him,...like he is sending him on another mission,.....like every film,...R2 is always entrusted with highly private information (or a hidden lightsaber),....I'd like to think JJ couldn't give the real reason why R2 was inactive,.....hopefully we will see that Luke sent him back to the Resistance to wait until Rey showed up,....then bring her to him,....or something like that

If the JJ explanation is all there is to it,...I think it's a wasted opportunity & goes against the character of R2

J

There are bits I always wondered about,...like how did the landing gear of the Falcon come down when there was no-one on board?

We live in a world where cars park themselves, stop themselves, in some cases drive from point a to b themselves, and you're concerned that a ship that can go faster than light is going to land with its gear up? :)

We live in a world where cars park themselves, stop themselves, in some cases drive from point a to b themselves, and you're concerned that a ship that can go faster than light is going to land with its gear up? :)

....well....back in 77 I did,....I've learned to stop worrying about things like that now:D

J

Maybe for safety reasons, they all have an exterior release? I'm sure the ramp has one.

We have one of those genie lifts at my work and although the controls are from the bucket there's an emergency release from the base that allows you to lower the bucket in case of emergency.

This of course, is the first time I've ever thought of this. I always wanted to know where the ladder went on Lukes x-wing

Maybe for safety reasons, they all have an exterior release? I'm sure the ramp has one.

We have one of those genie lifts at my work and although the controls are from the bucket there's an emergency release from the base that allows you to lower the bucket in case of emergency.

This of course, is the first time I've ever thought of this. I always wanted to know where the ladder went on Lukes x-wing

Luke's ladder retracts into the side just like it does on the Navy's C-40 (Boeing 737) and I would image many other aircraft.

C-40A%20boarding.jpg

Last edited:
That's true. I guess you could put me in the same camp that a lot of fans felt when the Phantom menace came out. This felt like enough of a departure that I have a hard time accepting it. Maybe after episode 8 it will be easier.

As I've said many times before, TFA isn't Star Wars. It's a decent enough movie I guess, but it isn't Star Wars because they don't make movies like that anymore. Star Wars has a particular feel. This isn't it. There will never be another Star Wars movie again because they don't make movies like Star Wars anymore. There won't be another Indiana Jones movie ever again either. Movie-making has changed so dramatically that the first trilogy stands alone and will never be replicated.

That was entirely secondary to the fact that the Falcon was clearly fighting against the tractor beam on the way in, which wouldn't have happened if it was abandoned. You can explain the landing gear with automated systems, the other... not so much, But it's just a movie, not everything has to be explained all the time.

As I've said many times before, TFA isn't Star Wars.

Well Ok... i guess since we've now had a Royal Decree we all know precisely what is and is not Star Wars. Thank you for clearing that up. :rolleyes

Though I expect it doesn't actually need to be said, i think i'll go ahead and say it anyway:

That is YOUR Opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, it is only your opinion, and nobody else is obligated to agree with it.

ANH and ESB always get built-in immunity to criticism.

No they don't, they can get criticized where they are legitimately problematic. I just have a problem when people criticize them because they are not made the way modern movies are made. They're not modern movies. You cannot compare them to modern movies, any more than you can compare movie trailers from the 80s to those made today. You have to understand the context of the times in which these movies were made. But where Lucas legitimately screwed up, by all means, challenge the movies. Nothing is sacred.

- - - Updated - - -

Well Ok... i guess since we've now had a Royal Decree we all know precisely what is and is not Star Wars. Thank you for clearing that up. :rolleyes

Though I expect it doesn't actually need to be said, i think i'll go ahead and say it anyway:

That is YOUR Opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, it is only your opinion, and nobody else is obligated to agree with it.

Everything is opinion, including whatever you have to say. You don't have to agree with my opinions any more than I have to agree with yours. Or didn't that occur to you?

Of course it did. Stating my opinion is exactly what i did.

The difference (at least to my mind) is that you stated your opinion as if it were fact, rather than qualifying it with "that's my take on it", or some such. It isn't the fact that you stated an opinion that i took issue with... it was the manner in which it was presented...as if it weren't entirely subjective, when of course it completely is.

I wonder if that occurred to you?

That was entirely secondary to the fact that the Falcon was clearly fighting against the tractor beam on the way in, which wouldn't have happened if it was abandoned. You can explain the landing gear with automated systems, the other... not so much, But it's just a movie, not everything has to be explained all the time.
So an automated system can set landing gear but not tug away at a gravity pull or tractor beam? You'd think a ship with an auto-pilot would be prepared to "fight" against an unexpected gravity well or something along those lines.

So an automated system can set landing gear but not tug away at a gravity pull or tractor beam? You'd think a ship with an auto-pilot would be prepared to "fight" against an unexpected gravity well or something along those lines.

You have to remember, it also shut down. I'm not saying an AI can't do that, but does the Falcon have one of those AIs? I don't think so. I'd think that would set off a lot more alarm bells than the landing gear, but in the end, it's all a movie and doesn't really matter.

You have to remember, it also shut down. I'm not saying an AI can't do that, but does the Falcon have one of those AIs? I don't think so. I'd think that would set off a lot more alarm bells than the landing gear, but in the end, it's all a movie and doesn't really matter.

Why would it?
Apparently the Falcon has some sort of AI or system that puts out landing gear - so why wouldn't it have some sort of guidance system that counters gravity pulls? I'm not a scientist - but, from what I understand all mass has some gravity. The Falcon might have a system that accounts for unexpected gravity pulls - large, rogue asteroids or whatever the depths of space might have.

Obviously the Falcon had an autopilot, so what was it capable of - what safety systems are built into the ship? I'm suggesting something more inline with what a lot of cars have now with automatic braking or lane detection. Something quick and simple - it's meant to buy time for the pilot to get up there and handle the situation, not completely overcome the it.

Or... Han shut down the Falcon before it was detected and they weren't 'clearly fighting against the tractor beam' and not in a way that would be detectable.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back