Kurtyboy's Hoverboard project 8 Feb 2017 - Vinyl and velcro almost done plus foot pad

Re: Kurtyboy's hoverboard project - 25 October

Your board looks super clean, nice project!
Where did you get your pink lenticular from? Rowland, Sommers?
The lenticular came from Phil S' run a few years ago. It is Sommers Plastic stuff, I checked with him recently when it was mentioned back at the start of Clock88's run. It is not the same stuff as his though.

It has an accurate pattern but being clear makes it too pink with board color showing through. I'm thinking of painting the back with white or silver.

I only have enough for one board and I'm going to have to try and hide the damaged areas!

The lenticular came from Phil S' run a few years ago. It is Sommers Plastic stuff, I checked with him recently when it was mentioned back at the start of Clock88's run. It is not the same stuff as his though.

It has an accurate pattern but being clear makes it too pink with board color showing through. I'm thinking of painting the back with white or silver.

I only have enough for one board and I'm going to have to try and hide the damaged areas!

I recently received clear lenticular from Sommers and want to re-do my Matty hoverboard (once again).
I have to do some print tests to find the accurate pink color under the clear honeycomb layer.
Your pink and green velcros look pretty clear too, much more than regular neon free/pink velcros we can found... it's more accurate.

I ordered some of the clear lenticular as well but the pattern looks different to me.
Mind you the pattern always looks different in each photo than it does in person.

I got my velcro on ebay. Happy to send you some.

re the primer

if you want it right , and these cost a bit , but look at polyester spray filler or 2k high build primer ...they can both be rollered on and no health risks with rollering like there would be spraying 2k , much better than halfords stuff and it will last with no sinkage problems later down the line

Ohhhh now I'm torn between different options LOL! :wacko

Also was looking at getting the battery and magnets paint mixed as spray paint again today. I've asked for color swatches of the closest matches.

battery2.jpg

magnets1.jpg

magnets2.jpg

One final bit of sanding and I think I'm going to try the fiberglass resin tomorrow.

I'm now on the hunt for an accurate pink foam board to do the stunt as well.
hoverboard9.jpg

How long does the fiberlgass resin take to fully cure so it can be sanded? It's still tacky since this morning.

I'd leave it for 2-3 days at least. I'll be sending the samples on Monday by the way :)

Not looking good unfortunately. After nearly 4 days the fiberglass resin is still not what I would call fully cured. Seems solid enough but if you press hard enough you can feel the slight stickiness. Impossible to sand now.

I'll be binning this one (that's trashing to non UK folk) and getting a new one!

Where can I get an accurate pink foam base as well?

Emma, I got the lenticular, thanks
Left it at work so I can't post a comparison but the baby pink is a good color match to the Sommers stuff, just the bubbles are narrower.

You should keep it on the side in case it cures while you're making the other one :p

and yeah the baby pink lenticular is not too far off in my opinion, it looks similar to what bttf123 (I think it was his username) used for his boards. Just let me know if you need more of them:)

Not looking good unfortunately. After nearly 4 days the fiberglass resin is still not what I would call fully cured. Seems solid enough but if you press hard enough you can feel the slight stickiness. Impossible to sand now.

I'll be binning this one (that's trashing to non UK folk) and getting a new one!

Where can I get an accurate pink foam base as well?

Emma, I got the lenticular, thanks
Left it at work so I can't post a comparison but the baby pink is a good color match to the Sommers stuff, just the bubbles are narrower.

Have you tried brushing just the catalyst over the surface? Sometimes that can help remove the tack from the surface. You can also remove tack with baby powder/talc. Just dust it on.

If you're going to toss it anyway, it might be worth trying just to see.

-Nick

Thanks for the tips.I'll try the talc first as the catalyst is in a small tube and there won't be enough to cover the whole board.

Might just try that, Steveo. I only went with the resin because I had it handy.

Here's the Sommers lenticular (left) next to Paperchase (right). Slight difference in bubbles, they're further apart and longer and the pink is a bit brighter now that I see them together.

I wouldn't try to match based on pictures too much, so tricky! The brackets are a rust colour, the magnets are a kind of gunmetal grey if I recall correctly, and the magenta for the battery box should be easily sourced.

Unfortunately I cannot part with my lenticular sheet at this time. I'd like to help with your build though, I saw a screen used board in person a few weeks ago and it definitely was eye opening in terms of seeing the true colours of things.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a screen used board, so color matching to pictures is about all I can do lol!!!

Kurtyboy's hoverboard project - 10 November: Starting on the graphics.

Thanks JL, although at this stage I don't have anything great to show in terms of progress!!! The wooden board is a complete abortion. I spent most of a day trying to sand the fiberglass resin off but it just instantly clogs up the sandpaper.

I'll be switching to a foam board but may try a wooden one again later. Maybe a stunt with printed decal.

I'll be doing a multi-layered board first though so I've started on the graphics, still very rough. I'll look at all the reference photos I have to help refine it as the screenshot is a little pixelated. The lettering will be separate from the yellow and white strips.
hoverboard13.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back