The Walking Dead - Season 6 Discussion

I thought this was an amazing episode. This show always works best when they tell smaller stories. They'd never been able to write large ensemble episodes very well. Morgan is easily the best actor on this show

I enjoyed this episode, it was cool to see where Morgan had been and what his salvation was.
The only problem was, Aikido, a martial art that without the staff is utterly useless against walkers, and I question its effictiveness against the living too. There are plenty of other staff based arts out there and nearly every martial art has some philosphical "precious life" undertone to it, so that aspect of the arc would have been covered.

I enjoyed this episode, it was cool to see where Morgan had been and what his salvation was.
The only problem was, Aikido, a martial art that without the staff is utterly useless against walkers, and I question its effictiveness against the living too. There are plenty of other staff based arts out there and nearly every martial art has some philosphical "precious life" undertone to it, so that aspect of the arc would have been covered.

No, not necessarily, while certain move that rely on joint locks and such wouldn't work the basic principles of aikido, using your opponents strength and momentum against them, would still work against a walker. Even without a staff you'd still be able to more effectively against a walker using aikido than without given the way that aikido is supposed to work.

No, not necessarily, while certain move that rely on joint locks and such wouldn't work the basic principles of aikido, using your opponents strength and momentum against them, would still work against a walker. Even without a staff you'd still be able to more effectively against a walker using aikido than without given the way that aikido is supposed to work.
Most martial arts utilise opponents momentum to a certain degree and most Aikido moves rely on some sort of joint lock or at least close contact technique. Against walkers I would rather throw a swift hard kick at its torso to knock it back a few feet or a stamp on its knee to ground it than have to get up close and get a hold of it. And Ive never seen or even heard of it being effective in full contact, getting a hold of someone,s full on left hook to put a wrist lock on is damn near impossible in the real world.

I've taken martial arts since I was 10 and there's no way I'd use it against a walker unless it was a last resort. Walkers don't give a crap about joint locks or being kicked/punched. The only good it would do is to push one back away from you. I'd much rather find a person teaching Katana skills out in the woods!

That's just it a lot of Aikido moves are open handed or closed, ie with a Katana, Jo, or Bokken.

It can be a VERY deadly Martial Art.

I think O Sensei Ueshiba would have advocated to simply run like hell if he was in a TWD Universe! :lol

I think a few are missing the point of Akido being the martial art in the episode.

It goes like this-

Eastman is in the garage crying from the stress of his job.
Daughter gives him the rabbit's foot that she'd won that day, so that he'll be lucky & be happy.
Next day, Eastman finds the flier for Akido.
Though not studied for self-defense, when he's being choked from a pinned position by the prisoner, he used an Akido move to save his life.
After losing his family & killing Dallas, he realizes a truth taught in Akido. That all life is precious, & by protecting others, you protect yourself.
He uses the exact same move to get Morgan off him.

He gives this wisdom to Morgan, & even the rabbit's foot.
Morgan finds the way to Terminus, & is able to tail Rick's group without even knowing it.
Morgan finds the map with Rick's name on it.
He let's the Wolves, not only live, but actually saves them by placing them in the car, which enables him to find another rabbit's foot.
He finds Daryl & Aaron, & saves them, which enables him to find Rick.

My take away from the episode, although it's not my personal belief, is that the universe is taking care of those that find true peace. Now, from Morgan's perspective, since walking in the 'Way of Peace', he has been 'taken care of'. Led almost by an invisible hand from place, to the exact next place he needs to be. He's even getting little nods of approval along the way, like map, the rabbit's foot, Daryl. So, why would he feel the need to change?

Morgan, through Akido, has decided to kill no living thing. He makes no distinguishing between friend or foe, good or evil, worthy or unworthy, because once he begins trying to alter his path based on personal bias, then he's off the path.

Yeah, well that's all good in all. But being a peace loving hippie who thinks he was trained by master splinter has gotten more people killed..a lot of people. Even a dumb hippie who hated war in nam would have pulled the trigger to save their friends / squad lives. Morgan has no friends in his eyes it seems. Morgan must wake up or someone has to put him down. Funny part would be the priest to do it.

Nicest way I can put this, is, that's a load of crap.

People are scared that Morgan's actions are going to get a character that they like killed.

Morgan has let 2 Wolves live that we've seen. Two of several that invaded Alexandia.

Nothing on the show gives any indication that Morgan led them there. In fact, it's been confirmed that Aaron leaving his bag is what led them to Alexandria. Lay all those deaths on him.

He let the other group live & they took a gun. Rick killed all of them. Zero deaths.

Carol's inaction was going to let Gabriel die, & Morgan saved him. One death that would've been on Carol. Plus one for Morgan.

Since Eastman, we can see no death that Morgan's way has caused. Almost everyone else has decided to kill anyone & everyone, regardless. I don't agree with everything he does, but as a man that's decided to live by a standard, I understand him.

Last edited:
I'm sure Morgan will be filled with peace then when he's either captured by cannibals he won't attack or torn apart by walkers he doesn't want to kill (which are dead already)...

I don't care if blank dies that's a favorite not not. His actions / lack of of it do cause others to die. Sometimes you have to kill the weakest member to be able to survive. It's for the greater good. If he thinks everyone is so good and doesn't need to die. He can take point on anything they do next time.

Eastman dead
red hood guy dead
countless town ppl dead / can blame some Aaron of course
his kid dead
2 ppl that rolled up on him in the woods dead ( 1 which came back to bite Eastman)

a locked up pycho in the basement - hasn't been seen what's to come yet of that mess.

saved:
Tabitha - the goat - dead now
Preist - which should have likely died by now.

I don't care if blank dies that's a favorite not not. His actions / lack of of it do cause others to die. Sometimes you have to kill the weakest member to be able to survive. It's for the greater good. If he thinks everyone is so good and doesn't need to die. He can take point on anything they do next time.

Eastman dead
red hood guy dead
countless town ppl dead / can blame some Aaron of course
his kid dead
2 ppl that rolled up on him in the woods dead ( 1 which came back to bite Eastman)

a locked up pycho in the basement - hasn't been seen what's to come yet of that mess.

saved:
Tabitha - the goat - dead now
Preist - which should have likely died by now.

I said 'since Eastman'.

At his old camp, Morgan still wanted to die. Seeing the kid he killed took him back, & he was going to let himself die. Eastman jumped in on that & got himself killed.

Everything In my post was about SINCE he's decided that all life is valuable.

So the only thing I see after he left Eastman is the town, & that was 100% Aaron.

I laughed a little in the opening credits when I saw the pocket watched and noticed Steven's name is missing.

Guess they had to have a dud sometime this season. Now that they've sat around and pontificated about how hard it all is, maybe we can get back to the plot?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back