MacGyver Reboot

I guess it's simply cheap to be able to use stuff you already own...I don't know.

The article on hollywood reporter doesn't quite get it IMO if they're using the stuff like the X-Files to equivocate as reboots. They're not. They continuing the same thing years down the road.

I sorta get the A-Team in that there was a movie and it made enough money that something like a tv show could be do-able. I'll just say i don't really get what now seems to be the obsession - rebooting an old show. They did it relentlessly in movies and I don't think any were runaway hits or anything, but, once you own it, you own it, so the costs are lesser, in theory, the next time I suppose.

I guess it's simply cheap to be able to use stuff you already own...I don't know.

The article on hollywood reporter doesn't quite get it IMO if they're using the stuff like the X-Files to equivocate as reboots. They're not. They continuing the same thing years down the road.

I sorta get the A-Team in that there was a movie and it made enough money that something like a tv show could be do-able. I'll just say i don't really get what now seems to be the obsession - rebooting an old show. They did it relentlessly in movies and I don't think any were runaway hits or anything, but, once you own it, you own it, so the costs are lesser, in theory, the next time I suppose.

The question is not,"how much money did the successful remakes earn?"

The right question is "how much money did the unsuccessful remakes lose?"

That's where the remake reasoning is.

Remakes, reboots and reinterpretations have been with us since the earliest days of storytelling... and since the early days of Hollywood. It's not going away...

As I suspected, this thread seems to be more about remakes/reboots and the like and not about the actual subject. I'll be honest - I didn't really watch MacGyver as a kid... I saw some here and there, but it didn't really appeal to me. Maybe an update would be more my thing.

UPN was going to do this in the early 2000's while Stargate SG1 was still on. It was supposed to be about his nephew with a series kickoff cameo with Anderson.

Didn't near the end of the series or in one of the movies or something we find out he had a kid? I don't see why it can't be more of a "next generation" thing with his son, rather than a reboot.

It's kinda like what bugs me about Hawaii 5-O. Part of it feels "next generation", and part feels "reboot."

NO. That is it. just a no.

Didn't near the end of the series or in one of the movies or something we find out he had a kid? I don't see why it can't be more of a "next generation" thing with his son, rather than a reboot.

It's kinda like what bugs me about Hawaii 5-O. Part of it feels "next generation", and part feels "reboot."

Near the end of the series.

Nonsense, the simple motive behind all is money pure and simple.

If every one bombed there would be none

Remakes, reboots and reinterpretations have been with us since the earliest days of storytelling... and since the early days of Hollywood. It's not going away... .

UPN was going to do this in the early 2000's while Stargate SG1 was still on. It was supposed to be about his nephew with a series kickoff cameo with Anderson.

I remember this. It was called Young MacGyver or something and Jared Padalecki was going to star. Then it fell apart and he ended up on Supernatural not long after.

Nonsense, the simple motive behind all is money pure and simple.

If every one bombed there would be none
Pffft... absolute BS. It doesn't take a genius to read the comments from director James Wan, and read about his history with the project to see that the motive isn't purely and simply about just money.

Besides all that, since when is television programming and Hollywood in general about not making money?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back