Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber show-off thread

Trooper Trent thank you for all of your help with this. After seeing the pics below do you think its possible for the bearing to be off by that much?

It starts at around 2 o'clock and goes to about 7 o'clock

1.jpg

so, if you remove the rod and just put the bearing in, you can get it to go all the way in? mind taking a pic of that from the top looking down through the neck? if the inner hole is off center you should be able to see that looking through the neck hole at the bearing.

Last edited:
Trooper Trent thank you for all of your help with this. After seeing the pics below do you think its possible for the bearing to be off by that much?

It starts at around 2 o'clock and goes to about 7 o'clock

View attachment 611032

Yup, I'd say it got misaligned when boring out that neck hole. I'd show that pic to Dan in a PM or email (he doesn't check the thread that often) and see if he could swap it out for you.
If not, there are alternatives that would get you the same result. You could try to find a smaller diameter bearing with the same inner diameter and then just epoxy it in, allowing the epoxy to fill in the gap inside. that way it would still spin. Or if you're okay with a fixed emitter, just scrap the bearing altogether and drop some epoxy down into it with the rod and emitter in place.

Your other option is to slightly widen the neck with a drill press so that it sits straight with the bearing in. It'll have some wiggle until you (again) epoxy the bearing in place. And the emitter butts up against the opening so you still wouldn't see any difference.

Thanks Trent, after thinking about it Im not sure how often I will spin the emitter so I scrapped the bearing and used a shaft collar. I threw some grease in and it still spins (slightly). I may try to find a 18mm wide bearing, if I do I will then epoxy it in. I wanted to be 100% sure I wasn't doing something wrong. I appreciate you taking so much time to look at it to confirm. Now I have to decide which Graflex clamp is getting the tabs cut off. It's an amazing light saber, I can't wait to try your stencils.

I've been weathering mine over the last week or so while I wait for Roy's d ring to show up. I've been taking it with me to work, putting it under the seat while I drive, leaving it in the window sill overnight, dropping coins on it; I even put some steel wool and sandpaper in a compartment in my backpack and have been carrying it around with me. Today I took a needle file to some of the sharper edges (namely on the pommel cubes) and softened them up. I also tried the diluted aluminum black treatment on the booster (and pommel section to a degree) to darken/dull things even more. Here's where we stand thus far:
IMG_1163.JPGIMG_1162.JPG
I still haven't tapped the threads for the mystery chunk yet. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous to do it, but I WILL summon the courage :cool

I've been weathering mine over the last week or so while I wait for Roy's d ring to show up. I've been taking it with me to work, putting it under the seat while I drive, leaving it in the window sill overnight, dropping coins on it; I even put some steel wool and sandpaper in a compartment in my backpack and have been carrying it around with me. Today I took a needle file to some of the sharper edges (namely on the pommel cubes) and softened them up. I also tried the diluted aluminum black treatment on the booster (and pommel section to a degree) to darken/dull things even more. Here's where we stand thus far:
View attachment 615221View attachment 615220
I still haven't tapped the threads for the mystery chunk yet. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous to do it, but I WILL summon the courage :cool
baaaahhh i was nervous too, just double check everything. i used this photo courtesy of trooper trent!

attachment.php

Thanks for the reference! It looks as though if you like up the cone knob in between the 2 pommel cubes, the mystery chunk is sort of diagonally in line between the cone and the left-most cube. Did you use a drill press or hand drill to do a guide hole before tapping the threads?

exactly, i lined my v2 up just like the photo and examined it many times. with the v2 right there in front of my computer screen. first thing i did once i found my desired location of pommel cube to cone knob ratio. i took a small chisel and made a mark on the seam line where the pommel meets the hilt. this way now i can disassemble it and re align it with ease just by lining up the chisel mark.

all my battery pack power tools are dewalt. the dewalt 20v have a flat bottom to the battery pack. i made a jig out of some extra 2x4 for the pommel to sit flat in. trust me it was very primitive, i just notched out a u shapedhole tight enough for the pommel to fit in. so now the pommel is flat in the 2x4 jig and flat on my work bench. i used a automatic center punch to punch my mark where i want it. then marked the center punch dent with a sharpie. since the battery pack is flat, i put the drills battery pack on the wall and used the wall to keep my drill at 90*

i drilled with a 1/16" drill bit as a pilot hole VERY slow. then i drilled with a 13/64th drill bit. then i slowly tapped it with a 1/4"-20 NC tap. being sure to do a 1/4 turn of the tap wrench, then back out, then turn it again until it gets hard to turn, then back it all the way out. it seems once the tap gets tight, i could get a 1/4 turn each time. i continue this method until i can see the tip of the tap just reach the opening inside the pommel. i installed the mystery chuck, and if all the threads are inside the pommel, great, if not just hit it a few more times with the tap until the mystery chunk sits flat

dont be overwhelmed, i went waaaay too much into detail. its easy, allot of guys didnt even tap the hole, they used the mystery chuck to make its own threads.

Well, put me in the "can't use the bearing" group. The closer the rod & bearing got to being seated, the more obvious it was that the hole was off center. No worries though, I had a shaft collar, that once board out, worked great. Anyway, the emitter won't "spin", but it will still turn just fine.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

& here it is next to its brothers
image.jpeg
Next, I'll be distressing it a bit (I will drive 1 or 2 nails with it - in soft wood), & then painting will begin. I can't wait for Roman to finish his GRAFLEX clamps!
Oh! & I'll need to drill & tap for the mystery chunk. Thank you PoopaPapaPalps! You are awesome!!!

Well, put me in the "can't use the bearing" group. The closer the rod & bearing got to being seated, the more obvious it was that the hole was off center. No worries though, I had a shaft collar, that once board out, worked great. Anyway, the emitter won't "spin", but it will still turn just fine.
View attachment 615674
View attachment 615675

& here it is next to its brothers
View attachment 615676
Next, I'll be distressing it a bit (I will drive 1 or 2 nails with it - in soft wood), & then painting will begin. I can't wait for Roman to finish his GRAFLEX clamps!
Oh! & I'll need to drill & tap for the mystery chunk. Thank you PoopaPapaPalps! You are awesome!!!

nice collection!!

exactly, i lined my v2 up just like the photo and examined it many times. with the v2 right there in front of my computer screen. first thing i did once i found my desired location of pommel cube to cone knob ratio. i took a small chisel and made a mark on the seam line where the pommel meets the hilt. this way now i can disassemble it and re align it with ease just by lining up the chisel mark.

all my battery pack power tools are dewalt. the dewalt 20v have a flat bottom to the battery pack. i made a jig out of some extra 2x4 for the pommel to sit flat in. trust me it was very primitive, i just notched out a u shapedhole tight enough for the pommel to fit in. so now the pommel is flat in the 2x4 jig and flat on my work bench. i used a automatic center punch to punch my mark where i want it. then marked the center punch dent with a sharpie. since the battery pack is flat, i put the drills battery pack on the wall and used the wall to keep my drill at 90*

i drilled with a 1/16" drill bit as a pilot hole VERY slow. then i drilled with a 13/64th drill bit. then i slowly tapped it with a 1/4"-20 NC tap. being sure to do a 1/4 turn of the tap wrench, then back out, then turn it again until it gets hard to turn, then back it all the way out. it seems once the tap gets tight, i could get a 1/4 turn each time. i continue this method until i can see the tip of the tap just reach the opening inside the pommel. i installed the mystery chuck, and if all the threads are inside the pommel, great, if not just hit it a few more times with the tap until the mystery chunk sits flat

dont be overwhelmed, i went waaaay too much into detail. its easy, allot of guys didnt even tap the hole, they used the mystery chuck to make its own threads.
I invested in a dewalt tap and die set (already had the cordless drill) and followed your method pretty much to a T and here are the results:
IMG_1166.JPGIMG_1168.JPGIMG_1169.JPG

It really wasn't that difficult and now I can add another skill to my skillset :cool. My fiance and I were both super stoked at how clean the threads came out. Thanks for the advice!

I invested in a dewalt tap and die set (already had the cordless drill) and followed your method pretty much to a T and here are the results:
View attachment 616146View attachment 616147View attachment 616148

It really wasn't that difficult and now I can add another skill to my skillset :cool. My fiance and I were both super stoked at how clean the threads came out. Thanks for the advice!

awesome!! I'm glad u could help! I think your mystery chunk matches perfectly!

View attachment 616146View attachment 616147View attachment 616148

Oh man, that looks great! :cheers
This will be my new project for the weekend.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back