Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber show-off thread

Thanks guys! The masking fluid can be tricky to use on something like smooth metal. It takes some getting used to. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking to replicate every shape of the weathering perfectly... it just won't cooperate enough. That being said, the end result looks so much like real chipping paint, you just have to know what to expect.

Some parts of my saber are done this way (emitter, rings/body, all the corners/edges). Basically I just made crude stencils myself for the areas that were flat cylinders.

It´s often used by kit modellers, they handle tasks that are (due to smaller scales) often much more difficile than what prop builders are confronted with.

Readily available templates are great, but usually you get "one of a dozen" results only, nothing bad with that but working with masking fluid (while it needs more patience and practice) can bring much more impressive (and individual) results.

I tried some in painting my creepy uncle and it was infuriating. Honestly, rubber cement would have worked better on metal I think.

Yes, its a liquid latex originally intended for masking parts of a canvas when painting. I first used it following a tutorial for painting my Boba Fett helmet, which it work fabulously on. But that was porous resin/plastic, which it stuck very well to, and I was able to follow the drawn on lines very easily. On this shiny metal, it very much wanted to bead up and stick to itself more than the surface. Very much a lesson in patience.

As I said, if I were going for less accurate, but more random and genuine looking, I'd do it again.

when you guys are saying "masking fluid" are you referring to something like liquid latex?

Hey - do I get to show off too? (Solo's Hold).

DSC08704.JPG
DSC08703.JPG
DSC08700.JPG
DSC08686.JPG

Sorry to tell you but Solo's hold V2's are supplied unpainted & have no blade. I painted this one & made the reflective blade. The red bit has photographed a bit too red , it's red iron oxide primer that I sanded back to once I'd sprayed the black. This isn't a 'copy' of any screen seen one either, just how I wanted it. Thanks for the ego boost.

Last edited:
Can we say "late to the party"? I wanted to show this off while it was still relevant. I am signed up for the new run, and will make every attempt to make that saber as 100% screen accurate as possible. Once I had signed up for the new one, I took accuracy on this a little less seriously and just had fun and instant gratification. You can see in the third pic, where I used masking fluid instead of a "stencil", and just eyeballed shapes from photos. While the shaping may not be very accurate, you can see how genuine the paint chipping comes out looking this way.

View attachment 794577View attachment 794578View attachment 794579

Nice work.Love it.

Still have a V2 kit from years ago...and the roman clamp and card(not on the pic)+the first version of Trents stencils.The question is..stencils or latex or both?:unsure:

35272096gy.jpg

Hi I’m new to the forum. Can someone tell me why this is called Anakin Skykiller?
Isn’t this Luke Skywalker’s ROTJ V2 Lightsaber?

Nice work.Love it.

Still have a V2 kit from years ago...and the roman clamp and card(not on the pic)+the first version of Trents stencils.The question is..stencils or latex or both?:unsure:

View attachment 999552
If it’s the old stencils I would suggest getting the new ones they have so much more detail in them. The old ones were don’t when all we had for reference was the Celebration panel photos.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back