Vader's MPP shroud (update)

Re: Vader's MPP shroud

You are correct... there were three Vader lightsabers for each of the three movies - four if you count the holiday special lightsaber ;-)

But the thing to point out first is that none of the Vaders were made from Heilands, the Vader sabers used in ANH and ESB were made from M.P.P. Microflash units. But, the Heiland is a close approximation to the MPP and is a) easier to find and b) a heck of a lot cheaper to buy when/if you find one generally speaking.

The Vader ROTJ lightsaber is made from a bastardized Graflex...

i just learned this the other night scrolling threw threads, i found stills of vader throwing the saber at luke, you werent kidding it was really hacked together. i am a huge ESB fan, and building many of my SW props referring to ESB. is there any good info on vaders ESB saber?

we need roy to make some MPP oval name tags for the heilands!

i just learned this the other night scrolling threw threads, i found stills of vader throwing the saber at luke, you werent kidding it was really hacked together. i am a huge ESB fan, and building many of my SW props referring to ESB. is there any good info on vaders ESB saber?

we need roy to make some MPP oval name tags for the heilands!

I would think the oval tags are gone by the movies... IF not, there are a lot of people torturing themselves about taking it off for nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

I beg to differ...

http://www.partsofsw.com/dvjedsab.htm

Nevermind...you learn something new everyday!

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1116508/

This has always been hard for me since the ROTJ MOM Vader is my favorite next to Obi, yet doesn't appear to have actually seen any screen time.

Ah well.

I would think the oval tags are gone by the movies... IF not, there are a lot of people torturing themselves about taking it off for nothing.

your right i just read on partsofsw.com they removed the tag!

You can see the Graflex saber when Luke hacks Vader's hand off. Also, the saber Vader throws at Luke is Graflex based (and upside down! The blade is coming out of the grip end hahaha). That one *might* be the ROTJ Vader saber, but I'd have to double check my screenshots to be sure.

You can see the Graflex saber when Luke hacks Vader's hand off. Also, the saber Vader throws at Luke is Graflex based (and upside down! The blade is coming out of the grip end hahaha). That one *might* be the ROTJ Vader saber, but I'd have to double check my screenshots to be sure.

you are correct lol!! Never noticed that before...

thrownrotjvadersaber.jpg

I just got a Heiland 3 cell off eBay (is on its way now). Only to learn now, that is actually NOT a Heiland that was used in the movies?! :eek
Geez, I thought I was doing good at starting a build.
Well now I'm enjoying my newest piece from CSS even more.... & I can't bring myself to remove the name plate.
2015-08-13 11.52.36.jpg

Still doing good. Heiland is a perfectly good sub if you don't want to fork out close to 1000 bucks.

I just wish my heiland had the round port holes.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've seen auction pics of that, and it looks more like a resin cast or something... it's weird looking.

If it was the graflex, there'd be the black hex screws in the top half....

oh my god i didnt catch that either!! thats a editing issue for sure!! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Still doing good. Heiland is a perfectly good sub if you don't want to fork out close to 1000 bucks.

anything else to look for when hunting heilands?

oh my god i didnt catch that either!! thats a editing issue for sure!! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

anything else to look for when hunting heilands?

Well I keep running across two kinds...

There's the square portholes with an endcap that looks closer to an MPP...

And there's round portholes with an endcap that is an octagon (I think)... but not as close.

A mix of the two would be good.

I just can't get myself to spend another 60 USD (which is like a million Canadian) just for rounded portholes.

Well I keep running across two kinds...

There's the square portholes with an endcap that looks closer to an MPP...

And there's round portholes with an endcap that is an octagon (I think)... but not as close.

A mix of the two would be good.

I just can't get myself to spend another 60 USD (which is like a million Canadian) just for rounded portholes.

so the end caps are interchangeable?

Darth-Vader-Return-of-the-Jedi-Lightsaber-Profiles-in-History-Hollywood-Auction-40.jpg

I think this may have been what was thrown, or what was in his hand while being bashed on by Luke...

or that's the Barbican saber...

These ugly-ass sabers... I can't keep them straight, but I love them.

- - - Updated - - -

Believe so. Don't hold me to that though!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've seen auction pics of that, and it looks more like a resin cast or something... it's weird looking.

If it was the graflex, there'd be the black hex screws in the top half....

Now that I look at the screens, I think that might be the ANH Luke stunt saber. The clamp is black (probably gaffer tape), and it looks like some black is painted near the emitter end, but there aren't any visible hex set screws. You can see it in this vid [video]https://youtu.be/JWAniYowdeA?t=46[/video]

I found a Heiland 3 cell in an antique mall a little while back for $12 and bought it. It has the wrong end cap on it and it's fairly scratched up. I've been thinking about trying to remove the scratches or just leave it as is for a weathered look.

The things to look for in the end cap are it should have a black circle (or octaganal) center that has female threading so the flash can be mounted with a screw in the bottom. Also the number (I do not know the correct number) of threading that is visible from the outside where the end cap attaches to the body is important, there are several that don't have threads at all.

This image is one that I found on ebay that is similar to what to look for. I have no idea if the end caps are interchangeable. The center of this could be painted black.

pic_2903.jpg

This one has no outside visible threading.

$_57.JPG

Yes they are. I got a Heiland two weeks ago (square holes :( ) with a 'Sol' endcap.
Though there is no mounting thread in the endcap I bought it because of the knurled edge of the endcap. It looks much closer than the octagon/hexagon endcaps.

Could post a picture later if there is interest.

This is my Heiland. It's an oval-hole version which had the octagonal endcap (with no outside visible threading)
The shroud is a resin cast from an MPP (I still haven't found the courage to try and drill the resin in order to install a proper D-ring)
The bakelite (or whatever it is) bulb release greeblie had to be relocated. That's one of the points where MPP and Heiland differ.

The clamp assembly is from BlastTech, as is the T-track. Finally, the current encap is a correct round-with-knurled-edge type, but a central hole cannibalzed from my octagonal one.

uploadfromtaptalk1440225807810.jpg

I beg to differ...

http://www.partsofsw.com/dvjedsab.htm

Nevermind...you learn something new everyday!

http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1116508/

Indeed you do. Wasn't long ago when I still thought Vader's mask was just black. There is a lot more than meets the eye :p

There's even a place in ANH where Obi-Wan uses a red lightsaber and Vader uses a blue :lol

Yes they are. I got a Heiland two weeks ago (square holes :( ) with a 'Sol' endcap.
Though there is no mounting thread in the endcap I bought it because of the knurled edge of the endcap. It looks much closer than the octagon/hexagon endcaps.

Could post a picture later if there is interest.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440234505.558172.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1440234533.115238.jpg

Mine is a "Sol" end cap too (with the square holes). As it's on the bottom end I'm not massively anal about it and quite the look of the sides of it. (Grips will go over end cap eventually, originally placed them above as was intending on doing some electronics but that's not been put to bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice conversation going in this thread!

Did someone mention the differences on the bulb/emitter side? The correct version should have the elliptical spring inside and a hexagonal bolt in the center.

Any new news on the shrouds?

Not much news. The shrouds are all machined and ready for painting. The accurate screws are also done. I'll try to finish a few next week and post a picture then. I still need to arrange the bulb release castings. Busy busy.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back