GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Saw this online, thought some here would appreciate a slight off topic post.

the FIRST proton pack. notice the date.
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=4bd6d497b47d495475c6577aa12a0b61&oe=57AE8BD7
It's a great shot, but man... if you gave half the effort of keeping up with classic GB as you do for things to complain about with the reboot, you would know that this shot has been out for years. There's so much coolness out there if you wouldn't just focus on the negative.

It's also worth mentioning that Stephen Dane passed away this week. Stephen was Hardware Consultant and designer of the proton packs, ghost trap, as well as Ecto-1 and 1A. He also seemed like a GENUINELY cool, nice, positive fellow.

Here's a great video and interview with Stephen (also the source of the above photo). http://beyondthemarquee.com/34980

Last edited:
It's a great shot, but man... if you gave half the effort of keeping up with classic GB as you do for things to complain about with the reboot, you would know that this shot has been out for years. There's so much coolness out there if you wouldn't just focus on the negative.

It's also worth mentioning that Stephen Dane passed away this week. Stephen was Hardware Consultant and designer of the proton packs, ghost trap, as well as Ecto-1 and 1A. He also seemed like a GENUINELY cool, nice, positive fellow.

Here's a great video and interview with Stephen (also the source of the above photo). http://beyondthemarquee.com/34980

This strikes me as a troll post. Why even say that negative stuff? :facepalm NeilT didnt even say anything negative, he was just showing a picture.

This strikes me as a troll post. Why even say that negative stuff? :facepalm NeilT didnt even say anything negative, he was just showing a picture.
If so, it's the most caring, helpful troll post I've ever seen! :confused

Neil is obviously a passionate GB fan, as shown by his countless posts in this thread, as well as the time spent researching the reboot. I'm simply pointing out to him (as well as linking) that there's a LOT he obviously hasn't seen from the original films that might interest him, entertain him, inspire him--- rather than focusing on things he finds negative about the reboot. I'm assuming we're all adults here, of course. ;)

...and this is a prop forum. I haven't seen any mention of Dane's passing-- the guy primarily responsible for the primary props replicated from the films. I'm shocked I'm having to explain myself, actually.

This thread makes me feel like I took crazy pills! ...which leads me to a perfect segue back on topic-- GB16 merch is hitting shelves!

image_3.jpeg

In this world of millenial thinking, even if you aren't one, your opinion isn't allowed to differ form the crowd. we're all supposd to think alike like drones ;o).
I post something nice, and apparently I was supposed to notice it three years ago like everyone else. smh.

It's best to ignore him like i do. it's much healthier ;o).

In this world of millenial thinking, even if you aren't one, your opinion isn't allowed to differ form the crowd. we're all supposd to think alike like drones ;o).
I post something nice, and apparently I was supposed to notice it three years ago like everyone else. smh.

It's best to ignore him like i do. it's much healthier ;o).

Not only that, but he even mentioned before that you ignore him, and he knows it, so why bother saying that?
d_osborn - Yes. We are. But considering you and I both have cartoons/comic/video game references as our avatars, and posting on a prop forum, we are nerdy. That being said, sometimes nerds have that need of feeling superior people for one reason or another. It wasnt you explaining about Dane's passing, it was the snarky vibe I got from the first sentence of your post. But hey, maybe I just read into knowing you guys have beef. No big deal. *shrug*

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasnt you explaining about Dane's passing, it was the snarky vibe I got from the first sentence of your post. But hey, maybe I just read into knowing you guys have beef. No big deal. *shrug*

I've learned it's not healthy to have a beef with anyone... just like it's not healthy to deal with supporters of this mess... and i've come in to contact with too many who exhibit the same patterns. Even I've had a lapse of falling into that trap, only because I thought I was being mocked and opinions ignored.

I told you someone would make it all about me within ten pages again ;o). It's a pattern with some supporters that like to turn it back on the people who hate it.
And I think I need a hobby ;o)..

maybe this thread should be locked until july ;o).. it just can't be discussed civily anymore.

Not only that, but he even mentioned before that you ignore him, and he knows it, so why bother saying that?
I was actually hoping someone would quote me in the conversation and he would see it. Thanks, btw! Quote this one, too, if you don't mind. :cool

But considering you and I both have cartoons/comic/video game references as our avatars, and posting on a prop forum, we are nerdy. That being said, sometimes nerds have that need of feeling superior people for one reason or another. It wasnt you explaining about Dane's passing, it was the snarky vibe I got from the first sentence of your post. But hey, maybe I just read into knowing you guys have beef. No big deal. *shrug*
Oh, there was DEFINITELY snark there. Just because there's a layer of snark in a comment doesn't mean any sort of disrespect or hatefulness. This thread is FULL of snark-- it makes for fun conversation! Good, old-fashioned wit! I don't think we should have to walk on egg shells here. I may have been pretty blunt at times, but my level of snark doesn't exactly require a thick skin.

Like the old saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. With Neil posting seemingly endless hate-fueled diatribes against the GB reboot as a resident expert, I tend (easily) to poke holes in his logic and call him out on various things. I guess he doesn't like that, hence him putting me on the "ignore" list rather than continue discussions. I wouldn't even call that a beef, but rather point-counter-point conversation. In all honesty, I wasn't trying to make him feel inferior-- quite the opposite! Most of the time, my comments on this thread are to try to illustrate the opposing viewpoint (not change opinion, mind you).

I'm pretty sure I've even seen Neil post here about the overly PC, easily-offended nature of our culture now. Surely I'm not the only one that sees the irony there. Especially in the grand scheme of online conversations centered around the GB reboot-- this thread has been VERRYYYYYYYY tame. If you dish it out, be prepared to take it. :love

What's funny is that I'm not even really a supporter of thing-- I'm just holding judgement until I see the it, and trying to enjoy the anticipation. It is only a movie, after all.

I've learned it's not healthy to have a beef with anyone... just like it's not healthy to deal with supporters of this mess... and i've come in to contact with too many who exhibit the same patterns. Even I've had a lapse of falling into that trap, only because I thought I was being mocked and opinions ignored.

I told you someone would make it all about me within ten pages again ;o). It's a pattern with some supporters that like to turn it back on the people who hate it.
And I think I need a hobby ;o)..

maybe this thread should be locked until july ;o).. it just can't be discussed civily anymore.
I figured civility in this thread went out the window when you started making fun of crew member's names? ;o)

I don't think this thread needs to be locked at all. Things are just starting to kick in gear regarding the GB reboot!

...and speaking of the topic at hand, here's a new shot of Kevin's makeshift jumpsuit. I'm loving the logo! It reminds me of Halloween 1987.

13102813_1175454599140016_4952425454839386799_n.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/sigourney-weaver-returns-dead-ghostbusters-article-1.2635262

I literally cried out, NOOOOOOO!!!!, that the musical number might be cut. something tells me even cutting that won't save it...
I wonder if the Bill and Anita scene at a video game arcade is true, if it's 'raising eyebrows'.

I don't want them to cut out the bad stuff...it might be one of those 'so bad it's good' mystery science theater hits. but if you cut out the bad stuff, what's left?
worse stuff?

It makes me wonder if the movie will be shelved all together? I bet there is talk within the studio to start over again. Kinda sad when you think about it.

if that report is true, at this point i wonder if sony would be smart enough to eat it and not damage the brand further.

But, with the idiots in charge there, i doubt they'd be smart enough to do it right a second time.

sadly, this will probably still come out.

it's a shame disney can't buy it. imagine a marvel writer ghost buster movie?

There is, let's be clear, ZERO chance that this project will be shelved. The marketing wheels are already in motion. You have the trailers, you also have the merchandise rolling off the factory floors.

Now, what you might see is a kind of "disowning" of the project by the studio, but I REALLY doubt that they're gonna shelve it and go back to the drawing board.

The edits are one thing. Kristen Wiig's comment about the admittedly confusing trailer has more to do with the company that cut and prepped the trailer and the exec who okayed it than anything else.

That said, this kind of rumbling might signify a weaker debut, and one SOMEWHAT closer to Fantastic Four, although still nowhere near as bad as that.

I agree, the box office on this thing won't be Fantastic Four bad. It might even be decent.

The protest for this GB reboot is louder than it is wide. There are still lots of people who basically reacted well to the movie idea on paper and want it to be good.

I don't think F4 had as much positive interest in the first place. If the IP rights were not at stake then the recent F4 movie probably wouldn't have been made. Maybe not any of the previous F4 movies for that matter.

I agree, the box office on this thing won't be Fantastic Four bad. It might even be decent.

I agree.

sadly, there is still enough casual love for the brand for this to have at least a decent opening weekend. But, like BvS, it'll be the second weekend that'll be interesting to watch.
I'm not an expert on fantastic four, but one of these days I will have to watch that movie and see if it's really as bad as people say it is.

I think unlike FF this film has only the original movies to go on-this first movie I think will do okay the first week and start a supersonic dart to the dirt the next and then fade....IF they do a second that's when it'll be a horror show of fail.

For now only the fans are PO in a major fashion,the question is will the public like it,hate it,or dismiss it? and I.....don't have any fate in the public at large.

*ETA*

McCarty's comments is telling in the exact way I said it:I don't know if ANYBODY knows what this is supposed to be,a remake? a retake? she says it's a remake so....at least she knows.

Again, the issue is with the trailer and the somewhat confusing language.

Remakes typically ignore the film they're remaking. They don't harken back to it. So, when a trailer starts with "30 years ago, four friends saved the world..." it makes it seem as if it's 30 years ago within the story. Not 30 years ago on your movie screens. The rest of it is just a garden variety remake.

Considering McCarthy's last movie where she was super rich didn't do well I'd like to see how this one does, maybe we'll be lucky and she'll be box office poison like Adam Sandler.

Considering McCarthy's last movie where she was super rich didn't do well I'd like to see how this one does, maybe we'll be lucky and she'll be box office poison like Adam Sandler.

I think the last sandler movie I liked was Click. after that, not so much.

Anyone have any idea how the toys are selling? Paid a visit to the local TRU just to see what was out there...and didn't spot them at all.
I would hope people would stay away from the reboot merchandise too..

Toy sales are an odd thing: they canceled like 4 lines of transformers ever since the first bay movie to make room for the movie toys and they barely moved once the kids saw how complicated they were. Every time i was in the area looking at them it was adult collectors digging around in them.

I guess adults appreciate toys more than kids do these days?
Aren't kids supposed to be more into video games?;o)

You know, I just got a huge laugh just now.

Some people in hollywood, I think, are sucking up to ivan reitman and paul feig just to get an in to the ghostbusters franchise. or are two afraid of alienating someone for fear of loosing future work. I can understand that motivation. you swallow your pride for one movie in the hopes it leads to official, bigger and better events.

This one kid I know loosley online is a true blue ghostbusters fan. although he's also one of those people who will like anything with a ghostbusters logo on it, regardless of quality. he and i recently got into an online tussle about paul feig movies, saying that if I havn't actually seen one, I can't judge them. and my opinion of the trailer means nothing. since he and feig are apparently good buddies now that feig is associated with ghostbusters (willing to bet he could have cared less before that), that's when I decided to check out spy. 5 aborted attempts to get through it, and finishing it later, my opinion of feig as a man hater and bad filmaker stand, and my prediction of bad vibes for movies from the trailer stays in tact.

I've cut off contact with him since, since even though he is one of the few who will try to use logic rather than hate to defend this movie, I think he's also the type who won't take your negative opinion and will try to convince you until the day they die that it's good. dealing with those kind of people isn't healthy for me ;o).

Anyway, I just saw that he's finally found his way in on the ghostbusters franchise helping out with things.

sometimes it's the oddest of oddities that get a laugh out of life experiences ;o) but at least one of the good people got to a place where they always wanted to be, even if we don't see eye to eye on some things ;o).

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back