GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

Yeah, it actually probably has more to do with the groups you're part of, the stuff you like, and what you comment on. But I also would bet that there are some cookies that Facebook uses to track your online activity generally.

I wouldnt even call that an article, I would say it was a Feig-fan boy defense. They didnt even quote anything anyone said, so there is no context of the article. Would Melissa Mcarthy be as funny if she wasnt fat? Look what happened to Jonah hill and Seth Rogan, their whole thing was based on them being fat, they lost weight, didnt get roles, got fat, got relevant again.

Would Melissa Mcarthy be as funny if she wasnt fat? Look what happened to Jonah hill and Seth Rogan, their whole thing was based on them being fat, they lost weight, didnt get roles, got fat, got relevant again.

Er...wut?

Wow all these people that hate the movie sure are reaching at this point.

Unaffiliated person that writes a hate article gets praised for telling the true.

Unaffiliated person that writes a non-hate article gets accused of taking money under the table from shadowy men in black.

Er...wut?

Unaffiliated person that writes a hate article gets praised for telling the true.

Unaffiliated person that writes a non-hate article gets accused of taking money under the table from shadowy men in black.

So, you think that article is non hate?

I guess lumping all the fans into 'manchildren' as it claims, is perfectly fine. some of the comments below that article I read are also kind of disturbing by the people who support this movie...i'd repost some, but it would violate this threads TOS.

There are very easy ways to tell which articles are, if not sony sponsored, lean very easily into the hollywood world, and are afraid to speak the truth about this movie for fear of loosing access to other films. I can't imagine so many people truly thinking like how these articles read. quite frankly, I think supporters of this dreck are reaching at straws too, especially after that kevin vignette.....

Fans against this movie have been bashed for having 'nostalgic blinds'.....bashed for not being millennial supportive....bashed for not knowing what comedy is....bashed by the sony ceos like tom rothman with F bombs. Bashed by the director....bashed by some of the cast. and he wonders why fans are angry at this point? oh, we've also been ignored, when we said this was a bad idea from day one, knowing the kind of un funny animal house like raunchy movies that feig produces. If this fails,his career will be rail roaded a bit, and he's not helping it at this point.

We could have had a movie with female heroes that brought EVERYONE on board with good will and could spread to the next generation. look at star wars. instead, it's been a hate campaign from the very start....designed by sony.

While I don't approve of some of the more vitrolic hate that i've seen out there (don't browse imdb for fun), I think feig deserves to be made fun of every step of the way. the only ones I'm willing to give a litte b it of a break to are the cast. as annoying as I see mcarthy, at least I think she's coming from a place of good will still. feig and leslie jones, not so much.

Honestly, i've never seen a frag storm quite like this one attached to a movie. there is no middle road. you are either blindly for it, or blindly against it.

Last edited:
So, you think that article is non hate?

I guess lumping all the fans into 'manchildren' as it claims, is perfectly fine. some of the comments below that article I read are also kind of disturbing by the people who support this movie...i'd repost some, but it would violate this threads TOS.

There are very easy ways to tell which articles are, if not sony sponsored, lean very easily into the hollywood world, and are afraid to speak the truth about this movie for fear of loosing access to other films. I can't imagine so many people truly thinking like how these articles read. quite frankly, I think supporters of this dreck are reaching at straws too, especially after that kevin vignette.....

Fans of this movie have been bashed for having 'nostalgic blinds'.....bashed for not being millennial supportive....bashed for not knowing what comedy is....bashed by the sony ceos like tom rothman with F bombs. Bashed by the director....bashed by some of the cast. and he wonders why fans are angry at this point? oh, we've also been ignored, when we said this was a bad idea from day one, knowing the kind of un funny animal house like raunchy movies that feig produces. If this fails,his career will be rail roaded a bit, and he's not helping it at this point.

We could have had a movie with female heroes that brought EVERYONE on board with good will and could spread to the next generation. look at star wars. instead, it's been a hate campaign from the very start....designed by sony.

While I don't approve of some of the more vitrolic hate that i've seen out there (don't browse imdb for fun), I think feig deserves to be made fun of every step of the way. the only ones I'm willing to give a litte b it of a break to are the cast. as annoying as I see mcarthy, at least I think she's coming from a place of good will still. feig and leslie jones, not so much.

Honestly, i've never seen a frag storm quite like this one attached to a movie. there is no middle road. you are either blindly for it, or blindly against it.

add on edit, don't click on that link above. I guess I should hav eknown it wasn't thread appropriate by the text in it, but I did it anyway. not sure where it took me too since it was in another language, but I reported it. sigh.. too early to be browsing the net.

Here's what I don't get with Fig Newton and anybody else attacking the fan base:yea sure your film could be wildly successful,yes you could do this with a whole new set of people liking the film but........

Why **** off the older fans? this is an older franchise and even if you had them irritated over some of the project if you reach out to them and work stuff over you could blow the doors off with the movie,hell even if you got them to grudgingly accept your take on it you could do more better and come out smelling like a rose.

At the moment the guy is going all kamikaze with this project and it feels like he's gonna shoot his foot off with this and is going to have a bad rep from here out and that....makes no sense.

Er...wut?

Reaching? How are they reaching? Apparently if you have any sort of negative thing to say about this film it makes you in to some kind of bigot. If youre talking about my "fat"comment, what do you not understand? A lot of fat comedians have that schtick as their gimmick. Farley, Mcarthy, Hill, Rogan, Im sure there are others. Why do you think Fred Flintstone, Homer, Peter Griffin etc are fat? Its funnier that way, and unfortunately in todays society it also correlates to them being stupid. Fat and stupid are usually funny. Thats what Im saying, would people think Mcarthy would still be funny if she was skinny? Like how Kristin Wiig's humor is dry, she doesnt do any spectacle type stuff. Thats all Im saying.

And how can you say it wasnt a "non-hate" article? The guy flat out insults anyone that has a negative opionion on this movie. NeilT summed it up better than I could.

I think my main issue with this movie is that it seems like a *perfect* metaphor for how modern studio movies are greenlit - all the movies I loved as a kid, including GB 1 were greenlit because someone creative had a good idea - and now movies are greenlit by marketing departments, business affairs, brand managers, accounting, and focus groups.

Great post Willie.

Nailed it.

I think my main issue with this movie is that it seems like a *perfect* metaphor for how modern studio movies are greenlit - all the movies I loved as a kid, including GB 1 were greenlit because someone creative had a good idea - and now movies are greenlit by marketing departments, business affairs, brand managers, accounting, and focus groups.

no one wants to take chances on new ideas anymore. it's too risky. people want established franchises.
Hence why the HAna Barrbara franchises are going to get their own shared cinematic universe now. smh.
No one gets the point that the reason it worked at marvel is, 1-they planned it really, really well. 2- they gave every character a chance (well, minus black widow). 3- it was built for it.
I don't need to see a scooby doo, fred flinstone team up episode.

The fan bashing articles are starting to heat up now. I wish I could turn off facebook trending just to try and get away from them ;o) It's like a train wreck seeing how bad they can get!

- - - Updated - - -

At the moment the guy is going all kamikaze with this project and it feels like he's gonna shoot his foot off with this and is going to have a bad rep from here out and that....makes no sense.

Nothing about this whole mess does. I'm not only amazed that no one at sony could have been smart enough to see the writing on the wall as soon as the idea happened....but that the fans can't see why this is bad for the franchise as a whole, and not worth it just to get another movie out. I'm perfectly fine with the two we already have and the 200 episodes of animated series. I'm willing to wait another 30 years for quality.

It'd be nice if we could all band together in the 'hate' and unite as a fandom. and by hate, i mean trashing the movie to bits like it deserves.

no one wants to take chances on new ideas anymore. it's too risky. people want established franchises.
Hence why the HAna Barrbara franchises are going to get their own shared cinematic universe now. smh.
No one gets the point that the reason it worked at marvel is, 1-they planned it really, really well. 2- they gave every character a chance (well, minus black widow). 3- it was built for it.
I don't need to see a scooby doo, fred flinstone team up episode.

The fan bashing articles are starting to heat up now. I wish I could turn off facebook trending just to try and get away from them ;o) It's like a train wreck seeing how bad they can get!

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing about this whole mess does. I'm not only amazed that no one at sony could have been smart enough to see the writing on the wall as soon as the idea happened....but that the fans can't see why this is bad for the franchise as a whole, and not worth it just to get another movie out. I'm perfectly fine with the two we already have and the 200 episodes of animated series. I'm willing to wait another 30 years for quality.

It'd be nice if we could all band together in the 'hate' and unite as a fandom. and by hate, i mean trashing the movie to bits like it deserves.

Amen? :p

Or even better, invent a time machine and stop the mess from happening in the first place :D
And a few others while we are at it.

No fandoms manage to come together, they're always torn apart whether gaming or movies. The Transformers Fandom is a very viscous one and literally tends to be generational with the younger fans bashing all the series that's older than them. It's just how fandoms are so I'm not surprised this movie has folks turning on each other. I agree with the time machine, I already got a long list of things to fix.

I think the thing I find most amazing is both Fig Newton's arrogance and the fact that the studio doesn't realize that he could be hurting them and they aren't trying to tone it down I mean even if they know the movie is going to bomb just ride it out and try to do something that'll make money.

Instead they seem to be oblivious to the start of WWIII in their lap,so the whole thing is just odd.

I think the thing I find most amazing is both Fig Newton's arrogance and the fact that the studio doesn't realize that he could be hurting them and they aren't trying to tone it down I mean even if they know the movie is going to bomb just ride it out and try to do something that'll make money.

Instead they seem to be oblivious to the start of WWIII in their lap,so the whole thing is just odd.

Actually, I think they're pretty aware of what's going on. I think the media has also fed into this somewhat. But, overall, the general belief is that the "anti-Ghostbusters" folks are embittered sexists who want the franchise returned to a stale boys' club. Therefore, they're generally dismissed. I don't think that part is an entirely accurate characterization, although it's certainly true that a VERY vocal part of the anti-Ghostbusters people ARE sexist a-holes.

More to the point, though, I think the pervasive view among Hollywood studios is that franchise fans will almost always show up. Whether it's out of pure curiosity, or to hate-watch, or because they'll swallow anything with the logo on it, fans of any given franchise -- for all that they might fuss about it before release and even after -- will still show up. And if they don't, well, who cares?

They aren't the target audience.

There's this attitude among fans that they kind of "own" the properties of which they're fans. I can understand it to some degree...but it's just flat-out wrong. Franchises nowadays are NOT made for the hardcore fans. Those people are a bonus to the studio. They help make the brand more reliable. But the fan dollars? Not critical to the success of the film itself. Ergo, those fans can generally be ignored.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back