GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

in other news, james the 'angry video game nerd' is my new hero. I can't believe all these social justice warrior millennial man baby articles coming out denouncing him as evil simply for stating the truth. god I hate constantly on social media sometimes ;o).

Im really at a loss for words at how bad this movie is going to be. You know that scene in billy madison towards the end where he and the other guy are answering questions and billy comes off with this long winded answer regarding the puppy who lost his way? And the guy goes something like "we are all now dumber for having heard that, may god have mercy on your soul"? I feel like that. And the fact that people think, in anyway, that tripe is "better" than the first one? :facepalm

I actually like that trailer. Much better than the 1st one. :)

Youre kidding right? Unless youre not! Quick! Someone get to Wendell, NC and save Karmajay, he has a gas leak in his house! Thats the only logical explanation as to why you would like this trailer. :unsure

HAHA... oh man.

I am sometimes overly optimistic about flicks. I try to believe every movie has a chance to be a surprise and defy expectations.

That said... I heard the rumor... and it's true.

Rather than a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, it's the friggin logo that trashes the city.

The ghost from the actual logo...

So what do we think? Will it throw up a peace sign? (Ghostbusters 2 logo)

haha Good post but I'm fine. No I thought this was much better and the things that people on this page posted seemed much more interesting in the trailer. I also have not built of 40 pages of hate for the film. The ghost colors don't bother me, etc, etc. Now we see that "Kevin" probably built that motorcycle everyone was complaining about and it seems he gets possessed and turns into the big bad so that initial character won't be around all movie either.

haha Good post but I'm fine. No I thought this was much better and the things that people on this page posted seemed much more interesting in the trailer. I also have not built of 40 pages of hate for the film. The ghost colors don't bother me, etc, etc. Now we see that "Kevin" probably built that motorcycle everyone was complaining about and it seems he gets possessed and turns into the big bad so that initial character won't be around all movie either.

I know Im just teasing. And its not 40 my good man, its at 46 now. :lol The visuals, and the music, and the actors(except leslie jones, she bugs me) arent even whats missing the mark, its the forced "comedy" aspect, and nothing, NOTHING seems funny to me. At all. On any note. But whatever, the only thing I can do is not see it, so thats what Im doing. It just bothers me that people think that the only reason to not want to see this movie is because of women. Newsflash, Im a guy, I like women! It's stupid. :facepalm

I understand your point but most of the hate in the beginning before a lot of details or any shooting began WAS the fact that it had women main characters. I see most on here dislike it because of the visuals but their are plenty out there that place the blame on woman characters instead of its merits (or lack there of).

I'm sure that's old conversation anyway. I'm still undecided on seeing it at the theater but at least IMO it looks better.

Just for the record, I did NOT laugh or smile at that part.

Wait wait wait... maybe you're not getting the joke.

See she was trying to crowd surf... and the other girl did it successfully first... so that would lead her to believe she could do it as well.

Then she jumped off the stage, and the crowd moved.

You see the comedy comes from the expectation that they would catch her, but then didn't.

THEN, when she's on the ground, she says something about it being a woman thing or a black thing... which is funny cuz she is both those things (though it was just proven that there was a woman just crowd surfing, so it must be a black thing)

Maybe the joke would have been funnier if it was a "metal proton accelerator on my back or black thing"...

Or maybe funnier if she said "A 'Mean Girls' thing or an 'old comedy trope' thing"?

What would have been hilarious, is after she landed she should have said "HEY! I was trying to CROWD SURF!"

And then someone could say,

"OH! You were going to Crowd Surf!?! That's awesome! I love Crowd Surfing! I totally would have helped you crowd surf..."

(beat)

"What's a Crowd Surf?"

btw... I'm bored and being facetious.

I seriously didn't get any of the comedy? Do I not understand comedy anymore? Nothing landed. Nothing.

Nope. it's modern, over the top 'comedy'. the the attempts at jokes don't get you, the flashiness and brazeness will.

blame adam sandler, family guy and his ilk.

- - - Updated - - -

btw... I'm bored and being facetious.

one up on me...i'm just ....hup hup huubu dubba da (homer mode)...insane.. at this point ;o).

You see... She threw herself backwards off a stage... for people to catch her. But they moved.

After thinking about it, that whole crowd surfing "joke" is going to be an allegory for the movie itself. The movie(leslie jones) is going to fall on her back, and people are going to either blame it on being a race thing, or a woman thing. Which is almost the same thing because those two things cover every demographic. Not due to story telling, rehashed content, bad acting, bad writing/visuals or whatever. Its going to be that joke. Thats surprisingly meta. :lol

After thinking about it, that whole crowd surfing "joke" is going to be an allegory for the movie itself. The movie(leslie jones) is going to fall on her back, and people are going to either blame it on being a race thing, or a woman thing. Which is almost the same thing because those two things cover every demographic. Not due to story telling, rehashed content, bad acting, bad writing/visuals or whatever. Its going to be that joke. Thats surprisingly meta. :lol

Welp. There you have it. Totally Meta. Nailed it.

I understand your point but most of the hate in the beginning before a lot of details or any shooting began WAS the fact that it had women main characters. I see most on here dislike it because of the visuals but their are plenty out there that place the blame on woman characters instead of its merits (or lack there of).

I'm sure that's old conversation anyway. I'm still undecided on seeing it at the theater but at least IMO it looks better.

There were a mix of elements to the reaction of it all being women.

Some guys were genuinely annoyed because it was something being "taken away" from them. Some guys think women "arent' funny." I mean, there absolutely was a sexist response.

For me, it's less the fact that it's women, per se, and more that it struck me as just more lazy marketing that probably meant a mediocre end product. It'd be no different for me if they'd led with "AND it's all WHITE DUDES!!!" as the big announcement.

Essentially, the reliance on demographics-based marketing FIRST rather than on the strength of the story and comedy -- REGARDLESS of the demographic in question -- is the problem. If the new Ghostbusters had been "ALL 420-friendly!" or "ALL Asian!" or "ALL Cat-owners!" my response would be the same: you're relying on something OTHER than the strength of your story/comedy to sell your film, and that tells me right off the bat that I should be suspect about how good that story/comedy really is.

It also didn't help that this was announced as a reboot. Again, all that told me was that this was basically just a cash-in on the superficial aspects of this film (the demographics of the main cast, the use of the brand itself with no connection to the original product, etc.) that did not bode well for the actual content of the film.

Trailers have pretty much confirmed my expectations.

You see... She threw herself backwards off a stage... for people to catch her. But they moved.

Yeah, I didn't even laugh at that joke back in '94 when Jon Favreau did it in PCU. Or maybe it was Chris Farley. Whatever.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back