Ant-Man (Post-release)

Its not all about money, as most of the villains already have a lot of it.

Most of them have been slighted by the hero, or the heroes family, or the heroes mentor.

Its about revenge, the money is a bonus.

So my point, once again, Marvel: Consult with DC to learn how to make great villains!

DC's always been known for having more fleshed out villains than Marvel in the comics. However, very little of this translates on the silver screen. The only DC villains who've been portrayed incredibly well were both Jokers, in Ledger and Nicholson. Both Spacey and Hackman gave great performances as Lex but never portrayed him in a manner that did the source material justice. Neeson's Ra's al Ghul was good but not great. Mark Strong did fine as Sinestro but had very limited screen time and was being set up as a sequel villain. Seems to me that DC needs to get their own film villains sorted out before giving advice to Marvel, unless they're planning to include Leto's Joker in every single DCCU film after BvS (and the jury's still out on how good he'll be). Eisenberg's Luthor so far looks painfully bad, I wouldn't place much faith there at the moment.

For the MCU, I hope we haven't forgotten about Loki, he's clearly at the top of his game in villainy. Winter Soldier is a definite second, his scene presence in TWS sends chills. Beyond them it's definitely slim pickings, I'd say Red Skull and Blonsky/Abomination are a distant third and fourth. I agree that quality villains are lacking in the MCU but Marvel does seem to focus more on its heroes as they feel that's their strong suit. Hopefully the Phase 3 villains shape up better. I don't expect Crossbones and Zemo to have a lot of screen time in Civil War, but we do have Mordo, Dormammu, Thanos, and possibly Surtur to look forward to.

Last edited:
^ You're forgetting that Bucky was more victim than villain in TWS, even if he was Cap's primary physical adversary. HYDRA as an organization have been pretty effective villains, and Pierce, personally, was darned effective. He was trying to make the world a better place, but had been too long on the shady side and the whole ends and means thing had been eroded away. Not sure when he was compromised by/inducted into HYDRA, but I'm betting almost losing his daughter was the beginning of his fall.

Likewise the other big stringpullers -- Thanos and the Mandarin, neither of whom we've seen in action yet. The Mandarin's motives are still obscure, at best. And Thanos... Well, he just wants the power to kill the universe as a present to Death, whom he's been in love with for ages, unrequited. He's hoping to impress Her. Their respective minions have been effective, as far as they go, in that they drew attention and achieved results.

Frankly, for the Earth-based stuff, I'm liking that we seem to have two (and only two) globe-begirdling evil organizations, and that they're in competition in the shadows.

The only villain I'd wished had been handled substantially differently in the MCU so far is Whiplash/Ivan Vanko. That's one symptom of the general weakness of IM2 (not that it was bad -- I love it, but there were problems). I've said elsewhere, but I'll summarize here that I wish they'd gone a streamlined route a la the comic Vankos, tweaked -- after Tony digs into the history, the next time they run into each other Tony says (in the midst of dodging and grappling and such) he hadn't known but now he does, he's sorry Ivan had such a bad life,he knows Ivan probably thinks the world of his dead dad and doesn't want to hear unpleasant truth, but Anton brought it on himself, Howard trusted him and was betrayed, etc. Ultimately, Ivan realizes he's fighting the wrong fight and changes sides, becoming one of Tony's most loyal allies in future stories, alongside Rhodey, in a freshly rebuilt and upgraded suit of (not crimson) Dynamo armor. One of my favorite Lincoln quotes: "The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend."

--Jonah

And Thanos... Well, he just wants the power to kill the universe as a present to Death, whom he's been in love with for ages, unrequited. He's hoping to impress Her.

You just know that Thanos has a seething hatred for Deadpool. Not only is Thanos's great love in love with Deadpool, but Thanos cannot do anything to end it because Deadpool JUST WON'T DIE!!!

Actually went to the theater with my 'youngest' (19 :lol) to see Terminator, but the ticket sales girl told us that the a/c in that theater was not working. Since we went to escape the heat, we turned round and left, but then I remembered Ant-Man was also showing.

I had already decided to just get Ant-Man straight on DVD as I am now sick and tired of all the Marvel movies / Superheros etc etc , but thought oh well, we're here, so what the heck ....

Amazingly, so glad I decided to stay and watch Ant-Man :D

Agreed with all everyone said. Thumbs up, 8.5 / 10 :thumbsup

Kudos to Marvel for keeping me interested and not barf every time I hear the name of another one of their movies :lol

(Though I have yet to watch Winter Soldier & Ultron straight on DVD :ninja)

I went to see this in "IMAX" at AMC (noting the quotes being not a true IMAX) last Tuesday. I was extremely happy with everything they did with this film and had an excellent balance of action and humor. Rudd and Michael Douglas were great.

The youthful Michael Douglas was seriously the most realistic effects conversion I have ever seen on screen. It looked like they beamed him to the future to shoot the 1989 introduction. I had to look up and see what they did because it was literally a spitting image of his younger self. Seeing how incredible it was on that humongous screen was both amazing and scary.

Did anyone else think that now we could actually see an anthology Shadows of the Empire film? Haha! That would be sweet to see a younger Han, Luke and Leia in between the 4-6 films.

Anyway.... wow.... I was very impressed.

Ant-man was a lot of fun and probably won't fetch massive numbers being he's a newbie solo Marvel character in the cinematic world not everyone is familiar with, but I am betting long-term it will make a lot of money in the home video markets as his character crosses others in the MCU and gaining popularity there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Saw the movie this weekend, it was great. Loved everything about it, and is right up there with TWS for me as my favorite Marvel movies.

4. So there was the montage of Hank learning how to use the suit, go small than big while fighting or going through doors, etc... Than Darren puts on the yellow jacket and is a freaking pro in 10 seconds. Knows how to use all the weapons, fly and maneuver like a jet plane.

I'm sure he had done extensive training in the suit full size. It's just the shrinking part he would have had minimal training in.

Also gotta keep in mind that Darren designed the yellow jacket suit, so he would be familiar with how everything works. While the ant-man suit and the entire concept was brand new to Scott. How quickly they put the suits on is crazy.

curious.. I noticed during the credits alot of stan lee mentions.

how much involvment does he have with these scripts?

I've loved EVERY Marvel movie so far.....although the first iron man movie I found kind of boring, to be honest. And I have yet to see the incredible hulk.

As far as Ant Man...I don't know the over all Marvel story line here....so it may be following the comics, but I felt the avengers battle could have been left out. the Haley Atwell seen and Avengers joke in the beginning would have been enough to connect it all.

I also found it amusing that they used the explosive device from the first Agent Carter Pilot.

curious.. I noticed during the credits alot of stan lee mentions.

how much involvment does he have with these scripts?

I've loved EVERY Marvel movie so far.....although the first iron man movie I found kind of boring, to be honest. And I have yet to see the incredible hulk.

As far as Ant Man...I don't know the over all Marvel story line here....so it may be following the comics, but I felt the avengers battle could have been left out. the Haley Atwell seen and Avengers joke in the beginning would have been enough to connect it all.

I also found it amusing that they used the explosive device from the first Agent Carter Pilot.

I think that aside for his requisite cameos Stan Lee's involvement in these films is minimal at best. His name is in the credits mostly as just that, credit to the man that had so much to do with Marvel in its early years and was responsible, or at least had a had in creating or developing, many of our favorite Marvel superheroes. It's not all that uncommon in Hollywood to give someone a credit on a show or movie even if their involvement is minimal, sort of like giving lead actors a producer's credit on their show even when they don't do any actual producing, they do that as a way of paying the actor more without actually paying them more for being an actor. So in Stan Lee's case, it's most likely a way of honoring him for his contributions as well as a way for him to make a buck too.

I was entertained and when I go to the movies I like to be entertained. I will most likely watch this again when it shows up on FX.

It isn't even necessarily honorific. Creating the characters portrayed in the films would give him a producer credit, writing the stories adapted into the films would give him a writing credit. Just as Jack Kirby deserves a conceptual illustrator credit for designing the general "look" of many/most of the MCU characters (initially -- Steve Ditko, Al Williamson, Walt Simonson, and many others contributed plot points and design elements that have gone into the movies, too). Basically, there probably wouldn't be an MCU (and likely not even a Marvel Comics) if not or those two. So yeah.

In other news, I'd been thinking further about the keychain tank and I feel a bit thick. Of course there was a version of Pym Particles that compressed mass as well as volume -- otherwise Wasp couldn't fly. Derp. No way those teeny wings could boost a hundred-something-pound person (and perform adroit maneuvers), even if that hundred-something pounds was compressed into a volume smaller than my hand. I'm still a little curious which came first...

--Jonah

In other news, I'd been thinking further about the keychain tank and I feel a bit thick. Of course there was a version of Pym Particles that compressed mass as well as volume -- otherwise Wasp couldn't fly. Derp. No way those teeny wings could boost a hundred-something-pound person (and perform adroit maneuvers), even if that hundred-something pounds was compressed into a volume smaller than my hand. I'm still a little curious which came first...

--Jonah

I would think that anything that shrunk you down in size would also reduce your weight as well, this is not a case of something like Odo from DS9 going from a human and shape changing to something much smaller, in the case of Odo he'd retain all of his mass and would thus weigh the same as he does normally, but in the case of Ant Man I'd think that the Pym Particles would reduce mass as well volume/size so anyone shrunk by a Pym Particle would weigh proportionately the same as their reduced size. In other words, if they're X percent smaller than normal size then they should also weigh X percent less, that's always seems to be the way that shrinking technology always works in sci-fi from Fantastic Voyage, to Honey I Shrunk the kids.

Except I thought that Ant Man retained at least some of his full-size mass so as to pack that much of a punch...

--Jonah

I tough so too, otherwise the train would have actually damage Yellow Jacket, and Ant Man wouldn't of made a dent on the car when he fell from the building at his small size. But then also, Daren wouldn't of been able to pick up the shrunken lamb with 2 fingers. In the movie they say the particle reduces the space between the atoms, which I would think in real life logic it wouldn't decrease mass, but it the movie it seems to go both ways.

Marvel just released this.

fHP2xbu.jpg

If the sequel isn't called "Giant-Man" then they screwed up.
Also, I want to see a movie where Scott Lang plays second fiddle to Hope. She clearly can mop the floor with him.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back