Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

The next fun challenge after this will be trying to figure out how to make a mold of the damn thing and then resin copies after that. I'm hoping I can make an open-faced brush-in mold here.
Sinned I know you've made one of these pretty recently. Perhaps you can offer some tips from first hand experience? :)

Very nice build so far. I love how it's turning out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Coming along great!

Molding this is pretty straightforward, however when I did it, I was rushing to be done for Halloween, so chanced it with a single registration key, and a single-piece support shell. Doing it again, I'd add more keys, and do a two-part shell. I just posted a few pictures of a method for the latter (on a Twisty the Clown mask) in a different thread: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=243676&p=3712666&viewfull=1#post3712666

Here are a few shots of doing Joe. I think I did 4 layers of Rebound 25, and then made the shell with Free-Form Air. I was worried about the little "metal" strips along the jawbone, since they have a little part jutting out, but they came out just fine.

immortanjoe-mold-1_zpsgfjoqjv3.jpg immortanjoe-mold-2_zpscwfqjqlu.jpg immortanjoe-mold-3_zpso9hocmhm.jpg

I've never actually done one of those type of molds, but I'm pretty sure I have Rebound, that Thivex thickening agent or whatever it's called, and plastic paste to shell it. I'm surprised you got the shell done out of that Free-Form Air stuff, it never seemed to get much more than marshmallowy on me the times I've used it.

How well do I have to seal behind-the-mask against the head mannequin or dome that I'm sitting the thing on? Do I need to sculpt it fairly shut with something like klean klay or monster clay?

I think the scale is close enough to right here!

Gonna print another tonight and then revisit things in the morning.

I've never actually done one of those type of molds, but I'm pretty sure I have Rebound, that Thivex thickening agent or whatever it's called, and plastic paste to shell it. I'm surprised you got the shell done out of that Free-Form Air stuff, it never seemed to get much more than marshmallowy on me the times I've used it.

How well do I have to seal behind-the-mask against the head mannequin or dome that I'm sitting the thing on? Do I need to sculpt it fairly shut with something like klean klay or monster clay?

There are a few pretty good videos on Smooth-On's site on how to do the brush up mold.

Weird about the Free-Form Air; was it old? I've always had good luck with it.

You'll definitely want to build up some clay around the mask. If nothing else, just to fill in the gaps between it and the face. You can also build some small walls, to keep the silicone contained. Either of those clays will work, though Monster Clay would be difficult to work with for what you need to do. The easiest to work with would be a water-based clay, like EM2010. However, you'll have to keep it moist, if it's going to take a while to finish the mold.

Mask progress continues. In a fit of optimism I dremelled out a pair of holes in either cheek and 3d printed some sockets that could act as receivers for the hose adapters:

Whole thing works pretty well, if I say so myself. The hope is that when I end up molding and resin-casting this thing I'll already have a comfortable attachment point for the hoses, rather than having to figure that out afterwards.

I added screws to the metal jawplate as appropriate, but I suspect they may be a bit on the big side. I'm either going to remove them and sculpt smaller screws on, or sculpt the metal plate wider so it looks more proportionate to them. Might countersink them, too, since I feel like they stick out a bit far from the mask.

So nice! Really strong work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been busy with real work lately, but I've modeled up a quick topbar connector piece for the 'grinder' badge. This thing looks different in different shots in the movie - in some scenes, it has the ribbon fed into the 'mouth' of it, while in others it is riveted overtop of the ribbon. Some scenes it has holes where the ribbon seems to be tied through, others it doesn't! Who knows! I modeled what I figured would be useful.

Hard not to see a goofy smiling face in that. Link to STL is in the OP.

Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Looks really good. Thank you!

I am learning to 3D model. What software do you use to create these great models?

I am mostly working in 3d Studio Max. I started with Sketchup, which is really simple and intuitive, but I have noticed that Sketchup does not produce good models for 3d printing purposes. Even if you observe proper order of operations in that program and do everything neatly, you end up with a model with a lot of weird artifacting effects that printer slicing software generally flips out on. I found weird lines and irregular patterns were being printed into my Sketchup models and really didn't like it.

3d Studio Max has a learning curve that I am still, well, learning, but for simple stuff like these badges it is more than adequate. It's also free on an educational license!

I'll revisit the sportsy-looking badge in a bit, and then do the keyhole one after that.

Thanks!

A couple of quick questions anyone have a file for the castle nuts and does anyone have an idea where to find what I call the scroll medal? And link to a good set of holsters that won't break my bank lol

That 'scroll' medal is a thing I was working on back on the first page, but I was a little unsatisfied with it because I still feel like I don't have a clear idea of what's actually on the damn thing.

You continue to knock these out of the park, Ein!

Everyone here knows where to find the naval badge right? I have the site if you want the link

Bingo!

Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

I got pretty far in the ordering process of the sports medal but they won't promise delivery until September 2 and they want £29 to ship a single £2 medal!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back