Avengers: Age of Ultron (Post-release)

I didn't even notice the ironman suit was different.

Did not enjoy this as much as the original avengers, it just felt a bit soulless, a bit by the numbers, there were a few moments of Joss Wheldon wit, but the only thing I could compare it to was like watching serenity after seeing firefly, the characters where all there, but they didn't seem to be acting like we remembered them for the most part.

I took my wife to see this today, and I was due to take my kid to see it at the weekend while she is at work, but I am not sure he will sit through it without being bored in places, because I sure was.

I saw GOTG four times at the cinema, but I am not sure I would see this one even twice.

Totes agree mate.

Saw Avengers x4, Guardians of the Galaxy, x3, Iron Man 3 x2,

AoU, really not that interested in seeing it again, happy to wait fo rthe blue ray.

Soulless is exactly the word i was looking for. Some hella flat acting, especially from kick ass, hopefully this is the last blockbuster he'll do.

Ultron was nothing like he was in the trailer, he seemed genuinely terrifying in the trailer, but in the movie he was just a bit annoying.

Totes agree mate.

Saw Avengers x4, Guardians of the Galaxy, x3, Iron Man 3 x2,

AoU, really not that interested in seeing it again, happy to wait fo rthe blue ray.

Soulless is exactly the word i was looking for. Some hella flat acting, especially from kick ass, hopefully this is the last blockbuster he'll do.

Ultron was nothing like he was in the trailer, he seemed genuinely terrifying in the trailer, but in the movie he was just a bit annoying.

I didn't find it at all soulless. As far as Aaron Taylor Johnson is concerned, I think that was less bad acting and more of not having a lot of lines to work with. I mean, he was terribly underused in the film.

Ultron, however, I actually liked. Yes, I was initially disappointed that he wasn't as menacing as the trailers made him out to be, but then I realized that his performance was great. He played Ultron as a gleefully homicidal mirror to Tony.

I do get the ultron was basically a copy of tony stark without a moral compass/totally nuts, but we didn't get to see the really mean side of him. He did a lot of killing off screen (/on the cutting room floor) and we just got the 'Aww c'mon guys' stuff.

Feel like Strucker probably had a way bigger part in the movie but a re-shoot had someone just shove a picture of him dead into frame.

everytime I watch avengers 1 im on the edge of my seat for thor to break out of the glass prison and tony to make it back through the portal.

in this one i didnt get the feeling that anyone was ever in any danger.

You guys all rave about how great 3D movies are and here I am all "Nope, can't watch it because my eyes can't process it and the glasses give me headaches."

I agree with both of you.

The jurassic world trailer looked AMAZING, best 3D i've ever seen.

But i dont want to watch the movie in 3D

not sure if it's my eyes but when the action kicks off its a blurry mess.

nice for slow sweeping camera moves across fields of non-moving dinosaurs

I agree with both of you.

The jurassic world trailer looked AMAZING, best 3D i've ever seen.

But i dont want to watch the movie in 3D

not sure if it's my eyes but when the action kicks off its a blurry mess.

nice for slow sweeping camera moves across fields of non-moving dinosaurs

Well, my issue is slightly different.

70-80% of my visual acuity comes through my left eye, with the right one making up the difference (this is really annoying for shooting purposes, since I'm right handed but left eye dominant).

3D movies are meant to be enjoyed by people with near-equal use of both eyes,which I do not have.

saw it today at the Seattle IMAX digital (refurbished) theater and thought it was great. I'm not going to critique the movie too hard, I mean you have a flying suit, and a green monster as two of the main characters. Liked it as much as the first. The digital 3D was clear as a bell no matter where on the screen you were looking.

I did notice BRYAN SINGER come up (backwards) on one of the computer screens. Did anyone else catch this?

Vision handing Thor the hammer was a pretty cool way to deflate the "with us or against us" line of thought.

Well, my issue is slightly different.

70-80% of my visual acuity comes through my left eye, with the right one making up the difference (this is really annoying for shooting purposes, since I'm right handed but left eye dominant).

3D movies are meant to be enjoyed by people with near-equal use of both eyes,which I do not have.

Interesting, I'm in roughly the same boat (don't know the percentages, I'd guess my right eye may be even worse than yours) but I don't have any issues with the 3D.

I enjoy quirky dialogue as much the next person, but I not was a fan of Whedon cramming some quip in ever ten seconds. There were several times where it really didn't seem to fit the scenario or character.

Last edited:
I enjoy quirky dialogue as much the next person, but I was a fan of Whedon cramming some quip in ever ten seconds. There were several times where it really didn't seem to fit the scenario or character.
I felt that way with Cap's quips and Nick Fury's as well...

I did enjoy Nat and Bruce's story arc, nicely done.

Good talk...

Something to do with his line at the party about leaving the Avenging to Cap. Though with him being a new Avenger at the end...

I actually thought it made a lot of sense. Take what Steve Rogers thought of SHIELD from Winter Soldier and compare that to his reaction of seeing Nick Fury bringing the good'ol 64 in to help save the day. Steve never really approved of SHIELD's methods or even it's most valued members. After bringing down SHIELD and thinking that was it, finding Bucky was reduced to him and just Sam. And as we find out during party sequence, that isn't really going anywhere.

When we get to the end of Age of Ultron, things change in a big way. Nick Fury and the remaining Avengers start a new SHIELD like organization that has a full complement of officers, soldiers, and scientists. But the most important element of all, Steve is actually confident and a bit proud to be a part of it. With the resources and man power at Steve's disposal that he can now count on, I'd be asking why Steve didn't involve Sam since this would make the job of finding Bucky a lot easier.

Oh, here's another thing I really liked that was sorely missing in everything Phase 2.

MUSIC CONTINUITY!

I was so worried that when Alan Silvestri wasn't coming back to compose the film that we would be getting all new themes just like Phase 2 did for The Dark World, Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier. I've always believed that a film's score can really help solidify a film/character's identity and I liked the themes that were done in Phase 1. So when I heard the Avengers theme not only in the Marvel logo, but other characters' themes we've heard in the past, I couldn't have been happier. Even Jeff Bond, one of the most renowned experts in film scores thinks that Elfman snuck in a tiny bit of his HULK music into the film. Even in different continuities, a theme can still be a part of the character as much as the character itself.

Oh, here's another thing I really liked that was sorely missing in everything Phase 2.

MUSIC CONTINUITY!

I was so worried that when Alan Silvestri wasn't coming back to compose the film that we would be getting all new themes just like Phase 2 did for The Dark World, Iron Man 3 and Winter Soldier. I've always believed that a film's score can really help solidify a film/character's identity and I liked the themes that were done in Phase 1. So when I heard the Avengers theme not only in the Marvel logo, but other characters' themes we've heard in the past, I couldn't have been happier. Even Jeff Bond, one of the most renowned experts in film scores thinks that Elfman snuck in a tiny bit of his HULK music into the film. Even in different continuities, a theme can still be a part of the character as much as the character itself.

I was disappointed that "Driving with the Top Down" wasn't carried over to IM2 & 3. Although using AC/DC in IM2 was good. :D

Saw the movie this morning with my fellow Expo volunteers. I loved it! Lots of action and a whole lot of one-liners. Seemed like the critics weren't too thrilled, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I just watched the film in IMAX 3D and I loved it. Here are some notes off the top of my head:

Once again Joss accomplished something amazing. He organically introduced a number of completely bizarre characters into the MCU without making the film a complete clown show. That alone is a great feat.

I didn't find the film too "busy" or fragmented. A lot happens in the movie and the individual character arcs kept it cohesive and engaging. If the movie simply followed a singular conflict (as most franchise films do) I would have felt unfulfilled - as if I just watched a "villain of the month" show. Part of the MCU code is that their characters and their relationships have to evolve with each film - that they need to end up in a different place from where they begin. This film is an example of this.

This film is definitely more rewarding for the comic-fan viewer. I was already bonded to Wanda and Pietro because I read so much about them in the comics when I was a kid. Pietro's death surprised and affected me. And when The Vision saves Wanda there was that instant where they look into each others eyes that just gave me chills. Seeing The Vision run his hands through a bot for the first time made me shout out loud.

I completely forgot what a good actor Andy Serkis is. I've become so used to him in a green suit covered with dots. I geeked when he lost his arm.

This is the first time I actually liked Don Cheadle as Rhodey.

Great eye-candy (sorry, I'm a guy) Scarlett Johansson never looked better. Cobie Smulders never looked better - or more in shape. Claudia Kim ... sigh. And, I gotta say, there was lots of nice cleavage.

Fights were spectacular. Just spectacular. This much superhero fighting should have been fatiguing to watch. This is how you script, film and edit big battles ... (MoS please take note)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back