Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Dying day! I couldn't find anything remotely close at Joann's, but they had a sale on knits and I couldn't pass it up. I'm using a mix of Rit's Taupe and Grey. (Side note, I swear this is that stupid blue and black dress debate all over again with whether she's in grey tones or tan tones.)

JyHLTmu.jpg

I'll be sewing my top today and hopefully working on the bottoms.

Color changes depending on the lighting, film processing, monitor settings, inks used for printed material, etc.
Pick a color you like and go with it. ;)

BTW for the budget builders, check out the boots at Target for a cheap close enough shoe that you can cover with the fabric of your choice.
I'm sure just about every one is carrying boots now in the northern hemisphere.

Dying day! I couldn't find anything remotely close at Joann's, but they had a sale on knits and I couldn't pass it up. I'm using a mix of Rit's Taupe and Grey. (Side note, I swear this is that stupid blue and black dress debate all over again with whether she's in grey tones or tan tones.)

http://i.imgur.com/JyHLTmu.jpg

I'll be sewing my top today and hopefully working on the bottoms.

I was planning on using that combination, post pictures on how it turns out.

I was planning on using that combination, post pictures on how it turns out.

Turned out pretty good! The fabric for the shirt is 60/40 cotton/polyester (... I believe) and the pants are linen. For the shirt, I soaked the fabric for about 10 minutes in a 3:1 mix of taupe and pearl grey. When the fabric was in the washer, I did the pants and added the rest of the taupe bottle into the sink.

Once I figure out a way to distress the fabric it will be much better! I'm placing the order with Dharma for the Viscose tonight.

gJ6NMBD.jpg

Picture isn't great... I'm finally upgrading my iPhone 4s to a 6s this week!

I bought the tan ones. They are a little difficult to weather as the leather is well sealed. Still working on it

Have you tried soaking them in neatsfoot oil? That usually helps darken leathers. You can pick some up at Tandy Leather, and I'd ask them for suggestions. They are usually very helpful.

Hi, just wanted to say you guys are SERIOUSLY talented! Just flicked through this whole post, will be coming back for more lol, as my 8year old daughter is so excited about Rey that she wants the costume and her toys etc lol. Limited time so will try and make her the staff, to beat the crap out of her older brother :D

keep up the great work all, is great seeing your progress!

For the hair, I would just take a smaller strand to wrap around the elastic and use the rest in the bun below it.

Also, I just spotted this photo on pinterest and though it could help some people.

bf29afeef3f3db4560e4575699c52562.jpg

The arm wraps look more to be that stuff they use when they cast you.... why can't I think of the name?

rey11.jpg rey2.jpg rey4.jpg

So here is where we are at on my GF's Rey costume as of Halloween.
I guess this would be considered a budget build.
Everything was rushed because we started late and I was also working on a Kylo Ren coustume for myself.

Staff- made by me using the kylegilbert info as a base. Took several weeks to fabricate, cut, fit, assemble and paint it. I was thinking the color was too light and rusty, but looking at the Rey poster that came out now I think it might be pretty close. Either way i'm happy with it - more pics of it are a few pages back.

Bag - I don't think it was ever mentioned as a possibility on here, but I found this canvas one on Amazon and really like it. Seems like the right size, style, material and price if you can't get the signal satchel. This is the olive, but it also comes in a khaki color. It looks funny in these pics because it's full of candy! I pulled the strap and pockets off of it and added belt loops in the back made from the strap. $10:
http://www.amazon.com/Rothco-O-D-Am...TF8&qid=1446833094&sr=8-6&keywords=rothco+bag
(it may also be sold at some outdoors stores, not sure)

Shirt - $8 from TJ Maxx.

Pants - $12 from Marshalls, they are viscose with elastic at the bottom and the color is pretty good I think. These were a real find!

Wrap / Dress - made from long scarves from Walmart that we cut down, spliced and weathered with blk and brown paint. I also ironed some creases into it at the last minute.

Belt - I made this from 2 Walmart belts and used a snap to attach the lower one so it can come undone to slide the bag on and off. I did some fast weathering with black paint just before the trick-or-treaters came.

Boots - came from her closet. We thought these looked the best of what we had available

Arm Wraps - Gauze hit with blk paint. She did not want to wear them over the elbow for comfort.

Leg Wraps - made from some scrap fabric

Bracer - Made by me from a piece of genuine leather.

Upgrades we are looking at now that we have have this as a starting point and more time.
Wrap / Dress - we will try to find better fabric for this locally or order the Dharma fabric and dye it. What we used was just the best we could come up with in the time we had. Unfortunately the craft stores near us did not have any fabric that was suitable.

Boots - she is looking at ordering the correct boots.

Bag - the width was never cut down to make it the right size, so that might happen plus add the alice clip to it and possibly the second loop on the side. It also needs more weathering - a lot more.

Shirt and Pants - Need more weathering might also look at adjustments to the sleeves since that new info was posted here.

Belt - more weathering and it still has 1 buckle in the back which may get removed or at least painted if it stays.

Leg Wraps - these were just a stand in done in a rush, so probably find new fabric, re make them and look at better ways to keep them in place.

Arm Wraps - I'm thinking these might need to be thickened & maybe done with 2 layers of the gauze, they look a little thin.

Bracer - again this was done fast. It needs weathering and maybe another leather piece added to the inside to firm it up a little.

Head wrap piece - we actually made some of the head part from the scarf fabric that was used it it looks pretty good, but still needs some work.

Goggles - Fabricate these after the movie comes out and more info is available. A working light on them is a must.

Last edited:
Hi, started reading this tgread, but will have to jump back to it later, but as wondering if anyone is selling the Rey staff. I've started work on one but if someone s done, I may be better off buying. Thanks !!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back