What's on your workbench? (no Star Wars, Marvel or DC stuff)

Re: What's on your workbench?

Right now I have a pile of junk on my workbench. In that pile of junk is a half completed Star Trek computer I need to finish so I can start on my next idea. Much cleaning to do first.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Currently chunking away at a custom saber for funsies. Also working in electro etching MTG tokens for a friend.

2014-04-28 20.00.16.jpg2014-04-28 22.25.41.jpg2014-04-30 14.00.21.jpg2014-04-30 17.15.09.jpg2014-04-30 17.34.04.jpg

Picked up this bad boy the other day after bidding and winning it on TradeMe for $50 (NZ's version of eBay) - 5 ft long home made star destroyer. Made of plywood, has lights built in and most the detailing is beads, Lego pieces and monopoly houses!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399766868.998477.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399766912.945344.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399766937.272645.jpg

Have no idea what to do with it. Lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prop making has taken a back seat for a short break while I upgrade a few areas of my workshop. I wanted to improve the electronic side of things and that means bespoke circuit boards as opposed to loose wires, so set about making my own PCB fabrication station.

So far my bench has seen:

•HEPA fume extraction box with motor frequency control (fan speed) of which 90% is recycled materials/parts

£250 worth of jammed laminator I got for £29, fixed it in ten minutes (for toner transfer method)

•and just finished assembling a mini PCB drill press with auto on/off switching from scrap alu heatsinks, and a solder bath flux spray head assembly I got from the bin at work. The only new parts on it are the spring, micro switch, motor and the linear rail bracket I used to it mount it with.

Tested it out last night to great success :)
Home made PCB drill press: Home made PCB drill press - YouTube

I have to say a big THANK YOU at this point for the resourcefulness and "can do" attitudes of the members of this forum inspiring me to "have a go". Without you, none of my creations since joining would have even been considered attemtable by my good self.

Currently working on my BTRS Scanner to go with my Middleman costume for Denver Comic Con next month.

(Pic from the show for those who don't know what I'm talking about. Hopefully some photos of my prop will be coming soon.)

23726_320.jpg

I just hope there's enough fans of The Middleman out there who recognize the costume.

No CB2001. It is based on a cartoon that Roland Emmet did for a British Magazine in the 50s,60s called "Punch"

I'm currently obssessing over Nixie tubes and Nixie clocks because of the watch from Metro: Last Light. I'm thinking of making that watch but with 7 segment displays instead since it'll be a bit too bulky for my tastes if I do use Nixie tubes. In the meantime, I bought a simple Nixie clock kit to build.

10268446_10152243781818710_5876792366564690661_n.jpg

Doing a little bit of work on my full size Johnny 5 from Short Circuit.
Making the head from styrene, will make a mold and cast it out of resin when im ready.
Its a bit wonky at the moment as its only roughly taped together.
20140618_220945.jpg20140618_221019.jpg

What's on your workbench?

I'm finishing up this Jafar Staff. Just a little bit of weathering around the face and it should be finished. I'm excited because it's my first commission ever.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405349011.925265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Recently been working on this saber.

The hilts internals are all metal too (lens/LED seat/heatsink assembly), but as this is my first time using metal for a saber build, I used PVC for the shrouds as that's what I'm used to working with.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back