Removing stickers - How?

tk8456

Does anyone out there know a really good way of removing stickers (very large) from some aluminium bottles I have?

The stickers seem to have a water resistant film on them, almost glossy so the old wamr soapy water routine isn't working too well.

I plan to sand these down anyway, to remove all scratches etc, so any method that's harsh will be fine :)

thanks

John

As you plan to sand the bottles anyway why not sand the labels enough to give the water a way to soak into the label. The glossy coating is what's preventing the water from wetting the label enough to remove it.

Yeah that's true. I was hoping to save on a little sand paper. LOL

You're right, I'll sand them a bit and see what happens. Ta :)

I use lighter fluid (Zippo brand), works like a charm on plastic, metal, toys, models eyc, etc. Desolves the glue and makes for easy removal. Then used again and takes away any glue left on product. has never failed, and has never ruined anything I have put it on. As a bonus it evaporates fast. :)

Heating it up with a heat gun will usually soften the adhesive enough to peel most of it off, then you just need to clean the residue... It works well when the sticker is on a surface that the heat won't effect like this...

cheers Lads. I've managed to remove them with warm water and crazy 2 grit sandpaper.

Shame I didn't think of a heat gun. cos I sanded it off I had to then take the shine back on the bottles bit at a time. Looks ok now though. But yeah a heat gun would have been ace :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back