Removing decals under a Tamiya Flat coat without removing paint. Possible?

Fett_Ish

Sr Member
Title says it all. I have a 1/350 TOS E that I thought the paint was smooth enough to forgo a gloss coat for decals but no such luck. I was dumb and thought a flat coat would help. I have a feeling I am going to have to sand and repaint but I would love to avoid that. Any suggestions appreciated. I already tried wishing though.

If you have a steady hand you can remove the flat coat only at the sections where the decal is. You need to be careful not to go outside the area of the decal. It will be long and tedious work and it may not work at all and may still damage the paint, but you could try it in a place where it won't really show.

I have not tried this myself, but I have seen videos on Youtube about it. I'll see if I can find them again.

Has anyone played with decals using kirigami?

Say you have the NCC-1701 decal…to prevent the blank areas from yellowing, perhaps pre-scored lines could allow only the blank areas to be removed.

We think of 3D prints in terms of model parts only—but I think a top layer could be formed such that when pulled back it leaves only the letters and numbers—that can perhaps be removed later with a tape with an affinity for the decals.

Chemistry is the key here for future decal handling I think.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back