Anyone know anything about the John Wick Gold Coins?

Brass and 18k gold plated have been made available. Search Wick Coin and choose the one that says "brass or Gold".

The goal is still to have Ultraman see if he can make a gold plated coin cheaper.

hmm....this is the plastic version in the new Extreme detail. But it still has noticeable print lines. I think the improvement is minimal.

i don't know....the over all printing is pretty good! especially the lettering.
i wonder if it would be possible to take a super high grit sand paper and try and knock down those print lines.....then it would mold perfectly!

Since it is largely translucent, I had to paint it to even get a picture of it. And this is the plastic version, meaning Shapeways couldn't print that fabulous text in metal.
I also have the one with significantly thicker lettering,(the one intended for metal) and I will send you both. I did not paint the second one.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what we're going to find out here pretty soon....i just got the coins from jintosh yesterday to mold....and i ordered in the silicon to do them.
once it gets here i'll start molding and casting to see if we can hold the details and then i have to try and plate them.

if it works out it will be better then the shapeways brass because i want to remove those mold lines from the printing process.

So is that plated gold one pretty much as good as it's going to get?

well its taken me for ever and a decade to get my supplies in but it finally happened.

the wick coin in metal test is under way!

built the molds up with sculpey and lego.
then poured in the platinum silicone.

cross your fingers.
wicktest1.JPG

wicktest2.JPG

:ninja

Fingers are crossed.

If it totally fails, we still might get them printed in polished brass from Shapeways, wipe out the print lines and then gold plate them.
That would be a last resort.

Hopefully your molds will turn out a usable coin.

wick test still underway!

i finished the molds and started casting.
out of 250 hand casted coins only 25 were usable>
i'd have one side turn out perfect and the other side would be garbage so getting both sides to read was a chore!

skele 057.jpg
then did a polish test
pewtertest2.JPG

now making my own copper sulfate to start plate testing

blue layer is the copper being removed from the old pennies

coppertest1.JPG coppertest2.JPG

back to work....:ninja

Holy crap they look amazing! At least that many turned out, could have been worse I suppose lol. Can't wait to check out the gold version!

thanks guys it's coming along slowly but surely.

and the alchemy continues.
i tried plating a coin straight out of the mold and another one that was polished:

goldplatetest1a.JPG

it looks as though plating pewter is going to be as hard as i heard it was.
the gold reacted with the polish on the polished one and made it muddy.......it came out better plating it straight out of the mold.
while surfing around the net i found that i have to plate it in copper first then in nickel then in gold to get that look we are trying for.

so basically i'm " macgyvering it ".....i already made a batch of copper acetate out of old pennies. and now i'm in the process of making nickel acetate
out of canadian nickels because they are 99.9% nickel from 1955-1981....all old american nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel.
goldplatetest2a.JPG

Holy crap they look amazing! At least that many turned out, could have been worse I suppose lol. Can't wait to check out the gold version!

looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!!!!

Good lord that looks like quite a bit of work lol. Glad to see you're getting it figured out though, I'm sure the end result will be well worth it!

Every time I see threads like this, I'm reminded that I'm amongst a crowd of geniuses. I'll just stand here and gawk hoping nobody notices I don't belong.

Amazing work on this project. Like others, I'm anxiously awaiting the results and hopefully a purchasable product.

WR

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back