Anyone know anything about the John Wick Gold Coins?

thanks guys!

and actually thebigbang914 i live in the usa and would love to hook up with a few more canadian nickels Pre-1981...i only have 3 that i'm working with right now.

i did however make some headway today!

i ended up copper plating and then nickel plating one of the coins and it came out pretty spotty....i'm starting to learn that some metals work better at different voltages and at different temperatures in the acetates. what you have to realize is that i'm doing this all with house hold materials...i don't have any professional plating supplies so i'm using pickle jars, distilled vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, salt, batteries, electrical adapters, wire, clothe pins, coffee filters and coins. this really is as macgyver as you can get lol.

today i discovered that it works better just to nickel plate the coin straight out of the mold. the copper is too easily spotty from having the temp or voltage too high.
and it cuts out one more step which is an added bonus!
now this picture looks more grainy then it is because it turned out this way when i reduced the size down.
the nickel plated one is a more silver metal where as the plane pewter one is more of a grayish in real life.
goldtest3a.JPG

then i plated the plane nickel plated one and what a difference! :eek
goldtest4a.JPG

it's almost at the metallic gold i'm looking for. i'm going to try and see if there's a way to buff the nickel first without polish to get it to a higher shine and then plate it gold.
i also have a buddy who is a jeweler that i work for off and on, and he said he might have a go at plating one in rhodium and then pin plating it gold using the professional equipment. we'll see what happens.

:ninja

Good lord that looks like quite a bit of work lol. Glad to see you're getting it figured out though, I'm sure the end result will be well worth it!

Are you Canadian or is it going to be a challenge to find those Canadian Nickels? Anyway, look already nice for a first try!

Every time I see threads like this, I'm reminded that I'm amongst a crowd of geniuses. I'll just stand here and gawk hoping nobody notices I don't belong.

Amazing work on this project. Like others, I'm anxiously awaiting the results and hopefully a purchasable product.

WR

Good luck with the alchemy :)

They look awesome, but also very new! The high-detail print makes it look so sharp, that it doesn't seem like ti had any real-life handling. Perhaps they don't, I don't know the handling rate amongst assassins :)

But I think it would look more "real" when the hard edges in the details have a little wear, perhaps after a slight sanding in a rotary tumbler?

lol
in real life they actually do look a little worn.
i hand pour each one of these so they all have little imperfections ....some have little pit marks some have dings going around the band on the out side from having uneven metal from the pours.

if you look at this picture you can see a hairline crack above the shield and below the letters on the top:
goldplatetest1b.JPG

right now i'm just working on getting the gold to look the way i want .....aging it will be easy after that :D

They look awesome, but also very new! The high-detail print makes it look so sharp, that it doesn't seem like ti had any real-life handling. Perhaps they don't, I don't know the handling rate amongst assassins :)

But I think it would look more "real" when the hard edges in the details have a little wear, perhaps after a slight sanding in a rotary tumbler?

slowly but surely the work continues.
my lighting for the pictures has sucked due to taking pictures in my kitchen under a 45w bulb...hopefully one day when it stops raining i'll try some outside shots to get true color. on the latest test i used a wire brush on a dremel to shine up the pewter pre nickel plate...and wow did it make a difference!
i want to try another way of getting a thicker nickel plate and then do the gold and see if i can pull off a polish. i'm starting to think that if i ever do get around to selling some of these off ....all the money will go to some professional plating equipment, then i could do a second new and improved run and use it to help people out in the junkyard.

goldplatetest5c.JPG

Looking good.

I will point out that all the pictures of the coins that were screen captures show a sharp, shiny coin. I believe these are well cared for and no weathering is necessary.

Even if these weren't so special, it is still a $1000+ coin. Wouldn't you take extra care of any coin worth that much ??? ;)

thanks guys!

and actually thebigbang914 i live in the usa and would love to hook up with a few more canadian nickels Pre-1981...i only have 3 that i'm working with right now.

I live in Canada and I have a couple of those nickels that I'm willing to ship over.

IMG20150524154001.jpg

awesome keep saving them up...i'll let you know if i need them!

i finally got to show the coins to my buddy the jeweler yesterday night!
after showing him all the different coins and the process i went about doing each, he says that he has a better polishing compound and a better way of pulling off the "gold luster" we are going for.

i gave him 3 rough coins to do tests on.
from what i take it ,he's going to try and polish one with a high chrome look on the polishing wheel, then toss it in an ammonia ultrasonic bath to remove the polishing compound from the coin....then plate in nickel, and then pen plate in gold.
we're also looking into the costs of buying the nickel bath plating solutions...we may end up getting a little tester bottle just to see if it's any different from the nickel acetate i've already made and have been using.
given the results of the tests will determine whether or not we end up buying any of that . personally i'd like to use my own nickel acetate and i'd like to keep costs down as much as possible in order to make the coins cheaper then anyone else is willing to sell them for. :cool

I live in Canada and I have a couple of those nickels that I'm willing to ship over.

View attachment 481037

Hey guys sorry Im late back to the party,your coins are looking amazing! I've finished my model but it looks like there's no need for it now!
Look forward to seeing a big stack of them!

hay luckey.

i'm pretty much playing the waiting game right now ....waiting for my jeweler friend to get back to me with the 3 coins i gave him so i can see how they came out.
i also would like to see them in stacks!
i've been checking out pistol cases and trying to figure out how to gut one so that you have a gun on one side and a stack or two of coins on the other.

or make the little wooden coin holder from the movie:

got this from a friend that took the pic on the wick set!
wickcoinholder.JPG

Hey guys sorry Im late back to the party,your coins are looking amazing! I've finished my model but it looks like there's no need for it now!
Look forward to seeing a big stack of them!

Yeah I decided to get mine building on the RP machine over night. See how it turns out. Yeah If i get to that stage I was just going to make up a simple box to fit them in. Im pretty sure maybe even a high end poker chip set holder would do!

I read your post, we usually nickel plate brass then plate over the top of it, gives it a brighter shiner finish.

Until i have the coin in my hand I'm unsure of how I'm going to polish them, But most likely as your jeweller friend mentioned, on a mop with some heavy compound then rouge to make it shiny then sonic and steam it to clean

thanks guys!

i did however make some headway today!

Sorry, i've been busy this past few days! I'll check for some. Contact me when/if you need them.

it's all good bigbang914....with summer coming up it seems like everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
soo many projects and stuff to do.

i'll let you know if i need any thanks!
:cool

Sorry, i've been busy this past few days! I'll check for some. Contact me when/if you need them.

it's all good bigbang914....with summer coming up it seems like everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off.
soo many projects and stuff to do.

i'll let you know if i need any thanks!
:cool

ok, I'll continu to come to see the progress of the project. I'm impatient to see what the final product will look like! Keep up the good work!

I've got the first build of mine off the machine last week, but been so busy haven't been able to sort out the issues on mine. Posting from my phone doesn't seem to be an option to attach photos!

i'm just waiting on my jeweler buddy to see how his plating job turns out....he procrastinated the last 2 weeks away and told me yesterday he was doing them this weekend....we'll see what happens.

this is were my projects always get bogged down (waiting on someone else's work)
you know me, i have crazy insane work ethic and bang out things as fast as possible....i've already pumped out the shrunken head from the knight bus in the time i've spent waiting on this. lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back