John Wick 4 rules of engagement cards

jcporcel

So, I'm starting to make digital files to print (or laser cut or whatever) the cards from the "Rules of Engagement" scene from John Wick 4, and I wanted to know if anyone have references from the front of the cards.
movie-screencaps.jpg

There are some awesome photos of the backs over here: More goodies from John Wick 4 .
That should be easy to vectorize, but I couldn´t find the front images so I just started googling the descriptions of the art. I thought they might somehow be related to all the gigantic art on the galleries throughout the movie.

I think I found what I think is the painting from card 19, which is "Head of Goliath" by Caravaggio.
found.jpg

Will be watching.
Great find on the one picture. Gruesome, but appropriate for the movie. ;)
I had initially noted that these were larger than 3x5 like Tarasov cards and thought they were 4x6.
But, upon closer examination, these are skinnier than that. They appear to be an odd size of 3x6.

Last edited:
I am LOVING this. You are awesome at finding these.
But there are 24 cards in the deck. And it is not likely that ALL are shown.
So, while you're searching, you should also be looking for similar pictures done in the same style for the remaining un-shown cards.

It's coming along. Great the prop department kept things to one artist work Caravaggio. If not be like finding a needle in a hey stack researching other artists....L. Very true like Jintosh said. One can assume other art work, but they are not all shown in the movie scene. May have to take some liberties here and there to create a full deck. On the table scene there are 12 metallic cards for each player. One can also assume two things both of the decks are identical. Allowing players to select particular choice of weapon. Secondly, the other side of this can be 24 total random cards between the the two men and no way to see until the card is turned over. Meaning instead of 2 set of 12 identical cards. There could be 24 random images we know nothing about. I still say it be a grand idea if they did a visual dictionary for each movie or one big one for all 4 movies. Hey one can dream right...L.

Last edited:
The final ones were actually very easy to find.

Step 1: take the screenshot from the movie and fix the persective in photoshop
step-1.jpg

Step 2: grab the horribly blurry thumbnail and send it to TinEye Reverse Image Search to find matches and get whatever is best:
step-2.jpg

This usually gets the correct image but is microscopic, so:
Step 4: use the tiny but clear thumbnail and use google search
step-3.jpg

And done!
This was quite fun.
And now to make vectors and stuff...

Card decks have always been used as a symbol of fate. Since one number shown is 23, then it is not 1-12 duplicated. A card deck would be 24 unique numbers and pictures.
As to the game being played, it appears that you make an announcement and turn over a card and if your card is higher, you get your announcement terms.

Other-guy announced "BLADES" and turns over 14.
John announces "PISTOLS" and turns over 23.

The referee then says, "Dueling pistols, thirty paces."

Clearly John won.

Card decks have always been used as a symbol of fate. Since one number shown is 23, then it is not 1-12 duplicated. A card deck would be 24 unique numbers and pictures.
As to the game being played, it appears that you make an announcement and turn over a card and if your card is higher, you get your announcement terms.

Other-guy announced "BLADES" and turns over 14.
John announces "PISTOLS" and turns over 23.

The referee then says, "Dueling pistols, thirty paces."

Clearly John won.
Right on Jintosh. I totally overlooked the card numbers on the actual cards. I was just watching the YouTube and counted the cards laid out in front of each player. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Last edited:
I can't find the 3x6 metal cards in any thickness. I bought some 2x4 inch cards (same ratio width/height) and will be printing some cards just to show that it can be done. It'll probably cost more money/time to do them in the correct 3x6 cards. I might leave that to someone else.

Last edited:
Okay. If I hold my four fingers across the top and there's a bit of a gap at the end, I think the width is 3 inches wide.
(top middle picture)
Which would make it 6 inches tall.
I was second guessing myself.

Attachments

• movie-screencaps.jpg
    movie-screencaps.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Okay. If I hold my four fingers across the top and there's a bit of a gap at the end, I think the width is 3 inches wide.
(top middle picture)
Which would make it 6 inches tall.
I was second guessing myself.
I was also wondering about the size, and it indeed looked like something near 3 inches, I was calculating around 7cm... After a bit of absurd measuring of my hands and trying to replicate the posture on the screen shots, I just went into google and just asked for "standard tarot card size". Turns out the first standard size listed (70mm x 121mm, 2.75" x 4.75") fits our guesses pretty well so I will go with that!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back