New Episode 7 X-wing

Maybe Han Solo thinks the Millennium Falcon is a classic as it is? A veteran ship of not one, but TWO Death Star assaults, mind you. :)

Some changes have been made to her, other than the antenna that is, look at the aft sidewall next to the engine. Those greeblies are new to me. Is it just something the 3D modeler whacked together when making the model, is this a WIP model for the trailer only, or is this something put there on purpose referencing the final version of the new Falcon accurately? This remains to be seen.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q614/Avanaut/Other/Falcon-aft_zps3650e6c8.jpg
This is a crop from one of the high resolution images Disney released the other day, I've enhanced it a bit in Photosop.

It looks amazing,.....look how thin the hull plates are also

J

Wow great find, Avanaut. I guess you guys are right. It IS some hybrid, like a Jurassic World D-Rex.. Nice dented plating edges, but the greeblies -- does that signal the dusk of studio-scale modeling? I hope they don't over-engineer the mandible details like they did on that Hunk of Junk with the batmobile. I miss the classic 5-footer now.

Maybe Han Solo thinks the Millennium Falcon is a classic as it is? A veteran ship of not one, but TWO Death Star assaults, mind you. :)

Some changes have been made to her, other than the antenna that is, look at the aft sidewall next to the engine. Those greeblies are new to me. Is it just something the 3D modeler whacked together when making the model, is this a WIP model for the trailer only, or is this something put there on purpose referencing the final version of the new Falcon accurately? This remains to be seen.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q614/Avanaut/Other/Falcon-aft_zps3650e6c8.jpg
This is a crop from one of the high resolution images Disney released the other day, I've enhanced it a bit in Photosop.

Not only that. There's supposed to be 4 "Triangular" detail pieces at the side docking ring. But now, they look like pistons.

[url]http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q614/Avanaut/Other/Falcon-aft_zps3650e6c8.jpg[/URL]

Do you guys think they overdid it in details? It looks like a refinery. I don't really mind it...but the details differ a lot from the previous episodes. I know, I know...Han constantly modified it and it is a number of years later...

TazMan2000

"Artifical gravity/Inertial damping system", I like that.

Aboard the Millennium Falcon Luke and Ben strap themselves down with passenger airplane type lap belts when leaving Mos Eisley. Maybe such belts are used with certain fighters as well. Still, remembering the scene in TESB where the Falcon gets a direct hit on the rear deck while running away from the Tie fighters and Star Destroyers, without an AGIDS (a cool acronym for Artifical gravity/inertial damping system) that violent jerk would certainly have killed all passengers instantly, seat belts or not. Yeah, there must be an AGIDS in the mix.

I may be misremembering, but wasn't it Robert Brown's theory that this was what the Imperials messed with in ESB to keep the Falcon from entering hyperspace (it's a safety mechanism), and that R2 was able to fix with a simple adjustment to the navcomp in the cargo hold? Some amount of compensation lag accounted for inertial effects the characters experienced when the hyperdrive finally kicked in... That compensation lag might be normal, hence the need for some kind of very basic seat restraints. I always assumed that fighters had this kind of system as well.

Edit: Nope, it was Curtis Saxton: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/hyperspace.html#kinematics

Mark in Okinawa

Last edited:
I'm just very glad that we are getting back to the hardware designs from episodes 4, 5 & 6 time era and leaving behind the worlds of 1, 2 & 3. The Falcon lives again!

I may be misremembering, but wasn't it Robert Brown's theory that this was what the Imperials messed with in ESB to keep the Falcon from entering hyperspace (it's a safety mechanism), and that R2 was able to fix with a simple adjustment to the navcomp in the cargo hold? Some amount of compensation lag accounted for inertial effects the characters experienced when the hyperdrive finally kicked in... That compensation lag might be normal, hence the need for some kind of very basic seat restraints. I always assumed that fighters had this kind of system as well.

Edit: Nope, it was Curtis Saxton: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/hyperspace.html#kinematics

Mark in Okinawa
What a wonderful text, it explains a lot! Thank you very much for the link.

Sabotaging the inertial dampers as a means of destroying a ship once it attempts a jump to hyperspace is an exotic idea. I know the empire was not trying to destroy the Falcon, it was different, but thinking about how the ship would break apart under the stress of acceleration would make a spectacular scene in any movie.

Last edited:
Both agree and disagree. For an owner who constantly like to tinker with his ship, yeah, I would have liked to see more changes - the latest engines and whatnot. Hey, even some panels painted differently, I mean, wasn't the point of the various colours that Han had patched the Falcon with whatever he had available, and didn't have time to repaint to match the hull? After 30 years, I would have thought she'd either be completely repaired/repainted, or have a whole bunch of new battle damage. I have to disagree on the radar dish though. From a design perspective I just like how the classic version of the ship is composed of circles - in portrait, the circular radar balances the cockpit beautifully, while the rectangle just looks kinda clunky and slapped on.

maybe this might be a past flashback? They didn't do it with any of the other movies though. But, seeing as they're picking up from 30 years after ROTJ, they're filling in what may have happened in that timeframe?

The new X-Wing looks pretty awesome. Love the blue paint scheme. I also wonder when we'll get a decent kit of it from somewhere?

Mark in Okinawa

That is a really good read. Thanks for sharing.

The new X-Wing looks pretty awesome. Love the blue paint scheme. I also wonder when we'll get a decent kit of it from somewhere?

Well, Bandai's got the license now for 1/72. Hopefully we'll get some good kits from them, although I wouldn't expect them right away.

Well, Bandai's got the license now for 1/72. Hopefully we'll get some good kits from them, although I wouldn't expect them right away.

It would be corporate malpractice for Disney not to have a set of models ready for sale in December 2015 when the movie is released. They've owned Lucasfilm for a couple years now. Lucasfilm has done this before. They're professionals. To not have tie-in items ready to go when demand is highest would be like saying, "Meh, we don't need to make more money."

On the other hand, model kits might not be high on the release priority, well behind toys, books, games, Angry Birds junk and fathead wall graphics!
I exaggerate, but we'll have to see. They're kits are trickling out now - but you're right, they probably have their cad dudes working on them now. The release will probably be more akin to releasing Gundams during the current shows runs, rather than with Macross, with products coming out months after the show ends.

Hopefully they'll do a 1/72 Falcon. The Fine Molds that I've seen look great, but are too expensive for me.

True.

But if you were now a general and you had your prize vehicle from your younger days, wouldn't you restore it?

There are different kinds of collectors out there. Han Solo made a lot of modifications to the Falcon. If he restored it all to factory specs he would have to loose all the personality he put into it. That would be like removing the turbo charge and glass packs... and the Mag wheels, so it could look and ride like an old car, again.

Just re watching the trailer, it looks to me like the X-Wing has a single control stick the pilot is holding as opposed to the yolk control in the OT. Anyone else see it that way?

Just re watching the trailer, it looks to me like the X-Wing has a single control stick the pilot is holding as opposed to the yolk control in the OT. Anyone else see it that way?

The X-Wings in the OT had sticks as well, not yolks, as is seen in the trench run when the proton torpedoes are fired.

SB

There are different kinds of collectors out there. Han Solo made a lot of modifications to the Falcon. If he restored it all to factory specs he would have to loose all the personality he put into it. That would be like removing the turbo charge and glass packs... and the Mag wheels, so it could look and ride like an old car, again.
I don't mean take it back to factory specs, I mean that he would probably do what he's always wanted to do to it. And that probably means fixing the plating.

The way I see it, if he's a general cruising around in a flagship, then this thing is either sitting in a hanger (with a tech crew keeping it tuned, tricked out,waxed and polished) or he's just let it rust. (Or someone else has it now)

Since it doesn't seem all that cleaned, I'm gonna guess that he hasn't really used it since Jedi. Which says that our heroes end up in a pinch and need to get to the falcon...NOW

(how great would it be to see Han and chewie escaping a burning flagship on the falcon? I'd love to see a tracking shot following him into the hangar, up the ramp, into the cockpit and out of the hangar... All in one shot)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back