New Episode 7 X-wing

I don't think that cgi speeder is the finished article, on the close up of her there is stuff strapped to the side, like a maul saber styled pike. On the gci one it s not there :)

I'm not so sure those two shots are actually contiguous although it's edited in the trailer to look like it is. As noted, the staff thing is missing in the second shot and she also has her goggles down. In the first shot, they are up.

I've never understood why anyone would actually think the wings of an x-wing would have anything to do with it's flight ability. In all of SW lore, except for maybe the kite thing the ewok flew in, has there ever been any flying vehicle in the SW universe that relies on actual lift and air pressure science? Why would an x-wing be the one and only vehicle that relies on real world flight science? Why would anyone in that universe use such a vehicle as a warship? That would be like using a canoe against motorboats.

Besides, the very first time we see an x-wing in episode 4 we see it doing a vertical liftoff. It's obvious the wings have nothing to do with it's flight capability.

I think it looks too bulky. This is set years after Episode VI and in that one they had speeder bikes that were fast and trim. This one has a windscreen that doesn't even work to protect the rider. It looks like something that fell off the drawing board for Episode I.

TazMan2000

That is probably a repurposed X-34 (luke's landspeeder) look at the engines.
It would make sense, if Daisy Ridley's character is a scavenger mechanic.

That is probably a repurposed X-34 (luke's landspeeder) look at the engines.
It would make sense, if Daisy Ridley's character is a scavenger mechanic.

I'm not sure that's an X-34, but I see where you're coming from with the character being a scavenger mechanic. Anakin Skywalker had a knack with mechanical things and why shouldn't another character exhibit those traits, especially if they're a Jedi. It's all speculation at this point anyway. I was hoping for another cool design to come from the teaser, other than the new X-wing. This new speeder looks more of a tug and has more of a steampunkish aura about it.

TazMan2000

I'm betting that the wind deflectors purpose is more to protect the controls on the dash from getting dirty like you would see on a motorcycle.

Isn't it awesome to be nit-picking Star Wars vehicles again? :) If I might chime in, one minor irritant of mine from an engineering standpoint is the fact that the upper & lower wings of the X-wings aren't mirror images of one another in plan view (the lower is substantially smaller). Perhaps the upper wing houses avionics or something..? Anxiously awaiting blueprints/sketchbook. :)

Isn't it awesome to be nit-picking Star Wars vehicles again? :) If I might chime in, one minor irritant of mine from an engineering standpoint is the fact that the upper & lower wings of the X-wings aren't mirror images of one another in plan view (the lower is substantially smaller). Perhaps the upper wing houses avionics or something..? Anxiously awaiting blueprints/sketchbook. :)

I don't know, they look the same to me... at least from the front they do.

new-episode-7-x-wing-jj-abrams-x-wing-png-410197d1417225424

The falcon in the trailer is not either the 32 or the 5 footer... its some kind of hybrid. If you look at the capture of the TIE fighters coming at it - the rear engine deck is clearly patterned after the 5 foot model... but the CGI model that was used for the "special edition remaster" was clearly the based off the 32" model. The "new" falcon is flat like the 32, but with sidewalls like the 5 footer.

On another note wasn't the rumor that they new production (episode 7) was going to use real models... I was so hoping that was true.

But back to the topic of this thread the new x-wings rock... They seem to me to be a mix of the original McQuarrie drawings with the split 1/2 cylinder engine intakes and the ANH model as it was built, with a little split wing action thrown in... Awesomeness all around.

Jedi Dade

On another note wasn't the rumor that they new production (episode 7) was going to use real models... I was so hoping that was true.

Kathleen Kennedy had alluded to using actual miniatures, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen unfortunately. I was so hoping that they would.

Since this one looks alot like the McQuarrie concept I really want to paint one up with the concept paint job. I think it would look really sharp. I remember a while back there was a concept X-wing kit around, I wonder how it compares.

31-Dogfight.png

Yes I thought Star Wars 7 was all about going back to the roots -- hands-on prop and movie-making and that real models would be complementing the CG stuff - so I'm hopeful about it. I wish there were no CGI at all, but I guess they're taking advantage of the technology that's there. So as long as there are real model scenes, I'm willing to look past the CGI, maybe even the dead eye motion capture characters (I think -- ulp!)

Analyzing a fictional space fighter, yay... I wonder, how come they do not use safety belts on X-wings? I would have thought they'd upgrade. How do they stay on their seats? Artifical gravity?

The Y-wings had no seat belts either but A-wings, B-wings and Snowspeeders did. Go figure. I love the aurebesh "Pull to Inflate" on Oscar Isaac's vest, though, a safety belt would've obscured that. :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back