Bandai SW kits appear to be out in Japan!

Interesting that the colored and clear parts are in special sections of the same tree, but attached on as if they were manufactured separately. Would seem to support the idea that they're printed, because injection molding just doesn't work that way.

They do that with a lot of kits nowadays. And by "they" I mean Bandai.

I've got both the X-Wing and Vader's TIE on order and I have plans to do a review myself once they arrive in about a week. Good thing I have some FineMolds scrap decals sitting around as I think the approach they took is a little better than Bandai's, which seems to use a muted color pallete perhaps to simulate weathering. I won't be doing Red Five either as I plan to do Red Three or Red Leader to compliment my FineMolds Red 2 build (which is holding up rather well after all these years).

They look like inaccurate kid toys, I have two lighted Enterprises models by Bandai made a few years ago which put these SW models to shame. I was really hoping Bandai would have come out with the same quality they did with the Star Trek Enterprises, Was hoping they would release a Star Destroyer with that same light concept, the light effect are amazing on their Enterprise models.

Gerardo

They look like inaccurate kid toys
Gerardo

???? They already have better proportions than the FM kits, details seem to be on par, have more optional features (nose cones, canopy w/glass or without), etc. Not sure the inaccurate kid toys is a fair description????? I'll reserve final judgement when I have my kit in hand.

The Star Destroyer does look nice although the first thing that I'd do would be to cut the side trench walls height by about 25%.

As much as I'm enjoying the Hasbro big Falcon, if Bandai did a 1/72 MF based on the original 5-footer, getting the proportions (especially the fatter hull curvature!) right for the first time EVER, I'd happily plunk down money the wife doesn't know about to get one. While I'm dreaming, they could have interchangeable bottom hull sections to build either the ANH 3-gear version or the TESB 5-gear version. I can dream....
You and I share the same dream!

I'm very impressed by level of detail of their work so far,....the optional parts on the X Wing....the way Vaders TIE goes together leaving it open for a custom version......imagine what they could do with a Falcon model!!

I've said this before here & on other forums,....what I'd love to see would be the Rebel Blockade Runner......it was only the first Star Wars ship that was seen in the films!!!

J

In the pictures I've seen so far, the detail looks slightly "mushy" to me. I think the Fine Molds castings are much crisper.That being said, the price difference is an enticement.

Don't be surprised if they later release diorama accessories like display bases or hangars for the vehicles, they've made modular ones for gundams so it wouldn't surprise me if they really branch out the franchise.

...what I'd love to see would be the Rebel Blockade Runner......it was only the first Star Wars ship that was seen in the films!!!

Something tells me a Blockade Runner will be something we have to wait another dozen years to get. Bandai already has a big line of OT ships announced for the next couple of years and starting in one year there's a brand new film to promote. I'd love to have one, but...

???? They already have better proportions than the FM kits, details seem to be on par, have more optional features (nose cones, canopy w/glass or without), etc. Not sure the inaccurate kid toys is a fair description????? I'll reserve final judgement when I have my kit in hand.

They might have better proportions but the oversized panel lines and other soft details just throws me off, reminds me of a improved Action Fleet toy, I don't care about all the bells and whistles I just want a realistic looking model, being a Studio scale modeller/collector is probably why to my eyes they look toyish. I've seen a built Fine Mold Slave I in person and it was amazing! the details, panel lines were super fine and crisp, looked like a movie prop.

Gerardo

Last edited:
You and I share the same dream!

I'm very impressed by level of detail of their work so far,....the optional parts on the X Wing....the way Vaders TIE goes together leaving it open for a custom version......imagine what they could do with a Falcon model!!

I've said this before here & on other forums,....what I'd love to see would be the Rebel Blockade Runner......it was only the first Star Wars ship that was seen in the films!!!

J

There is a Blockade Runner option that I'm not sure if you know about that looks pretty good. It's from the X-wing miniatures game. I have it and the Rebel Transport, they both look really good despite being gaming miniatures.

I'll bet that they are holding off on a new MF for the movies to come out. It appears that the MF dish was replaced with a rectangle dish, probably something to do with Lando. They'll probably have options for both dishes. http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/11/rumor-clip-from-force-awakens-trailer.html

1422641_10152837160742243_2433897461055039588_n.jpg

Hey guys. Someone over at SSM was kind enough to photograph all the runners on the Bandai X-wing and post a side by side with the Fine Molds fuselage.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/s...ry/models/Bandai X-Wing fighter?sort=2&page=1

Those panel lines are indeed thicker as we had guessed they would be. I still need to see them in person to decide how I feel about that. If it's too much, it could always be sprayed with a couple of coats of high build filler primer and after that they'd probably be just right.

The panel lines on the Fine Molds are VERY difficult not to accidentally erase with layers of paint because they are so thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I hope that's not the 1/1700 Star Destroyer on display there...it looks to be 1/17000.
The minature helmets look good, but I'm wondering about the gritty painting of C3PO, Darth Vader and the TIE Pilot. I wonder what happened there? Boba Fett looks good and I'm pretty impressed with the AT-ST.

TazMan2000

The c3p0,vader and tie pilots look as though they've been 3d printed. Maybe they were done hurriedly for the press conference.

...The minature helmets look good, but I'm wondering about the gritty painting of C3PO, Darth Vader and the TIE Pilot. I wonder what happened there?...
The c3p0,vader and tie pilots look as though they've been 3d printed. Maybe they were done hurriedly for the press conference.
I concur with 32buds; they appear to be 3D printed prototypes.

So far the only thing I've seen that I like is the AT-ST. The X-Wing looks too toy like (and I have enough X-Wings already), the proportions of the TIE X-1 look a little off (though they apparently got more of the little details right on their kit than Fine Molds did), and the figure kits I was initially interested in look more like action figures. Looks like I'll be saving money by not having to buy them now.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back