Silly Indy fedora question.

augofett

Sr Member
We know thera have been several models used along the four films, and even in the YIJC. Different manufacturers, different felt, different crown height, etc...
But the question is:
Is the hat supposed to be always the same. I mean the same given to him by "Fedora" in TLC? Or thas Indiana Jones have several hats he uses along his different adventures?

Given how all his clothes would have had to be burnt after his nuclear contamination and he still had one afterwards, plus the one he lost infiltrating the submarine base, I would say he has a big shelf full of them in his house.

I go with "replaced often." But "Fedora" started him on the trend, and maybe he still keeps a really beat up version of that one somewhere in his house. It's also worth noting that his hat in YIJC is very different, and often looks closer to a bush hat than a men's dress hat.

I always imagined Indy's closet looking something like this.. only of course with leather jackets, hats, adventure shirts, etc..

limitedwardrobe1.jpg

That's partially why I've decided to weather my Indy gear naturally and don't have a problem wearing the costume without full weathering.. Indy must have had to adventure in new gear at some point too!

You also have to consider that hats were still a regular part of a man's wardrobe during that time period so I'm pretty sure that he would replace his hats on a regular basis as some some got too beat up and nasty looking to be acceptable for wearing in public.

Keep in mind he was a professor so he'd be buying suits from time to time, either from a tailor or a department store. Being that it was the 30's his clothier would also have had a fine selection of hats.

Since he loses the whip in the beginning and immediately has a back-up, it's a given that he's got a few hats, which, as was said above, were a staple of everyone's wardrobe at the time.

You also have to consider that hats were still a regular part of a man's wardrobe during that time period so I'm pretty sure that he would replace his hats on a regular basis as some some got too beat up and nasty looking to be acceptable for wearing in public.

True. Although, you'd be surprised the kind of punishment a well-made, good-quality felt hat like that can take. I've got a 3x beaver black cowboy hat that I wore for about 18 years on horse-packing trips, deep into the mountains in Montana, and it got plenty of wear and tear. The worst thing that happened to it was that it developed a patina of dust that never went away, and the lining started to pull away from the sweat band. Now, that said, I wouldn't wear the thing to a dress event (even one in Texas, where a dress cowboy hat might be appropriate), but I didn't need to replace the thing, as long as it held its shape.

My Akubra Federation gets worn plenty during the colder weather months, and in the rain, and has traveled with me overseas and back in an airplane overhead compartment. These things can take plenty of weathering.

Keep in mind he was a professor so he'd be buying suits from time to time, either from a tailor or a department store. Being that it was the 30's his clothier would also have had a fine selection of hats.

Tailor, almost certainly. True bespoke tailors were a lot more common back then than they are now, and machine-made, mass-produced suits were the exception, rather than the rule. In my opinion, a man only really needs three hats total: black, brown, and grey. Although you can expand that to include more shades of grey or brown.

This comes up on COW. Someone found a quote from Harrison Ford in which he states that it's supposed to be the same hat throughout. Although I agree that's kind of ridiculous.

What, the captain of the Bantu Wind mailed it to him?

I mean, if you want to enjoy the fantasy that Indy's hat is to Indy what Mjolnir is to Thor, hey, go for it. Me, I'm operating under the assumption that he's got a couple of 'em. :)

I always figured he had multiple hats, however the way he "rescues" his hat on a few occasions at the risk of his personal well-being you could be forgiven for thinking that was due to an emotional attachment to the same had that Fedora gave him all those years ago.

I always figured he had multiple hats, however the way he "rescues" his hat on a few occasions at the risk of his personal well-being you could be forgiven for thinking that was due to an emotional attachment to the same had that Fedora gave him all those years ago.

That or he rescues his hat because he thinks, "This thing costs almost $200! I don't want to spend another $200 for another one!" J/k. :)

Gosh... where is the suspension of disbelief? Yes, it's supposed to be the same hat... all the way from 1912 through to the 1990s. Is it unrealistic? Sure, but that's part of the magic. It's a lucky charm, a talisman, a superhero's cape.

And yes, Captain Katanga saved all of his gear and returned it to him. He's a good pirate.

Ironically though, IIRC, in one of the novels, the hat is about to be lost when one of Indy's sidekicks risks his life to save it only to be rebuked by Indy with "It's only a hat!". ;)

My two cents,
Magnoli

Most men didn't have a collection of hats. They had a hat. Perhaps one dress hat, one casual. Hats of the 30's were also quite superior to anything available today. A "cheap" Stetson (which was the high end/marquee brand) would put a modern Akubra to shame. Hats of the day were meant to be stripped down and reblocked/rebuilt as needed by a competent hatter.

Plus, I think it's pretty much implied by the film that it's the same hat. It never leaves his head, and when it does, he's always gotta snatch it.

But it wasn't a hat of the 30s was it?

Not if its the same hat Fedora man gave him in 1912, and who knows, maybe he got it from another explorer in the 1880s when he was a kid.

Couldn't have said it better. In real life timeline there's probably a shelf of hats. But in movie timeline it is supposed to be the same hat. And it is believeable because of the same look.
I think they wanted to follow that term also with the whip. But it is clearly visible that they vary from movie to movie.

I mean, come on folks. They may want it to seem like it's the same hat, but that's...pretty ridiculous, even in a series built around divine-powered artifacts and such. The logical leaps required to make it the exact same hat the whole way through, particularly going back to the YIJC era...it's just a bit far-fetched. While I can believe that the hat could survive the bulk of the punishment it took, what I can't believe is that it was ALWAYS recoverable. E.G. the Bantu Wind.

Plus, hell, the hat itself changed in the course of filming, the same way the whips did.

Now, if folks want to claim that Indy's hat always magically returns to him, fine and dandy. Enjoy that. But I think there's ample evidence that he had several hats. Hell, he even has a grey one that he wears on the airplane!

Well, if you ask a "silly question" you know what you get.
Absolutely! Brainstorm!
I personally like the idea that he has a shelf with all his hats displayed, gets his date there and says: "Wow I remember I wore this hat while I was hanging from a bridge in India!""

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back