My DL44's (airsoft + 3d printed parts)

guabe

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been designing greeblies for star wars prop replicas for a while and used to machine them (not me) but now 3d printing has come along way, and found that the quality and price of shapeways is a great compromise.

I made greeblies for airsoft mausers and have made several DL44's for fellow 501st members.

A few pics of the blasters

Luke ESB
DL44s0002.jpg

DL44s0008.jpg

MerrSonn Power 5 (black handles)
DL44s0004.jpg

DL44s0007.jpg

MerrSonn Power 5 (brown handles) this is for Darth Nazgul
DL44s0005.jpg

DL44s0006.jpg

I have been updating the 3d models to increace accuracy and detail and I think it's looking good.

So far I have designed greeblies for 5 blasters

collection.jpg

I am currently working on the Greedo killer design as well as the Han ROTJ. I'm also waiting on the 3d printed parts for a Han ANH blaster... Can't wait to work on that one.

I have a shapeways shop if you want to make your own and I also have a lot of different Greeblies there that you might want to check out. All of the models in there have been drawn by me https://www.shapeways.com/shops/gg4g?sort=newest

I am planning on getting a 3d printer for making my own stuff but not everything because of the quality of the parts that shapeways offer...

Thanks for watching.

DL44s0002.jpg

DL44s0008.jpg

DL44s0004.jpg

DL44s0007.jpg

DL44s0005.jpg

DL44s0006.jpg

collection.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very interesting! I've done a couple of airsoft-based DL-44s using hardware store parts. It's good to know this stuff is available; I may want to build a Merr-Sonn.

Have you seen the UKArms C96? I think it replaces the Double Eagle we have been using. I think it's a mixed bag: quality looks about the same; it has a static thumb safety but the barrel is glued on (often crooked.)

I have not seen the ukarms c96... i have been trying to look for a more accurate airsoft but have had no luck... I know the denix i very nice looking but for the 501st guys they wanted something cheaper and light weight for trooping with it...

thanks..

Bye the way the pictures show the first set of models printed, the models currently in my shop are more accurate and have more greeblies. Ill post more pictures once I print more.

Here are some renders of the blasters
MerrSonnPower5.jpg

HanHeroANH.jpg

HanESBDL44.jpg

MerrSonnM4402.jpg

Fantastic Stuff. How do you feel the 3D printed parts look from Shapeways? Do they have a lot of print lines or are they smooth? Any sanding needed? What is you preference on the different plastics they use. Which one are you using for printing.

The parts vary in grainyness depending on the material you select. The layers are almos invisible in the standard white color, and not visible when selecting the polished option. I have yet to sand a part.. but mostly because I like the grainyness as is... (others might want to sand the flash suppressor a bit for example... )

other examples of parts un painted and straight from shapeways

Commpad0001.jpg

Commpad0003.jpg

Holoprojector01.jpg

The ones shown in my blaster pics are just painted...i did not do anythine else on them; oh and regarding strenght... http://youtu.be/kVwNkahASec?list=UUJcHykrTEx0UraayFLJbKDQ

Again If I had my own printer I would still use shapeways on most stuff that is either curved or highly detailed. Larger pieces are not price competitive to a 3d PLA printer, but small detailed stuff yes.

I strongly recommend Shapeways.

By the way, I made my models downloadable if you guys have a 3d printer feel free, however the models are optimized for the shapeways printers so you might have to tweak them to make them work in other home printers. Just please do not mis use the files, I have placed a lot of time and effort in to making these.

Have fun.

Nice blasters, and very cool stuff in your Shapeways list! Wish I had found those a few weeks ago I'd have bought some bits instead of scratchbuilding for my current project. But those blaster parts may come in handy, thanks for making them!

Thank you so much for your comments. Oh I also made stuff for the 6 inch black series line... I love 3d printing and since i am not very crafty, but I can use the mouse and keyboard pretty well LOL..

Han19.jpg

before paint...
Han08.jpg

and I made the Jabba throne gargoyles...
JT0001.jpg

JT0002.jpg

JT0003.jpg

JT0004.jpg

Anyways... I should be getting the Han ANH kit in the next week or so... And Ill post the pics of the parts and the assembly process...

Thanks again

Ok so I made another stand that should hold its own... and added a name plate, how does it look?

msp5stand01.jpg

msp5stand02.jpg

Thanks, I ordered 3 for my DL44 collection. Hope they turn out fine.

The Han Kit arrives next week. Ill post pics when it does.

I redesigned the stand again so that the name plates are interchangeable. You can also display the blaster on both directions and just place the pname plate in the opposite side. the name plate also swivels a bit. Also this would make it easier to paint or change the plate material. (fortunately my order was not proccessed yet so I canceled it and made a new order with the updated version)

lukestand01.jpg

lukestand03.jpg

lukestand04.jpg

lukestand05.jpg

lukestand06.jpg

lukestand07.jpg

Plate color changes:
625x465_2809730_7201954_1414604487.jpg

625x465_2809730_7201965_1414604568.jpg

625x465_2809730_7201977_1414604621.jpg

So I recieved the Han Solo kit and worked on it this weekend. For being the first one I think it turned out good enough... I will make some corrections to the kit for more accuracy. Also For some stupid reason i forgot to add the screw caps to the order and I had to improvise.

Hanweathered01.jpg

Hanweathered03.jpg

Hanweathered04.jpg

Hanweathered07.jpg

Hanweathered08.jpg

Hanweathered09.jpg

HSANHV1_01.jpg

HSANHV1_02.jpg

found the third and missing screw cap this morning
HSANHV1_03.jpg

Also I made some improvements to the Merr Sonn Power 5 I had.
MerrSonnP5.jpg

My collection so far:
myblasters.jpg

I will be updating the models this week and will all be listed here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/gg4g

I have recently printed some greeblies for me just in case you are curious of how these turn out.
boxnsnaps01.jpg

boxnsnaps04.jpg

3dparts04.jpg

Thanks.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back